Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1647: FPS: Wandering Fields

Author: Kaiden
Size: 320x200

Kaiden

Quote from: yewstmlab on May 25, 2021, 08:50:27 PM
Stop making maps

No, I'll make maps whether you like it or not, as long as I have some new ideas.

Malignantmind

I'm just gonna save everyone the hassle of playing this one.

I had high hopes at first. It looked like some of the suggestions were implemented (sniper upgrades, splitting up the spawners into individual forts, I don't think I saw a single one of the 25+ health enemies).

Unfortunately, there's a new unit. It doesn't follow you, but it flies all over the map dropping creeper. And there was like, 20 of these things zooming around. Often well out of sniper range. By the 15 minute mark, there was over 1 million creeper on the map. 5 minutes later, it had completely flooded the entire map making it unplayable.

So, don't waste your time playing this one.

Kaiden

Quote from: Malignantmind on May 25, 2021, 09:05:51 PM

I had high hopes at first. It looked like some of the suggestions were implemented (sniper upgrades, splitting up the spawners into individual forts, I don't think I saw a single one of the 25+ health enemies).

Unfortunately, there's a new unit. It doesn't follow you, but it flies all over the map dropping creeper. By the 15 minute mark, there was over 1 million creeper on the map. 5 minutes later, it had completely flooded the entire map making it unplayable.

You're actually supposed to keep the amount of wanderers under control or it will get out of hand fast. Autodefense is pretty good for taking care of the wanderers that passes by you.

Karsten75

OK, some of the  preceding  posts on this topic is against our policy. Continued violation of policy will result in a temporary or permanent ban.

To refresh your mind on map comment policy:  https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=15512.0

Malignantmind

Quote from: Kaiden on May 25, 2021, 09:07:24 PM

Unfortunately, there's a new unit. It doesn't follow you, but it flies all over the map dropping creeper. By the 15 minute mark, there was over 1 million creeper on the map. 5 minutes later, it had completely flooded the entire map making it unplayable.

You're actually supposed to keep the amount of wanderers under control or it will get out of hand fast. Autodefense is pretty good for taking care of the wanderers that passes by you.

Autodefense doesn't help at all when they're all on the other side of the map. The majority of them were well out of sniper range the entire time.

Kaiden

Quote from: Malignantmind on May 25, 2021, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: Kaiden on May 25, 2021, 09:07:24 PM

Autodefense doesn't help at all when they're all on the other side of the map. The majority of them were well out of sniper range the entire time.

They do go to random locations, so they will eventually come to you. Don't forget the sniper has 80 range, and you can destroy the spawners to reduce the amount of wanderers spawned overall

ikkonoishi

Again the solution to this map is to just make every bit of ground AC breeder Maybe with the low cap you could just bee line into the end area and take it out first..

Kaiden

Okay so since some players are struggling a bit with the wanderers, here are tips to help deal with the wanderers:

Get autodefense as early as you can, this frees up a lot of time from dealing with the other enemies and will help kill wanderers that gets close enough.

Check the minimap occasionally to keep track of their positions, and when they're close enough to your position, find them and kill them as fast as possible.

Wanderers go to random locations on the minimap, so if it feels like they are staying on one side of the map, a couple might have slipped past you without noticing. And even then, eventually the wanderers will go to the other side of the map.

Get to the fortresses as fast as you can, then destroy the wanderer spawners, destroying the spawners will mean there will be less wanderers spawned overall.

Kaiden

Quote from: ikkonoishi on May 25, 2021, 09:15:45 PM
Again the solution to this map is to just make every bit of ground AC breeder Maybe with the low cap you could just bee line into the end area and take it out first..

You do need to get all 4 info caches from the smaller fortresses first, so this means you can't just beeline straight to the end area and destroy the sleeper lab early

alche

the first time the creeper flooded me, but second time made it in an hour, you need to hurry the first minute and get as many cubes as posible, sniper and mortar, then ac breeder and focus on capturing breeding grounds, the forts open when u get the cube in front and the creepers on top wont really bother you at first..

fun map

Durikkan

So I'll start with the good.   The sniper upgrades really help keep the wanderers in check and make that part flow pretty well, and it's nice to be able to weaken them.

With that said, this map is a bit frustrating.   First, the yellow wanders really need a cap.   In the early part of the game they mostly stay on the far side of the map and inflate the creeper well past the limit, I think it took me 12 minutes to finally get the creeper cap under 5, and it was as high as 8. 

Second, after you get them under control the map just becomes a bit of a slog, there's just too much creeper production, from all of the breeder to the forbs and emitters.  From minute 12, to minute 42, the creeper cap never fell under 4.5  I had 18 levels of weapon effect by the end, and had reduced the enemy to just the one last corner base, and it would still max out the creeper cap every time the breeders ticked, so I eventually just gave up and quit.  I'd just spent 15 minutes (From ~27 to 42) slowly picking off all the buildings on the outside, as the second to last fort had fallen at 27 minutes).  It just felt like I'd have to wait for more upgrades to finish because of the excess creeper generation, which may be true because everyone seemed to have slower times than that.   
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

GadgetBoy

Utterly impossible. WAY too much creeper gen. Even if I charge through recklessly, I cannot shut off enough creeper in order to not become overwhelmed.

P.s. Why is the ENTIRE terrain generating creeper?

GadgetBoy

Quote from: Kaiden on May 25, 2021, 09:19:35 PM
Quote from: ikkonoishi on May 25, 2021, 09:15:45 PM

You do need to get all 4 info caches from the smaller fortresses first, so this means you can't just beeline straight to the end area and destroy the sleeper lab early

You're falling into a trap that heritor fell into - assuming that everyone can play the map as well as you can. You have encylopaedic knowledge of how the level is built, and exactly how to go about it.

We do not.

It is heavily unbalanced, and folks are trying to guide you in a way to make the map more fair.

You need to cap the amount of creeper that can be on the map, cap the amount of enemies, and/or reduce the amount of creeper being generated by enemies.