Map Comments

Started by knucracker, April 16, 2010, 09:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamron3

From the test I saw, it listed the Map name, author, and a link to the map.

I didn't see a description(or maybe I just forgot)

_k

knucracker

Ok, lets give the new system a little trial run....
It is up currently.  If you pick a map from the map screen and click on it the next page will have a "View Comments" link.  The scores will also be shown.  If you click the View Comments link you will jump to the forum topic for the map.  From there you can post a reply.

If there are old comments on a map you will also have a little "view old comment system" link.  Click this an you will see the old comments (but you can't add to them anymore).

The comment count total shown on the main map page is the combination of the old comments and the new forums based comments.  Note that the first post in the forum topic doesn't count as a comment.  Only 'replies' to the topic count as comments.

Karsten75

All seems to work just as you said. Only trifling observation is that it is not clear, when on the maps page, what a user has to do to add their own comment. You may want to put some text on the comments page to say where and how one can comment on a map.

I think. Or maybe I'm hyper-thinking. That's also possible. I'll go lie down. Or have a cup of tea.

km

I'm sure there must be a reason for making this change, but I liked being able to make quick comments after a game, and to move between comments and scores. I am not interested in this sort of forum. Now I think I will stop making any comments as you have made it less user friendly.

Kamron3

Quote from: keithmalin on April 17, 2010, 01:55:44 PMas you have made it less user friendly.

It's actually more user-friendly, if you have a forum account. Allows a moderator to delete comments. The reason why the change was made was because people were abusing it.

_k

knucracker

Yes, it now eliminates really casual comments by non-forum members.  I had to surrender this so as to have a little better control over what gets posted and under what name it gets posted. 

If you have a forum account, it is a pretty clean system that lets you click the link on a map page and then read and reply.  Since it is in the forums, you can also now post screen shots, or look at the screen shots posted by others....

Karsten75

Quote from: keithmalin on April 17, 2010, 01:55:44 PM
I'm sure there must be a reason for making this change, but I liked being able to make quick comments after a game, and to move between comments and scores. I am not interested in this sort of forum. Now I think I will stop making any comments as you have made it less user friendly.

I understand your perspective and I sympathize. Unfortunately, the anti-spam measures only eliminate automated spamming, they did not eliminate gross and obscene comments by ill-meaning people. A few days ago someone got his knickers in a knot and got a bunch of his friends to come over and basically spam a few maps with bad comments. So now the new system where registration is required and it is easier to moderate comments.

Look at it this way. You already came here and made a comment. So you cleared all the hurdles for making further comments.  :)

Blaze

Virgil, I think your making a great step to keep knuckle cracker clean and thank you for that.

So I think that this system will work out much better then the old one.

knucracker

I hope so....
I'm a little nervous since the comment rate has slowed up.  I expected this since john doe can no longer leave an anonymous comment anymore.  But I'm still hopeful that the comments won't dry up too much.

In any case, I've been hard at work on the bowels of the next game so a little break to get my database/php mojo charged up again is kinda refreshing.

Karsten75

Yea, that might be a bit of a problem if comments dry up. I suppose it might only be A Really Big Problem© if the rate of play of maps decline also.

"A Really Good Idea" and "A Really Big Problem" are copyrighted by  Karsten75, Inc. and may not be reproduced or used without express written consent of the copyright owner.

SPIFFEN

I think the comments dryout is temp ,
it should be back after players get used to this and have clicked the : "mark all read button" .

There are alot of maps and players , so it might take some time ,
hopefully not to long .

Maybe it helps if someone start using this new comment thing =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

archn

My #1 concern was clicking on unread messages and seeing 40 pages of unread junk messages... but I'm assuming in the future this will slow down to 10 posts a day or so?

Karsten75

Quote from: archn on April 17, 2010, 10:25:15 PM
My #1 concern was clicking on unread messages and seeing 40 pages of unread junk messages... but I'm assuming in the future this will slow down to 10 posts a day or so?

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=1171.0

archn

Yep noticed that right after I posted... I wish there was a way to ignore the child board from new posts function altogether though.

Karsten75

Quote from: archn on April 17, 2010, 10:31:08 PM
Yep noticed that right after I posted... I wish there was a way to ignore the child board from new posts function altogether though.

Virgil could consider installing a SMF mod that allows people to ignore specific boards. But the users still have to know about and customize it.