Main Menu

Helpful tips

Started by Mare, June 30, 2010, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mare

This topic is about any techniques or ways to beat a map in creeper world. Any tip will be useful, Especially for beginners. I will start by asking this:

I have seen this all over the internet, on youtube, on some custom maps, ALL OVER THE FORUMS.
I just have to wonder...WHAT THE **** IS THIS BRIDGE TACTIC THAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT!??!?!

PS: I'm not angry just putting a little emphasis on my question.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

UpperKEES

My first advise is: use the advanced search to be able to search all forum boards for specific questions.
My second advise is: read everything in the Gameplay Discussion board. My impression is that you already started with that one.  ;)

PS: if you have seen bridging you must know what it is. You connect two items (like a collector, relay or totem) by using (flying) military units and/or Odin City. Crazonium bridging is derived from this; when you fly exactly above a (single layered) crazonium wall you're able to maintain a connection to the other side. Bridging is rather tedious, but very effective in certain cases. Extensive use of the pause button is recommended.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Mare

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 30, 2010, 02:11:17 PM
My first advise is: use the advanced search to be able to search all forum boards for specific questions.
My second advise is: read everything in the Gameplay Discussion board. My impression is that you already started with that one.  ;)

PS: if you have seen bridging you must know what it is. You connect two items (like a collector, relay or totem) by using (flying) military units and/or Odin City. Crazonium bridging is derived from this; when you fly exactly above a (single layered) crazonium wall you're able to maintain a connection to the other side. Bridging is rather tedious, but very effective in certain cases. Extensive use of the pause button is recommended.
oh wow i am stupid, i never used that technique and just built some collectors to link instead of military units thank you for answering.

BTW has anyone ever used the mortar "drop" technique where you just build a mortar and use it to bomb a distant creeper pool but micro manage it so that it takes less damage?
i wanted to know if it was effective...
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mare on June 30, 2010, 02:25:04 PM
oh wow i am stupid, i never used that technique and just built some collectors to link instead of military units thank you for answering.

Ehm, you would especially use it in cases where you can't build that collector because of terrain limitations. This means you're often doing something that the map maker didn't intend (unless it's a bridging map). I suggest you search the custom maps and look for lessons 1-3 by hi and the bridging tutorial by Sqaz.

has anyone ever used the mortar "drop" technique where you just build a mortar and use it to bomb a distant creeper pool but micro manage it so that it takes less damage?

I think I just gave you the answer here. ;) Virgil himself recommends it for Tucana.

Mare

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 30, 2010, 02:34:39 PM

Ehm, you would especially use it in cases where you can't build that collector because of terrain limitations. This means you're often doing something that the map maker didn't intend (unless it's a bridging map). I suggest you search the custom maps and look for lessons 1-3 by hi and the bridging tutorial by Sqaz.

has anyone ever used the mortar "drop" technique where you just build a mortar and use it to bomb a distant creeper pool but micro manage it so that it takes less damage?

I think I just gave you the answer here. ;) Virgil himself recommends it for Tucana.
...DAMN, YOUR NICE!!! Thank you!

F0R

Just to let you know it is an extremely boring tactic to do and i hope it gets removed over. craz walls obv.

ontheworld

i know a tip: pause a whole lot and always take a look at the map. he said anything is usefull

Echo51

Glue your eyes shut with some really good 2-component glue of the strong stuff, then you get uber godmode powarhs...

nah, but look at the map, maybe let it run 5 minutes before you restart and play, so you can see where to worry about the creeper
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

Yep, and if you don't mind losing a bit of the surprise/exploring element, you can also have a look in the map editor.

Echo51

Upper, i dont think you can on the official maps :D
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

Heheh, true! And even if it was possible it wouldn't have meant anything to me when I was a beginner, because I had no clue at that time what an intensity of 3 did for me.

However Mare indicated (somewhere, can't remember) being an expert player, so I assumed he/she would have finished the in-game maps by now.

SPIFFEN

I think the best tip is to build an Storage , then you can deploy more pacets if you have the energy to do so .
And try not to build more than 1 thing at the time , unless you have the energy to do so .
( I usally dont care about my deficit , unless im going for an highscore )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Mare

Be wary of your Mortar's range when you place it at a location.
For example, do not place 3 mortars with only 1 square of their range touching the pool if one mortar with over half of its range can keep the Creeper at bay.