Higher Elevations give More Range.

Started by teengamer, February 02, 2010, 10:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teengamer

For instance, if you have a blaster or mortar at level 4, where it goes off into 3, +2 range is given, but not where it doesn't go down. This could also work with lower ranges with mortars. And virgil, could this be easily implemented, or would it be next to impossible.

The Creep Destroyer

I think this idea makes great sence, realisticly and gamewise. Personaly i would think it wouln't be so hard to code, but i dont know how to program.
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

teengamer

The problem would be that it wouldn't always give +2 range bonus or whatever, just when near a cliff. And the bigger the cliff, the more range bonus. BTW, I have done a little coding before  ;D

The Creep Destroyer

So basicly if they are on the edge of it and are fireing downwards to the next level they get the bonus, so if they fired from T5 to T1, would they get a bigger bonus than T5 to T4?
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

Biglulu

Quote from: The Creep Destroyer on February 02, 2010, 11:51:44 PM
So basicly if they are on the edge of it and are fireing downwards to the next level they get the bonus, so if they fired from T5 to T1, would they get a bigger bonus than T5 to T4?
Yup.

Aurzel

i dont like it, cw is a 2d game with elevations, not a flat 3d game lol

UpperKEES

Quote from: Aurzel on February 03, 2010, 01:56:05 AM
i dont like it, cw is a 2d game with elevations, not a flat 3d game lol
Oh, I thought it was a flat 3D game. This because it seems that the maximum distance between two collectors gets reduced a tiny bit when they are on different elevations.

Quote from: teengamer on February 02, 2010, 10:09:17 PM
The problem would be that it wouldn't always give +2 range bonus or whatever, just when near a cliff. And the bigger the cliff, the more range bonus.
I like the idea, but coding might be harder than you think. Not to calculate where the deepest Creeper is in range, but to correctly display the range of a mortar, which won't be a circle anymore.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Aurzel

no collectors can connect the same distance, it might be that you cant build it right up against the cliff that's throwing you off

UpperKEES

I tested it and you are right. The diagonal placement might have been misleading.

Biglulu

Aurzel

well actually it wouldnt, if anything the blaster should have a smaller range when shooting down hill if you want to be 'realistic'

UpperKEES

That's exactly what we were saying (Pythagoras), although I was referring to the distance between two objects (to which you can apply the same). One square less per elevation level would be nice, but I guess that most players wouldn't realize why this distance suddenly seems to become shorter, viewing it from 'above'.

Aurzel

well in keeping with that mortars would have to shoot further at lower ground and shorter at higher ground, its all very annoying lol

Capn Trey

Well, a "realistic" laser would fire an near infinite distance with an exponentially decreasing power the longer it travels.

At a certain range it would be so diffuse that it wouldn't cause any damage.

Do blasters shoot lasers?

Aurzel

i think so, and you're right about that but the blaster's range is its effective range, beyond which it would do so little damage to the creeper that its not worth firing it