Main Menu

Stolen map

Started by Colin, November 08, 2010, 12:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Um... Here is my custom map...

and here is another map... I would appreciate it if people didn't copy my maps, and not tell me.   :(

Is there something anyone can do about this kind of thing?
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Grauniad

Looking at the screenshots, it has been superficially modified.

There has been some discussion about this before and I believe the consensus is that this is unavoidable. I think it would be nice if authors at least gave credit for a base map, or obtain permission, but the fact remains that maps can be modified - I suggest that you take comfort in the old saying that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Perhaps you can post a comment on the copy-cap map discussion point highlighting the fact that it is a derivative map?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Colin

Yes I've read the discussion thread. However, I do not think the issue
at hand has been solved. Can someone give some closure on this topic?
I don't like people taking my map and changing things around a little
without my permission, now if they asked that is a different matter.

What I want to know is why would anyone even copy a map? It seems like
it defeats the purpose of having over 3000 custom maps if there are repeats
in there.

ontheworld

and the new map actually looks ten times worse to play... doesn't happen that often to me to see the copy being much worse...

SPIFFEN

I agree that you should ask if its okey to copy an map ,
and say so in the description of the map .

If you forget to give credit , make an comment about it ,
and make links if you know how to do so .
( You can always ask others to make links )

And im sure there its easy to make an map that looks simmilare to other maps ,
but thats not an problem , just say you got inspiered by that map =)
( I try to make maps that inspire others to make maps )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

thepenguin

I give my permission to anybody to modify\copy my maps as long as I get credit for the inspiration.
Also, I give permission for anybody to use cheats\bugs to submit scores on my maps

We have become the creeper...

Colin

Yes penguin, you can say that, and I respect your opinion. However,
I do not want anyone do modify a map that I made unless they ask
me if they can edit/modify my map that I spent time balancing how I
wanted it to work.

That is what I have a problem with.

ontheworld

Quote from: thepenguin on November 08, 2010, 03:09:47 PM
I give my permission to anybody to modify\copy my maps as long as I get credit for the inspiration.
Also, I give permission for anybody to use cheats\bugs to submit scores on my maps

you have said that another time, I don't think it is necesary to post that

Pyxis_GeeK

So how do you propose to keep this from happening? The person that "copied" your map isnt a member on the forums. So I'm not sure what action to take. I guess you can ban the name of the person submitting the map so they couldnt submit again. Im just not sure how to enforce it if we were to agree that we dont want anyone to copy maps. Some here dont mind.

Colin

Quote from: ontheworld on November 08, 2010, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: thepenguin on November 08, 2010, 03:09:47 PM

you have said that another time, I don't think it is necesary to post that

I wanted to clarify that to penguin, because he has posted
that before in the other thread.

ontheworld

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on November 08, 2010, 04:40:58 PM
So how do you propose to keep this from happening? The person that "copied" your map isnt a member on the forums. So I'm not sure what action to take. I guess you can ban the name of the person submitting the map so they couldnt submit again. Im just not sure how to enforce it if we were to agree that we dont want anyone to copy maps. Some here dont mind.

when there is a copied map, try to get to the original maker and ask him if the other has permission, if no, delete

UpperKEES

I think that maps obviously copied without the explicit permission of the original author should be removed.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: ontheworld on November 09, 2010, 10:01:18 AM
Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on November 08, 2010, 04:40:58 PM

when there is a copied map, try to get to the original maker and ask him if the other has permission, if no, delete

That would work if every mapmaker was active on the forums. Some mapmakers only have one or two maps and may not even be interested in CW any more.

I just think there needs to be a rule that noone can copy a map. If you get inspiration from other maps, I know I have, the new map needs to be your own creation. The few maps that I have gotten inspiration from I have created an entirely new map. I dont see the point in taking the time to take a map and tweak it here or there and resubmit it.

Colin

Does Virgil have the ability to physically delete maps from the custom map selection?
Also, there should be some type of message when submitting a map like:

"Be sure before you submit your map, if you have taken a map already in the custom
maps list and modified/edited it, ask the original creator if you can re-submit the map."

That added to one of the rules for submitting a map would help with this situation.
However, this means that before maps are verified the map map approvers have to
check all the custom maps for re-makes, which could make map approving very difficult.  :(

So I guess its back to the honor system, which works so well.  :-\

Grauniad

I suggest you let this go. This is not the worst catastrophe to befall you or the community.  Someone liked your map enough to want to make a few modifications to it. The new map *is* different than your map, but you have indicated on the comments page that your map was the first of that kind.

Derivative works happen all the time in real life. Sometimes people take it as a compliment and sometimes as an insult.

The harsh truth is also that you have given up your ownership of the map when you uploaded it. Read the terms and conditions.

Paragraph 2:
Contributor hereby grants to Developer full ownership and all intellectual property rights for all uploaded content for a perpetual and indefinite term, including but not limited to a non-exclusive, worldwide license (the "License") to electronically reproduce, electronically distribute, create derivative works of, publicly perform, publicly display and/or digitally perform the Content in connection with the Knuckle Cracker's objectives which are determined at the sole descretion of Knuckle Cracker LLC. Contributer further agrees to surrender all ownership rights to all uploaded content.

So yes, Virgil can delete a map, but the question is why should he delete a map that is different than other maps? And why would you make work for him when he could use that time to do other stuff like write CW2?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon