Map Comments

Started by knucracker, April 16, 2010, 09:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

The custom map overview should have the old comments in ( ) ,
so its easyier to see what maps that have new comments .
( and later it would be easy to see what maps that have old comments )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 17, 2010, 10:44:59 PM
Virgil could consider installing a SMF mod that allows people to ignore specific boards. But the users still have to know about and customize it.

This would be great, as I am not interested in reading all map comments every time I log in to the forums.

Quote from: virgilw on April 17, 2010, 08:31:56 PM
I hope so....
I'm a little nervous since the comment rate has slowed up.  I expected this since john doe can no longer leave an anonymous comment anymore.  But I'm still hopeful that the comments won't dry up too much.

We'll know pretty soon I guess, as we should see a growth in number of forum members next week.

In any case, I've been hard at work on the bowels of the next game so a little break to get my database/php mojo charged up again is kinda refreshing.

My respect for so much work done in so little time without any bugs showing up!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

J

Mayby it's better when you click a map that under the scores directly the old comment system will be showed (you don't have to click the button).

knucracker

Once the topic creation settles down, there will only be as many topics created per day as there are maps posted (perhaps less, if nobody clicks on some maps).  This means there will be 10-20 topics per day created on average.

As for the old comment system, I guess I could show the old comments (for maps that have them) without having to click.

knucracker

So I have just abused smf and hacked it so that the map comment board doesn't show up in recent posts...  This should keep peoples' comments from flooding the forums if you use the "recent posts" functionality....  at least I hope it works.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on April 18, 2010, 10:40:00 AM
So I have just abused smf and hacked it so that the map comment board doesn't show up in recent posts...  This should keep peoples' comments from flooding the forums if you use the "recent posts" functionality....  at least I hope it works.

Props!

I see there are a few comments in the new system, though.  http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?board=9.0;sort=replies;desc

UpperKEES

Maybe a (temporary) brief description on the main map page could explain what changed and why. Here at the forums we all know, but this might not be the case for people who never visited the forums. It's also good for people to realize that commenting/feedback is important to a map maker and (if positive) often a great stimulant to create more.

BTW: what happened to this map? http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=2221.0

Kamron3

Virgil, it broked! =o

_k

knucracker

Uh, ah hem...
Nothing to see here, nothing at all... :)

Looks like a minor glitch.  The topics weren't for any actual maps, they were just some extra topics that got created because of one extra error case I missed.  I've nuked the empty topics that I saw.  If anybody sees any more, send me the link.  They were truly dead topics that had not map that pointed to them.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on April 18, 2010, 10:40:00 AM

Yea, I know it works and I gave you props. But now your hack is starting to become less useful. The flood of new threads  have largely died down and now I'd like to see actual discussions and comments on maps showing up in my unread list.

UpperKEES

You'll still see the 'new' button after every map topic that received new posts. I suggest keeping these map comments out of the unread posts, as most people probably don't want to go over every comment added. At least I don't, I just look up a map when I'm going to play it.

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on April 18, 2010, 06:04:24 AM

I hope so....
I'm a little nervous since the comment rate has slowed up.  I expected this since john doe can no longer leave an anonymous comment anymore.  But I'm still hopeful that the comments won't dry up too much.

We'll know pretty soon I guess, as we should see a growth in number of forum members next week.

Quote from: Forum Stats
2010-04-17      8   120   10
2010-04-18      4   74   9
2010-04-19      7   100   13

Above the forum stats for the past 3 days, with respectively the number of new posts, replies and new members. For a Monday that's a record I believe! (Bear in mind that autoposts are not included.)

Blaze

Quote from: virgilw on April 18, 2010, 10:00:54 AM
Once the topic creation settles down, there will only be as many topics created per day as there are maps posted (perhaps less, if nobody clicks on some maps).

I always click on the new maps so no map should or can get left out.

Kamron3

If we missed any thing I can automate the process. ;D

_k