Main Menu

Boring

Started by Kgobo, May 30, 2010, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kgobo

The game neads some randomness to it beacause once you start winning you always win nomatter what

Blaze

You could have given a high point.

UpperKEES

Randomness and strategy usually don't go well together. I hate games with a high random factor (with Ludo at #1) and I think that's the reason most CW players don't like spores.

Of course there's always a turning point, but good maps makers will be able to postpone that moment as long as possible, sometimes until 1 minute before finishing the map. Randomness is not needed for that. You can for instance stack delayed emitters (so the amount of creeper increases over time), use walls to release more creeper, make the race for every tech a mini game, or limit the amount of units available by withholding the tech and only supply a few (initially locked) weapons (so losing them might cause failure), etcetera.

Just find a creator of maps that suits your needs. I can recommend you one.... ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

F0R

simply adding more spores every time or making emtters start at different times can make the difficlty increase

UpperKEES

Yeah, of course increasing the spores count, their intensity, or decreasing the delay between the waves also works, but you'll notice that this won't really improve the gameplay as you'll just be building more and more SAMs, while the interesting part of CW is how to handle the terrain (in my opinion).

Making emitters start at different times is what I meant by stacking them with a delay. When you don't stack them certain area's of the map will be accessible during the initial phase of the game and that's maybe not what you want, especially when people find a way to reach these area's sooner than the map maker intended, thus finishing the map even faster instead of slower. Result: a pwned map.

ontheworld

Valley Guard of apocalipstic is a good example of the sporeproblem

Fisherck

I like the game the way it is. There are plenty of maps that have given me a run for my money and I do not expect that to stop. That is why each map is rated by the mapmaker (not perfect, but it gives you a good idea). There is one map that might beat me. It is very long and boring ;), but I have not given up yet...

EDIT: And more importantly (I just realized) what if a map maker makes a very difficult map plays and beats it, then submits it. Other people play it and are not able to beat that map because they do not get the same conditions the map maker scored with. This would pretty much ruin how to submit maps, because how could you? Just because it was beat once, does not mean it can be beat again, unless someone got the same random conditions.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on July 21, 2010, 09:03:33 AM
Just because it was beat once, does not mean it can be beat again, unless someone got the same random conditions.

Very true. I just completed 'Dream' by Miss Melissa and the (random) direction of the mine explosions already makes quite a difference.

Mare

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, If you add Randomness to Creeper World, you will be getting rid of its uniqueness and style of play which defeats the purpose of buying and playing the game. Are you still playing the missions in the game itself, because I can understand how you always win no matter what, try some of the custom maps, they give you a good run for your money.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

Paul-in-Reno

My main beef with many of the hard and expert maps is the primary challenge of defeating a super emitter(s). There is nothing more boring and uncreative. The "expert" should emphasize strategy, not a brute force tactic. Also, maps that are designed such that exact placement of items at exact times are the only way to win...boring. I personally like maps that offer more than one way to skin a cat, and preferably take about 15 minutes. Those maps that take over 30 mins...boring.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Paul-in-Reno on July 22, 2010, 11:01:37 AM
My main beef with many of the hard and expert maps is the primary challenge of defeating a super emitter(s). There is nothing more boring and uncreative. The "expert" should emphasize strategy, not a brute force tactic. Also, maps that are designed such that exact placement of items at exact times are the only way to win...boring.

I couldn't agree more. Edit: An exception to the exact placement of items could be a puzzle map, but you have to like that genre. I like to play one of them every now and then, so I have to think a little more instead of plain shooting.

Quote from: Paul-in-Reno on July 22, 2010, 11:01:37 AM
I personally like maps that offer more than one way to skin a cat, and preferably take about 15 minutes. Those maps that take over 30 mins...boring.

Although I don't mind a map that takes me longer than 30 minutes (assuming the fight is still interesting), most maps (> 90%) can be finished in less than 20 minutes, but of course this also depends on your experience & skill. Having read your post I am surprised you never tried one of my maps. Except for 1 or 2 of them they never feature high intensity emitters, don't require bridging and most of them can be finished in less than 20 minutes.

Paul-in-Reno

I did actually try one of your maps...the birds one. I think your maps are among the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye, however they're also among the most busy. If you'll notice my more recent maps are kinda dull looking, but they're straight forward and offer variety in completing them. I'm trying to relax here while beating up some creeper. Also, the average time of your typical map violates my 15 min rule, regardless if it CAN be done in 15 mins.

UpperKEES

Ah, you picked one of the hardest (Expert Only). Maybe better to start with a medium or hard map (many of them aren't too busy, because playability is more important to me than the looks, although I'm not that fond of maps with just a few steps or squares).

And indeed, when you look at the average it will be higher, but don't forget that many less experienced players still like to go for the challenge, but just take a lot longer to complete it, hence the high averages. You have gained quite some experience by now (I see you around for quite a while), so you will probably end up in the top 10 for every map anyway.

Paul-in-Reno

Ok. I just gave up on your Holland map. I connected to all the totems around the 9 min mark and then ran out of juice before even starting for the rune. I'm finicky in that I prefer all the techs be available (obviously reactors would have made the map a medium). I'll try another map tomorrow.

UpperKEES

NJ-1 indeed restricts the amount of energy to be collected (about 12 per second); that's why you need to fill up some storage before you go for your final assault. In my overview topic (click signature) you'll be able to see which techs are available for each map. Looking at your preferences I'd try NJ-19 and/or NJ-24.