Game Mechanics Quiz 1 - How much do you really know?

Started by UpperKEES, October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

I thought it would be fun to create a little quiz about the CW game mechanics. (I've considered posting it in the random discussion board, but because you'll probably learn a lot by reading and participating I figured this would be the best place.) See here for the second edition.

Rules:
- I'll post a total of 10 questions.
- I'll post the next question one day after the correct answer has been given (time permitting), or one week after the previous question.
- The first person to give the correct answer gets 1 point.
- I will use the forum time stamp of the post to determine who was first. When you've edited your post the edit time stamp counts, so be careful with this. Better create a new post if you like to add something when other people have posted their answer after you did.
- The one with most points in the end wins (should be before the end of the year).
- When there's a tie I will keep asking questions until we have a winner with a 2 point lead. Anyone can participate with these additional questions and try to catch up.
- As long as no correct answer has been given you can try, even when the next question already has been posted, but you can attempt only once; wrong is wrong.
- I won't be responding to second 'guesses' in any way; I will only respond to serious first time answers.
- Of course you're allowed to create your own testmap in the map editor to figure it out empirically.

RankName
2.Sqaz
3.Nate Dog
4.Blaze

Question 1:
Please have a look at the image below.

You see a little trench with a length of 10 blocks. Its bottom is at elevation level 1 and its borders are at elevation level 5. At the first and the last position are 2 equal emitters. Each emitter has an intensity of 4, an interval of 1 second and an initial delay of 1 second. How many seconds will it take before the trench is completely filled after starting the map?

Answer 1: given by mthw2vc, see here.

Question 2:
During exactly 1 minute of gameplay the following things happen:
A. 1 blaster is capping an emitter with 1.2 intensity and 0.5 second interval
B. 1 blaster is capping an emitter with 1.5 intensity and 0.4 second interval
C. 3 SAMs intercept 5 incoming spores of 1.8 intensity
D. 1 blaster intercepts 2 incoming spores of 1.8 intensity
E. 1 blaster fires continuously from a tiny island surrounded by a very deep pool of creeper
F. 1 mortar fires continuously into another deep pool of creeper
G. 2 drones recharge completely

All weapons used for events A to G are different weapons and don't interfere with each other in any way. They won't starve and no upgrades have been applied. What is the minimum amount of energy you need to generate per second to finish this minute with exactly the same amount of energy in store as you started? The answer has to be exactly correct (one decimal).

Answer 2: given by Sqaz, see here.

Question 3:
Please have a look at the image below:

How much energy collection would be displayed on your screen when 3 decimals would be used behind the decimal point?

Answer 3: given by mthw2vc, see here.

Question 4:
How many squares does a packet travel per second horizontally or vertically when 4 speed nodes are connected to your network? You can round your answer to the nearest integer (as I don't have the exact data either).

Answer 4: given by mthw2vc, see here.

Question 5:
In this topic we've seen that a mortar does a maximum damage of 42.4 ccc (cubic creeper cells) per unit of energy, while a drone does a maximum damage of 125 ccc per unit of energy. What is the maximum damage per unit of energy for a blaster?

Answer 5: given by Sqaz, see here.

Question 6:
A completely flat map contains 10 emitters. Each of these emitters emits 10 cubic creeper cells (ccc) per second on average. Please see the table below for their specifications:

Emitter
Start
(seconds)
Interval
(seconds)
Intensity
(ccc)
# blasters needed
without firing
rate upgrade
# blasters needed
with firing
rate upgrade

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?

Total:
A: ?
B: ?

A. What is the mininum amount of pre-built (and fully charged) blasters needed to cap all emitters without the +15% firing rate upgrade?
B. What is the mininum amount of pre-built (and fully charged) blasters needed to cap all emitters with the +15% firing rate upgrade?

Both answers (the green question marks in the table above) have to be correct. I won't indicate when only one of them is correct.

Additional info:
- All emitters are spaced in such a way that the blasters capping them don't influence each other or other emitters.
- All blasters are always placed exactly 3 blocks (30 pixels) from the emitter they cap (measured from the center of the blaster to the center of the emitter).
- When more than one blaster is needed to cap an emitter these blasters are stacked on top of each other.
- An emitter is considered being capped when the creeper isn't able to keep spreading. It is no problem when the creeper partially disappears due to evaporation.
- The +20% firing range upgrade is never used.
- You can assume that all blasters used will always have enough energy to fire.

Answer 6: given by Sqaz, see here.

Question 7:
You are playing a very hard map and many units are needed to finish it. Let's divide your CW screen into 6 sections:

ABC
DEF

The lines between A & D and B & E indicate a normal (green) uninterrupted wall, currently 2 blocks thick (a double row that is).

Section A: contains an immovable Odin City, 2 speed nodes, 1 blaster capping an emitter, 1 blaster holding off creeper and 2 mortars: one firing into a small pool as defence and one shooting over the wall to prevent it from eroding.
Section B: contains 2 relays crossing a mountain range, 4 blasters capping 2 emitters and again a mortar shooting over the wall.
Section C: contains 1 drone base, one mortar being built, 3 blasters capping 2 emitters and 2 blasters being built.
Section D: no units here, just lots of creeper and 4 totems. Only a tiny island can be seen, directly against the other side of the wall.
Section E: same as D, only about half the amount of creeper. 25% of all land here is creeper free.
Section F: 6 blasters are firing into the creeper, supported by a drone; they can barely hold off the creeper. 2 blasters are being built here as well.

Most of the available surface of sections A, B, C and F is covered with collectors, supplying about 6.3 energy. Your reactors (mostly in sectors A and B) supply another 16.5 energy, making a total collection of 23.7 on your display. All emitters on the map have an interval of 0.1 seconds, but vary in intensity. Your spore display indicates that spores will be arriving in one and a half minute. From experience you know there will be 2 of them coming from the south with an intensity of 1.5. All techs except for Thor are available and all six upgrades have already been collected and applied. There is at least one free space (3 by 3 blocks) in each section that can be reached to build.

What is the first unit you build and in which section? Please explain why, one line is enough. Of course you can build anything you like, but there is only one best choice. ;) Besides unit type and section your explanation has to be correct as well to earn the point!

Answer 7: given by Nate Dog, see here.

Question 8:

A blaster and a mortar fire from an island into two equal pools with creeper. The entire bottom of both pools is covered with emitters of 0.1 second interval, so all damage done is negated before the next shot occurs. After very accurate measuring it turns out that both weapons do precisely the same amount of damage per second. What is the exact depth of the creeper in both pools? (You are allowed to round to one decimal.) Tip: it doesn't matter if the fire rate upgrade has been applied, but it makes calculating a lot easier.... ;)

Answer 8: given by mthw2vc, see here.

Question 9:
How many frames does it take to decay for a wall element that is exposed to the creeper from only one side?

Answer 9: given by Nate Dog & Blaze, see here.

Question 10:

You see two totems ready to be charged. Using testmap 1 you will succeed; using testmap 2 you won't. Please explain the difference and why this occurs. Thanks to Kapoios who provided the testmaps! :)

Answer 10: given by Sqaz, see here.

Question 11:

Spores randomly target all finished relays and collectors on a map, but they don't aim very precisely as you may have noticed. How many squares are vulnerable to getting hit by a spore on this map?

Answer 11: given by mthw2vc, see here.

Question 12:

9 emitters with intensity 2 are emitting for exactly 1400 seconds and all of them start at the exact beginning of this time frame. Emitter 1 has an interval of 0.1 seconds, emitter 2 has an interval of 0.2, etcetera, and finally emitter 9 has an interval of 0.9 seconds. All emitters are placed on single squares at elevation level 5 and these squares are located in a huge pool that won't fill up, because its bottom at elevation level 1 contains 16 zero intensity emitters that suck the creeper away. Odin City just flies around trying to survive....

A. How much ccc of creeper is emitted exactly by these 9 emitters during this time frame in normal mode?
B. How much ccc of creeper is emitted exactly by these 9 emitters during this time frame in Double Down mode?

Please note that both answers have to be correct and they will be affected by this recently discovered bug!

Answer 12: given by mthw2vc, see here.

And mthw2vc wins the quiz! 8)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM
I thought it would be fun to create a little quiz about the CW game mechanics. (I've considered posting it in the random discussion board, but because you'll probably learn a lot by reading and participating I figured this would be the best place.)

I'll ask a new question every week, 10 in total. The first person to give the correct answer gets 1 point. The one with most points in the end wins (should be around the end of the year). As long as no correct answer has been given you can try, even when the next question already has been posted, but you can attempt only once; wrong is wrong. Of course you're allowed to create your own testmap to figure it out empirically.

Question 1:

Please have a look at the image below.

You see a little trench with a length of 10 blocks. Its bottom is at elevation level 1 and its borders are at elevation level 5. At the first and the last position are 2 equal emitters. Each emitter has an intensity of 4, an interval of 1 second and an initial delay of 1 second. How many seconds will it take before the trench is completely filled after starting the map?

So there are 10*4 blocks to fill as it may not overflow. That means that it's 1 second (initial delay) + 5 seconds (((10*4)/4)/2) so 6 seconds.

Edit: Sorry small mistake here, there are 90*4 blocks to fill, which means it'll take 1 sec + 45 seconds = 46 seconds.

UpperKEES

Nate Dog

59 seconds

UpperKEES

Echo51

The average time for U238 radiation halflife if inside the human stomach system?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

SPIFFEN

I made an test map for this , becuase i dont know the math for it =P
But i got score shown when it happend ,
so my guess is 60 sec or 60,1 sec if you need it more accurate =P
( the score shown is 9834 , if i manage to pause it in time =P )

Made this map for the test :
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

SPIFFEN

The question is when it gets filled ?
Not when its spills , right ?
Guess i have to wait some time before i get this =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: SPIFFEN on October 19, 2010, 08:31:36 AM
The question is when it gets filled ?

Yep, when will it be filled entirely?

Not when its spills , right ?

Right. Will it ever spill with these emitter specifications? ;)

Guess i have to wait some time before i get this =P

It could very well be an "Ah, of course!" moment. :P

I'll explain when the correct answer has been given, or when the quiz is over. Still many people who haven't even read this yet. Especially mthw2vc might know the answer if someone else doesn't beat him to it. Please note that I won't be responding to second 'guesses' in any way; I will only respond to serious first time answers.

Echo51

My final and real guess is gonna be 3-4 seconds, due to it not flowing out evenly :P

actually, 6-7 instead, dident notice the initial delay
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES