Custom Map #1552: Battle Station Impact. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, January 01, 2015, 05:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1552: Battle Station Impact

Author: Hubs
Size: 99x99

Desc:
An asteroid with emitters on it has collided with a battle station. Take out their defenses and destroy everything in your path. This map uses the new PAC controls. Press H in game for more information. #PlayAsCreeper

stdout

Abraxis is asleep at the wheel, ignoring my completely vulnerable emitter which is currently drowning under an ocean of AC. What am I supposed to do here?  (Still looking for a solution that must be present!)

Mottek

My solution was to set the eastern emitter to Burst and support him with the western one as soon as the game unpauses. Then just wait, the bursts destroy the relay which supports the two cannons. The emitter works fast enough to starve the cannons.
Then you can expand west and "infect" the totem and take the last two powerzones in this section.

By the way, great map. I love being Creeper ;)

stdout

Quote from: Mottek on January 01, 2015, 06:37:36 PM
My solution was to set the eastern emitter to Burst and support him with the western one as soon as the game unpauses. Then just wait, the bursts destroy the relay which supports the two cannons. The emitter works fast enough to starve the cannons.
Then you can expand west and "infect" the totem and take the last two powerzones in this section.

That exact technique is not working for me. I have tried everything for about 2 hours and have gotten nowhere. I'm wondering if there's a slight difference between our versions or operating systems or something that is making this impossible.

Stave

Quote from: stdout on January 01, 2015, 07:00:31 PM
That exact technique is not working for me. I have tried everything for about 2 hours and have gotten nowhere. I'm wondering if there's a slight difference between our versions or operating systems or something that is making this impossible.

I couldn't get started until I was super aggressive with the digitalis, then it worked right away.

Fun map! I liked getting "stuck" about halfway through until I got creative.

Spoiler
It always takes me some time to remember that deleting thick digitalis in the void is a great strategy.
[close]

Hubs

Quote from: stdout on January 01, 2015, 07:00:31 PM
Quote from: Mottek on January 01, 2015, 06:37:36 PM

Spoiler

The key to starting this map is to support the right emitter and use burst mode to take the first section. Make sure you are also building digitalis too. I made the digitalis builder the largest size and just held down the mouse over the emitter to make it build dig as fast as possible. After about 45 seconds you should be able to expand to the next two PZs.

Also, make sure you do the supporting and change to burst mode while the game is still paused and get your dig builder to the largest radius. Doing this shaves off a few seconds worth of AC bombing. That might make the difference.
[close]

yui56

One of my favorites yet.  Could probably have pushed into the center sooner, but there was something satisfying about slowly claiming every outer island and then attacking from all sides at once.

Xeos

Hubs you are such a great map maker - the depth of difficulty is superb on this map - Well thought out and an intelligent challenge to play. Thanks for creating it and I look forward to playing your next masterpiece whatever that may be :)

PS : I would like to create maps like this - is there a tutorial on youtube or anything like that to help a noob like me?
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Hubs

Quote from: Xeos on January 02, 2015, 07:28:56 AM
Hubs you are such a great map maker - the depth of difficulty is superb on this map - Well thought out and an intelligent challenge to play. Thanks for creating it and I look forward to playing your next masterpiece whatever that may be :)

PS : I would like to create maps like this - is there a tutorial on youtube or anything like that to help a noob like me?

Thanks Xeos, glad you enjoyed the map :)

There is a complete set of instructions and template starting map here. Let me know if you have any questions using it.

Xeos

That's great - I will get stuck into that over the next few weeks and see what I can come up with - I have lots of ideas, whether I can achieve them is another thing !
Many thanks again
Cheers
Ian
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Hubs

Quote from: Xeos on January 02, 2015, 08:38:33 AM
That's great - I will get stuck into that over the next few weeks and see what I can come up with - I have lots of ideas, whether I can achieve them is another thing !
Many thanks again
Cheers
Ian

Awesome! If you want feedback on your maps, post them in the custom map discussion. There are a lot of map authors that can test your map and provide great feedback.

stdout

The map is beautiful, and the "asteroid carrying emitters" impact is a great story. Aesthetically, it's one of my favorite maps yet. The opening was way too frustrating, needlessly so, I think, but other than that it was a great map.

Linden

Great map, Hubs, thanks! Just when I think you lot must be out of ideas, here comes another beauty. :D

D0m0nik

I find Hubs maps ridiculously difficult and I love them for it! I think I am yet to learn a strategy (I get the shooting into void bit and attacking the shields to weaken the enemy - still must be missing something) as this took me an hour, how are people getting close to 10 minsr???

Another great map, thank you

Linden

Sorry, I have exactly zero idea how people can complete this map in 10 minutes, but it's loads of fun trying to match it. :D I'm a million miles away from achieving that ambition, but hey ho, it's great, isn't it? :D