Custom Map: mthw1vc: Evacuation

Started by AutoPost, May 08, 2010, 07:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: mthw1vc: Evacuation

Author: mthw2vc

Desc:
This is the start of a new, better series that effectively replaces the first one that I never submitted. In this new series, you take on the role of the commander of Ridgelift station when...
This level: It came out a lot less interesting than I expected. It is doable on DD mode, though...

UpperKEES

You could have made it harder yourself by cutting the interval times of the emitters in half (this is exactly what happens during DD mode).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mthw2vc

Yes, but I wanted to make it easier to win if you didn't save the blaster. Besides, it's the first level, did you expect it to be hard? I marked it easy for a reason. In the original version, the spore wave came at 4 minutes. It was still doable, but restricted you to only one viable method. I didn't like that, so I made it easier.

UpperKEES

No, nothing wrong with the difficulty. I just make my remark because you said it turned out less interesting than you expected....

mthw2vc

It became even less interesting when I turned it up. I would've given more reasons for it, but I ran out of characters.

mpl

Very interesting map, but I would rate it hard. Maybe I just didn't get some obvious easy way to do this, but it took my several attempts before I managed to finish.

mthw2vc

Thank you. It just seemed obvious to me, but it appears that other people have trouble with it, although I would've rated it puzzle if that was a choice. I'm glad to see that someone else solved it, though. I might have to put together a walkthrough for it.

Katra

I would also say hard or expert. It takes some mighty fancy flying to win; and I had no time to spare.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

F0R

UpperKEES

Now that was a fun puzzle! Indeed more 'Hard' than 'Easy', but I liked it a lot. :)

I wouldn't say at all that it isn't interesting. Don't forget that you -as the creator of the map- know all ins and outs, but the puzzle element makes it more than interesting enough for the average (and advanced) player.

I would make your maps more like this if I were you (but you're not me :P). I tried part 3 about 6 more times, but I have to admit that I lost my interest due to the limited posibilities. Saving the pods wasn't the problem, but I feel forced to play in just one way (which is often the case with puzzle maps) and when I do one thing differently than intended it often means I have to start all over again, so I figured I'd wait for the 'Easy Mode' as I've read here.

This was a really nice map though!

mthw2vc

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 14, 2010, 02:04:34 PM
Now that was a fun puzzle! Indeed more 'Hard' than 'Easy', but I liked it a lot. :)
Why do people keep saying this? I don't understand what makes this level difficult. Please explain.
I wouldn't say at all that it isn't interesting. Don't forget that you -as the creator of the map- know all ins and outs, but the puzzle element makes it more than interesting enough for the average (and advanced) player.
At the time I wrote that, it seemed too simple to be fun to me, but now, looking to some of the other levels out there, I have begun to apreciate this style of level a bit more. I now agree that this is easily my best map so far.
*snip*
but I feel forced to play in just one way (which is often the case with puzzle maps) and when I do one thing differently than intended it often means I have to start all over again
*snip*
You can still usually beat it if you make a mistake, it just takes a takes a lot longer. I suppose that might be a bit different if you're chasing the high-score,

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 14, 2010, 02:48:47 PM
Why do people keep saying this? I don't understand what makes this level difficult. Please explain.

To me it was 'Medium', but I guess it's 'Hard' for the average player who gives up after 3 tries. I think this is because a lot of people just like to start playing without giving the map some thought. Maps with a hard start (i.e. little space to start with) are not the most popular ones is my own experience.

I would consider this map hard for the following reasons:
- You don't see the relay under the tech & artifact, so people might wonder how to get it (the same happened to most players who tried The Athlete), while I assumed that people would just check it in the map editor when they couldn't figure it out.
- You can't build weapons; if you lose one you're pretty much doomed (although I just read it should be possible without the blaster, but I couldn't have done it without).
- You have to micro-manage the mortar (disconnect from network or en-/disable) if you want to build your relays fast.
- You have to charge the 2nd totem while flying OC (at least that's what I did).

Add this all up and you don't have the characteristics of an easy map. Having said that I have to admit that almost all people found my 3 medium maps hard.... ;)

At the time I wrote that, it seemed too simple to be fun to me, but now, looking to some of the other levels out there, I have begun to apreciate this style of level a bit more. I now agree that this is easily my best map so far.

To me it definitely is, but that's also because I don't like massive spore waves or very high intensity emitters that much, so that's rather personal. I appreciate it more when a map maker can create an interesting, challenging and hard map by using more 'normal' parameters. Often this is achieved by the terrain, the puzzle element and/or the location of the techs.

You can still usually beat it if you make a mistake, it just takes a takes a lot longer. I suppose that might be a bit different if you're chasing the high-score,

That must be it. When I fail (lose more than 10 seconds or a blaster), I restart, even when that's after 10 minutes. Yeah, I can really frustrate myself! :P

mthw2vc

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 14, 2010, 03:40:32 PM
*snip*
I would consider this map hard for the following reasons:
- You don't see the relay under the tech & artifact, so people might wonder how to get it (the same happened to most players who tried The Athlete), while I assumed that people would just check it in the map editor when they couldn't figure it out.
- You can't build weapons; if you lose one you're pretty much doomed (although I just read it should be possible without the blaster, but I couldn't have done it without).
- You have to micro-manage the mortar (disconnect from network or en-/disable) if you want to build your relays fast.
- You have to charge the 2nd totem while flying OC (at least that's what I did).
Those might be pretty good reasons, but when you consider that there is a submitted score, you can infer that there is a collector or relay there. You actually can see the connecting relay over the tech, but you might not notice it due to the fact that the tech has the same picture in the same place. I've PMed you on how to beat it if you lose the blaster, and the same principle works if you lose the mortar, although it is a lot tougher to do it that way.
Quote from: UpperKEES on June 14, 2010, 03:40:32 PM
*snip*
That must be it. When I fail (lose more than 10 seconds or a blaster), I restart, even when that's after 10 minutes. Yeah, I can really frustrate myself! :P
Actually, I encountered that very problem in an older testing version with fewer blasters. However, given that the emitter in that one gets its intensity reduced by ~20% every 5 minutes, by the end, you can push all the way to the crazonium enclosure with just 4 blasters, even if you lost the reactors in the upper-left corner in the first 10 minutes.T he only reason it's such a big deal is that you're intent to beat my time by 20 minutes.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 14, 2010, 09:42:33 PM
Those might be pretty good reasons, but when you consider that there is a submitted score, you can infer that there is a collector or relay there. You actually can see the connecting relay over the tech, but you might not notice it due to the fact that the tech has the same picture in the same place. I've PMed you on how to beat it if you lose the blaster, and the same principle works if you lose the mortar, although it is a lot tougher to do it that way.

Yeah, you can figure that out, I can do that, and probably quite some others, but apparently not the majority of the players. Do you realize how many maps are being submitted every week that can be finished by just flying OC over the only totem because the map maker didn't know this was possible? Do you realize how many players don't know anything about bridging or the purpose of deactivating a mortar? These are not things you learn in the normal game and people think they know everything once they finished the full game (not even on DD-mode). At that moment it actually just starts.... ;)

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 14, 2010, 09:42:33 PM
Actually, I encountered that very problem in an older testing version with fewer blasters. However, given that the emitter in that one gets its intensity reduced by ~20% every 5 minutes, by the end, you can push all the way to the crazonium enclosure with just 4 blasters, even if you lost the reactors in the upper-left corner in the first 10 minutes.T he only reason it's such a big deal is that you're intent to beat my time by 20 minutes.

Yep, I don't play for spot #5, although I might end up at #5 and be happy with it, because I just couldn't do better. I'm happy when I've given everything, but when I make a mistake, I restart and go for #1 again. 95% of the times I succeed; it only takes me a bit longer. ;) The competitive element gives me the drive and energy to keep going on. I might have some German blood....  ;D

mthw2vc

The easy mode is released for those of you that can't figure this one out...
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2326