Custom Map: A City On A Hill

Started by AutoPost, May 22, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: A City On A Hill

Author: Orion

Desc:
Fortifying yourself on your little mountain is not enough, you must take the offensive.

peter

I have to ask if this map is possible, as it would appear it is not possible to link OC with any other part of the map without relays, which are not available.

Karsten75

I think the map requires that you fly one or more units continually to provide linkages.  Not my kind of map.

Edit: I would certainly not have approved the map without an author-submitted score in order to ensure that the author knew how much of a pain it would be to keep at least one unit in the air at all times.

peter

If that is how the author intended on the map being finished, then I have to agree that they should have submitted a score to start with.

I also agree that it is not my kind of map as I prefer ones that a small error will not cause early destruction while building.  Flying to complete a map is one thing, but continual flying of units for the entire time is just a bit much for me to contemplate doing when I have no idea how long the map may take to complete.

SPIFFEN

Yes i also think this map needs way to much moving to be finnished =(
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Katra

As bridging setups go this one is pretty easy. I mostly used pause for building or moving units on the flat; keeping the flying bridge units on target as the game ran (with no loss of connection for the entire campaign on the flat.) Once I got several collectors on the flat I did keep two blasters flying on different courses as a safety measure.

To start I mostly filled the hilltop with collectors and reactors; and both lower corners with charged, disarmed blasters. Then dropped several blasters off the bottom corner of the hill with a collector and flying blaster to link them.

Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

peter

Well done Katra, you have far more patience than I do.  I get too bored to quickly when I have to keep using the pause button to play a map.

F0R

but this is the worlds most boring map

peter

Quote from: F0R on May 23, 2010, 06:46:22 AM
but this is the worlds most boring map

I think http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=3044 would be that map.  60+ Minutes of doing nothing then 5 minutes actually linking things.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on May 22, 2010, 06:22:53 PM
I would certainly not have approved the map without an author-submitted score in order to ensure that the author knew how much of a pain it would be to keep at least one unit in the air at all times.

The map seemed solvable at first sight. After Spiffen rated a map that required crazonium bridgging 'Trivial', I'm not changing the difficulty rating anymore.

Like Katra I use the pause button a lot (more than 50% of the playing time).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Katra

I don't think I used pause even 50% of play time. IMO not as bad as some of the maps which lag due to huge numbers of reactors and weapons.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!