Custom Map: Sea Rescue

Started by AutoPost, April 20, 2010, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Sea Rescue

Author: deathsandwich

Desc:
You are the captain of your ship, but a fierce storm has grounded it deep in the ocean. People have already been swept off and the life rafts won't last long out there! Save the men and escape as fast as you can. Also, watch out for freak waves...

UpperKEES

I read in the Unapproved Map Discussion that I would have to be really careful with the mortars at the beginning.

Well, that's true. Even that careful that I couldn't bother to keep trying after about 30 minutes. If you would have made the start a little easier it could probably be have been a challenging and fun map. Now it's just too much micromanaging the mortars and waiting for the reactors to get built with the few packets that are not used by the mortars.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Tried 3 times. The 2nd time I managed to survive for a while and then I lost one of the pods. 1st and 3rd times I just lost early on.

deathsandwich

Argghh... It is not that bad!  :o If you do it the correct way, all you have to do is deactivate one mortar, stick the other mortar in the middle right side of the boat with two on the left, and it can keep the creeper away by itself. You can just leave all those three in their positions active while you build up your energy (although, keep them off at the beginning while the creeper begins to get deeper so the mortars at the back can be connected to the city before using all their fire power). You don't have to keep on activating/deactivating again and again...that isn't necessary.  :(

UpperKEES

No, it's not that bad. You've obviously thought about it and fine-tuned your map. It just has to be 'your thing'. I found the mortars consuming so much energy (also tried it with 3 of them), that the build up became very slow.

On the other hand you've rated it 'Expert Only', which correctly indicates there's little margin for mistakes. I guess there will be players around that like this kind of challenge. If you would have provided 1 or 2 upgrades, or a few reactors to start with, the kick off would be a little more pleasant in my opinion. In that case you could have removed one layer of walls to make the race for the survivors just as exciting.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

I would not worry about it. You made an interesting map (I liked it) and it is clearly like a puzzle. It's fine as it is. Perhaps not many people will beat it, but then that is an accolade in itself, since you intended not to make an easy map.

Noir

Of course as novice I had to try to the hardest map out there >.<
I will practice a little more, but I am going to solve it one day...since you set a time it is not impossible.

Hairball

I am having so much trouble with this map. 

I can get to a point where my energy deficit starts to go down (yay).  But right about then, one of the pods gets destroyed and I lose. 

I'm doing the thing where I put one on the right side and two on the left.  I'm building collectors one at a time, then I make a reactor once the whole boat is green.  That's about when I lose.

What should I spend the upgrades on?  I usually pick 10% more energy first, then I've tried the other two green ones.  What works best? 

Is building 20% faster better than building costing 10% less?  Time is an issue, but so is energy...

Katra

Building faster is useless if you're running a big deficit already. Maybe worse than useless if it diverts packets from ammo to building.

Depending on the map I'll usually take more energy or costs less to build first. (More energy if I have to feed weapons early; costs less if the map calls for a lot of building and little shooting at first.)  I'll also sometimes take added range first; particularly if it will let a mortar reach a deeper pool where normal range won't.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

DeaconSlim

Can someone take a screencap or something of how they started?

I can never make it.

Karsten75

Read the map author's post early in this thread.

DeaconSlim

I did...and no matter where I put the mortars on the left (on the top level, the second step, or the bottom on the left) and even keeping everything deactivated until the mortars are connected, as soon as I turn them on, they use up all the energy and eventually the creeper spills over the back of the boat and destroys the collectors and I sink.

Where on the "left" do you place the two mortars?

DeaconSlim

Went back and tried this one again and STILL can't get past it.

Survivors pod is destroyed before I can get there.

DeaconSlim

Anyone have any tips on this map?

And by tips I mean more than "2 on the left one on the right"

A screen cap of positions would be amazing.

DeaconSlim

Quote from: DeaconSlim on October 26, 2011, 10:44:52 PM
Anyone have any tips on this map?

And by tips I mean more than "2 on the left one on the right"

A screen cap of positions would be amazing.

Anyone?...lol...I still haven't been able to beat this one