Should modified maps be permitted?

Started by Karsten75, September 23, 2010, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I'm suddenly seeing a whole lot of maps that are "modifications" of a previous map by a different author.

It has made me wonder what the community thinks about this:

Do you like to play a map that has been modified to a different set of parameters from the original?

As a map author, do you like to see your map modified to be more "playable?"

Edit to add some examples:

is a copy of

There is a copy of this map in the queue:

is a copy of this map

is a copy of this map

Sqaz

As it's an update to change an easy solution to the map (like a movable city and one totem), or some bridging tricks the author didn't forsaw I don't care.
But just modifying a map to maje it easier or harder by changing the emitters a little or placing some small terrain changes I think it's useless to upload that modification, as I won't play a map two times just because the difficulty changes, cause
a) I'm not good enough to beat a map and I have to accept it.
b) I'm too good for a map and if I want it to be harder I can just put on double down.

EDIT: And copying (or almost copying) a map should only be allowed with explicit permission of the author.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 23, 2010, 01:41:30 PM
Do you like to play a map that has been modified to a different set of parameters from the original?

No. I prefer playing the original as intended by the original author.

Certainly not and I don't give permission for that (just letting me know isn't good enough). Please let me know when one of my maps has been used without permission. I think copied maps shouldn't be accepted without explicit permission.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Pyxis_GeeK

I have only made a few maps but I would not like someone to copy them to make them easier(there not that hard anyway  :P ) As a mapmaker I would not resubmit a map after "tweaking" something here or there. Its a waste of my time, the map approvers time and the players time.

The only time a "tweaked map" should be resubmitted is if there is a mistake made by the author that completely makes the maps difficulty compromised. (This map comes to mind.)

I have to agree with KEES and that a copied map shoudnt be accepted without the original authors permission.

L'ythelle

I take way too much pride in my own work to ever copy someone else's. So what if I only ever came up with two ideas that worked out. They were both my own, and my maps do not resemble any by another author.

MadMag

I don't care, but I will never copy a map tho..

And if a map is copied it should at least be a better version, and give credit to the orginal author with link to the orginal map :)

UpperKEES

Quote from: MadMag on September 23, 2010, 06:36:42 PM
if a map is copied it should at least be a better version

But what is 'better'? That's an endless discussion, as the copy cat will always say his/her map is better than the original.

I think that if people like a certain idea it's fine to get inspired, but they should create a new map by themselves using this same principle. When I believe one of my maps needs 'improvements' I can handle this myself very well.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Blaze

Etna is a harder version and a easier version done by the same people, thus, is perfectly fine.

MadMag

You are right UpperKEES, what is better  ???

SPIFFEN

I think that you can copy an map and do enought changes to it , it should'nt be to much of an problem .
BUT DO GIVE CREDIT AND POST AN LINK TO THE MAP YOU COPY'D !

Asking if it's okey first does'nt hurt either , but if it's done by PM it would be hard for the map approvers to know it .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

MadMag

That can be solved with a rule in the submit map page. Don't submit a "copy map" without orginal author approval.

Rule broken = banned from forum/banned from submiting maps + sued

haha.. worse than IFPI, RIAA, BSA and MPAA :p

SPIFFEN

He he i'm glad i got approval from you to copy your map =P
Only map i copyed by intention i think ,
but i have given credit for map that have inspierd me to make maps .
Atleast i have tryed to do so =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

MadMag

You where kindly enough to give me credit on the map: Old Castle, that Joao Carlos copied also :)

SPIFFEN

I just had to post an link to your map , just posting credit in the desc is'nt enought if you ask me =P
( might be easy to forget to do so , but it should be done by someone =P )
How to make links

thepenguin

I don't really like to play a lot of copies of maps

I give my permission to anybody to modify\copy my maps as long as I get credit for the inspiration.
Also, I give permission for anybody to use cheats\bugs to submit scores on my maps
We have become the creeper...