Limited number of custom maps within a day

Started by mpl, March 28, 2010, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpl

There are lot of new map authors that upload 5-10 new maps in a day. Usually this means that the quality of maps is really low.

If the uploading was limited to one or two maps in a day, maybe this would force authors to put more thought in the maps and play them couple of times to find errors before uploading.

Karsten75

This is probably a really good idea. I  see a large number of maps coming through that has little or no merit IMHO.

UpperKEES

Agreed. One per day should be fine. If you spread them they will get more attention anyway.

I don't understand people uploading so many crappy maps. I'm testing a few maps for weeks now and wouldn't upload them before they are 'perfect'. It's quality not quantity that counts.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

I totally agree, there are some map makers that really start to irritate me.
It's like they haven't even played their maps once before uploading them.

Karsten75

This brings up another point. Maybe Virgil could  add the map evaluations to come up with a rating for map makers. Then display the map maker's star rating as well as their map star rating?

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 29, 2010, 02:58:18 PM
This brings up another point. Maybe Virgil could  add the map evaluations to come up with a rating for map makers. Then display the map maker's star rating as well as their map star rating?

Ratings are never a good solution, you've got a lot of people who give a map 1 star just because they can't beat it, that won't be different for map maker ratings.

I'd say rank it on downloads but that won't work either as some bad (and even impossible maps) get downloaded a lot of times because everyone wants to know why those maps are bad or impossible.

SPIFFEN

This wouldnt work well i think .
If 100 member made 1 bad map every day ,
there still is 100 map every day .

And if there is 1 player that uploade 5 good/okey maps one/every day ,
those maps wouldnt get out for an long time if the limit is set at 1 or 2 maps pr day .

But i agree it sucks that good maps get "lost" because so many maps gets uploaded so fast ,
Thats why i asked about more random maps in the top ,
in this thread :
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=922.0
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

One person will never make 5 good maps a day, as a good map will take at least a full day to develop and test.

People who post so many maps should really question themselves if these maps are worth publishing. Maps with slight alterations are completely uninteresting for me (unless it's an important update, which isn't a good sign either). Decide what your map is about and decide what needs to be done. And TEST IT thoroughly!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

LOL, SPIFFEN is one of those that would be impacted by the 1-map-a-day rule!  :)

Many of his maps are variations on a theme. I don't know how they are received by the players, so I can't venture an opinion on whether, for instance, it would serve the community  to limit his maps.

Many of the new map makers can probably get good feedback if they are allowed only 1 map a day.

Blaze

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 30, 2010, 12:17:02 PM
Decide what your map is about and decide what needs to be done. And TEST IT thoroughly!

I always do that!  :D

Yes i think that it should be one a day. However people might use different names to upload with.
Maybe make us make an account? Or use our forum account. Make more people join the forums.

Sqaz

What's wrong with people uploading multiple maps a day? SPIFFEN for example posts multiple maps a day and his maps aren't crap.
And if I can choose between 10 bad maps in one day or one bad map every day for 10 days I'd pick the first option.

Blaze

Five? Just something to limit the amount posted.

SPIFFEN

He he , many of my maps sucks ,
but i hope they inspire others to make better maps .

So bad maps can make someone else to make good maps ,
then the bad maps might not be so bad afterall =P

And there might be someone who works with an serie of 5 maps ,
that might get posted all at once .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

SPIFFEN

I think most of my maps should give an nice play for most players ,
but they might suck for the players that are super advanced .

And thx to you Sqaz , for not thinking that my maps are crap =) .
How to make links