You can all just wait - REPLY

Started by UpperKEES, May 05, 2010, 06:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

This is a reply to the 'You can all just wait' topic, which has already been locked.

I agree with Karsten that more people should submit scores for maps, especially when these maps are hard to beat or require special tricks to solve it.

Please imagine having 10-20 maps in the queue and half of them requiring extensive testing by playing them till the end, instead of just studying them in the Map Editor. This would cost us about 5-6 hours per day. I suppose I could finally finish all maps if they are beatable, but neither Karsten nor I have the time to do so, while it is a small effort to do this yourself as a map maker. Now more maps are being created that intentionally require the use of the 'move unmoveable Odin City bug' or the 'out of bounds items bug', it becomes a very hard job to check for any errors.

Please note that maps are being reviewed to make sure that a constant high quality is being offered to the community. Map makers have their own responsibility to contribute to this (read the rules above the map upload form).

Also please remember that maps with presubmitted scores will always get priority during the approval process.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

I think i have asked for this before , but might have been in the chat or something .
But if i uploade an map without any score , but play the map later and the post an score ,
will you then see that the map has an score ?
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Yes, if the map is still in the queue, the score will show up. But sometimes a map is being reviewed while you are playing it to submit your score, so submitting a score even before uploading it is better.

To be able to post a score make sure you always play your own map from the 'CUSTOM MAPS' screen in CW, instead of using the 'Launch Your Custom Game' button. It's dead easy.

SPIFFEN

OK thx nice to know =)
Because i dont always have time to finnish making an test score ,
but see that its possibel , and uploade the map ,
and make an score later if it hasnt been accepted yet .

But i think all maps should have an score before uploaded ,
it will make your work way much easyier .

I think some mapmakers dont want to post an score ,
so players have to work abit before they manage the map .
And then the map might get more comments .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: SPIFFEN on May 05, 2010, 07:21:24 AM
But i think all maps should have an score before uploaded ,
it will make your work way much easyier .

That's for sure! :)

Quote from: SPIFFEN on May 05, 2010, 07:21:24 AM
I think some mapmakers dont want to post an score ,
so players have to work abit before they manage the map .

I rather don't play a map without any score for 2 reasons:
- I'm not sure if it is possible to complete it.
- I like to see a time to aim for; this will give me an indication what will be needed to finish it effectively.

So I guess maps with scores will be played more often.

Edit: Hey, I notice some scores appearing, so I guess this works. *thumbs up* Rewarded immediately, as you can see. :)

F0R

if you know the map is eatable is it ok to send it in

UpperKEES

Quote from: F0R on May 15, 2010, 03:49:46 AM
if you know the map is eatable is it ok to send it in

Sure, I'm actually pretty hungry and didn't have breakfast yet. ;)

If you mean beatable, then I ask you: how do you know for sure? You wouldn't believe the amount of maps that became unbeatable after a quick last minute change. Why wouldn't you submit that score and really proof that it can be beaten? It does not only save us a lot of work, but it also prevents you from uploading a fixed version when the map didn't turn out as expected. "Oh, but that doesn't happen to me!", is what you might think. Well, look at all the others who thought the same thing and just search the custom maps for the words 'updated' or 'fixed'. Many people will just ignore the second version because they feel they've already played that map before.

F0R

i under stand that but lets say your not pro enough for a lvl can we ask you to test it

Karsten75

Quote from: F0R on May 15, 2010, 06:43:44 AM
i under stand that but lets say your not pro enough for a lvl can we ask you to test it

You can ask, but it will be in line with all the other maps without scores.  You can also ask any of your buddies to test it. Or you can ask a player with top scores.

But this is the important thing - if *you* can not beat it, why do you think others can?  It is really easy to make a map that cannot be beat, and in fact even a small change can render a map impossible or trivial.

F0R

I have to ask what does Trivial Mean?