Started by AutoPost, May 04, 2010, 11:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: SPIFFENs Tempel 6

Author: SPIFFEN

Desc:
[Map may be CPU intensive -Ed.]

You start with alot of energy here ,
but you still need to think of what your doing .
And this map might be alot of work to finnish ,
so can you find the best way to do it .
This map might be for hard/expert players .
But it's up to you to choose that .
And this map is CPU intensive =(

SPIFFEN

It would be nice to know how many times you had to restart this map before you made it .
The map is'nt as easy as it looks =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Quote from: SPIFFEN on May 04, 2010, 11:21:18 AM
It would be nice to know how many times you had to restart this map before you made it .
The map is'nt as easy as it looks =P

It's not that hard, I just got bored halfway through and quit. The method is this. Build some mortars to keep the creeper at bay. (I used 6 for this.) Then build a few blasters, a few spare mortars and a bunch of drones. Aalso, bulk up on more energy (all SPIFFEN maps are energy intensive).

then send the drones to bomb around the outer perimeter. When the creeper elvel subsides (I focused on the lower side first, fly out two blasters and build a relay between them. Then fly out more mortars that can reach over the outer perimeter and keep the creeper level low.

Now use the drones to expand the zone of control, always bulking in with more mortars and interlacing with reactors for energy.

Takes a bunch of time and firepower, but it can be done. I quit after connecting 4 totems.

IkeaPimp

Completed it on my 3rd run, but that's normal.

1st run I just let it go without doing anything just to see how the creeper behaves.
2nd run I try out various options to see what's effective.

UpperKEES

Quote from: IkeaPimp on May 04, 2010, 03:09:48 PM
Completed it on my 3rd run, but that's normal.

1st run I just let it go without doing anything just to see how the creeper behaves.
2nd run I try out various options to see what's effective.

Yep, I do that as well. The second run actually exists out of several 'mini-runs'.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

@ IkeaPimp ( the SPIFFENs maps king =P )
Can you post an pic of how you did manage this score ?
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

IkeaPimp

Quote from: SPIFFEN on May 05, 2010, 07:34:20 AM
@ IkeaPimp ( the SPIFFENs maps king =P )
Can you post an pic of how you did manage this score ?

Pic attached.

2 connectors, 6 relays, 8 mortars and 20 drones.  Don't use the blasters or collect any of the powerups. Build everything except the last 4 relays before attacking.  Deactivate the mortars to save energy.

2 waves of 10 drones on the outer ring, mortars clearing the inner ring.  Build the last 4 relays to connect up the towers when it's clear.  That's it.

SPIFFEN

Oh no upgrade pickups , you might even get an better score if you do i think .
How to make links

UpperKEES

Great symmetry, IkeaPimp! (I just love that.)

Not sure if the upgrades would improve the score, as you'll need 120 units of energy to build the relays (or a little less of you pick them in an efficient order).

IkeaPimp

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 05, 2010, 11:29:18 AM
Great symmetry, IkeaPimp! (I just love that.)

I'm big on symmetry.  It's the thing I like best about Spiffen's maps.

Quote from: SPIFFEN on May 05, 2010, 11:27:50 AM
Oh no upgrade pickups , you might even get an better score if you do i think .

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 05, 2010, 11:29:18 AM
Not sure if the upgrades would improve the score, as you'll need 120 units of energy to build the relays (or a little less of you pick them in an efficient order).

I would agree with UpperKEES.  I think the cost of getting the powerups is more than the benefit.  If I could reach them with relays in the 1st 15 seconds of the game it would be worth it, but the cost of fighting back the creeper to get them is rather high on this map.

On the other hand, if someone could figure out how to get them efficiently they would easily be able to beat my time.

ADDENDUM: I just tried it and with the correct placement of the blasters you CAN get one of the powerups.  I'll let my score stand so someone else can beat it.  Which powerup do you think would be best?

UpperKEES

Depends what you've already built by that time (-10% building), if you're short on energy (+10%) or not (build 20% faster) and if your mortars reach the deepest creeper (+range)....

IkeaPimp

I just noticed that by 'hovering' the blasters carefully, you can actually get 2 powerups before the creeper overflows into the inner ring.  I replayed the map and managed to cut 50+ seconds of my time (> 3:05).  Used +10% energy and -10% build cost.  May have been able to cut a few more seconds off the time, but I flubbed up the order I built stuff.

Decided not to record the game so someone else could get high score for a change.  If nobody betters my score in a few days, I'll play it again and record it.

IkeaPimp

DethbyIT

Quote from: IkeaPimp on May 07, 2010, 11:32:16 AM
New score submitted.

Right - thanks a lot!
On some of these maps (such as this one), the times are jaw-droppingly short.
Great work!

@SPIFFEN - another fun map to play on. Thanks for the work.
dbit