Titan Suggestions

Started by ShadowDragon7015, February 24, 2013, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chawe800

The point of this thread is to release all of your fantastical ideas even if Virgil has his titans all picked out. So go ahead give it a shot.  :D
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

blank

Thor, C-bomb, and DB are all strong as a titan unit should be but they also all have their weakness. I don't really want to see any of them as titans in CW3 but not because they are "overpowered" but because I want to see CW3, not CW1 or CW2 called CW3.

I am sure you could just sit back and terraform an area and build berthas all over the place on some maps. http://knucklecracker.com/blog/index.php/2012/10/big-bertha/ Would that mean the bertha is overpowered? I think in a way bertha is stronger than thor but in another it is weaker.

As always it is going to be up to the map maker to make a good map.

Some other titan ideas:

poison plopper - oh no that digitalis looks brown what happened? This unit infects digitalis somehow. Any runners that pass over the brown area lose health fast and bust dumping their payload that has been converted into AC. Able to hit at long range like bertha. To bad the digitalis can heal itself.

super stunner - able to stun anything even a moving CRPL but only for a short time. Wish it had a larger range.

UpperKEES

Quote from: blank on March 04, 2013, 03:45:51 AM
Thor, C-bomb, and DB are all strong as a titan unit should be but they also all have their weakness. I don't really want to see any of them as titans in CW3 but not because they are "overpowered" but because I want to see CW3, not CW1 or CW2 called CW3.

Agreed!

I am sure you could just sit back and terraform an area and build berthas all over the place on some maps. http://knucklecracker.com/blog/index.php/2012/10/big-bertha/ Would that mean the bertha is overpowered? I think in a way bertha is stronger than thor but in another it is weaker.

Yes, they all sure had their weakness (high building/maintenance cost, low health for the DB, slow speed for the CB), but most of the time the challenge was gone at the moment you had build them and was able to operate them. Thor was the worst, because it didn't even need energy to operate.

As a result they are not used in many maps. I think it would be nice if we had titans that can be included in almost any map without unbalancing the game. You will never be able to beat a map with just Terps and Bertha's, because their fire rate is far too low. You have a good chance of surviving though! ;)

As always it is going to be up to the map maker to make a good map.

Absolutely true.

poison plopper - oh no that digitalis looks brown what happened? This unit infects digitalis somehow. Any runners that pass over the brown area lose health fast and bust dumping their payload that has been converted into AC. Able to hit at long range like bertha. To bad the digitalis can heal itself.

I like it! Can infected Runners that haven't died yet infact other Runners?

super stunner - able to stun anything even a moving CRPL but only for a short time. Wish it had a larger range.

Anything? Even the Creeper itself?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

lurkily

Quote from: koker93 on March 03, 2013, 03:38:16 PMThe DB for instance in order to be balanced should require 2-3 times the ammo it consumes.
That may balance it, but it still wouldn't be interesting to me.  :/

blank

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 04, 2013, 05:39:26 AM
You will never be able to beat a map with just Terps and Bertha's

We will see   ;D

I like it! Can infected Runners that haven't died yet infact other Runners?

I doubt it, from what I can tell runners have nothing to do with each other once they are born.

Anything? Even the Creeper itself?

The super stunner can stun even creeper but in testing found out this was a job better left to shields so they have been hard wired not to stun creeper. The problem with stunned creeper was similar to turning off a shield at the worst time possible.

UpperKEES

Quote from: blank on March 05, 2013, 01:33:23 AM
We will see   ;D

Play this  map to prepare yourself. :P I enjoyed this unconventional early CW1 map a lot, but keep in mind there's a huge difference in fire rate between mortars and Bertha's.

I doubt it, from what I can tell runners have nothing to do with each other once they are born.

They're family, right? They should share the good and the bad things. ;)

The super stunner can stun even creeper but in testing found out this was a job better left to shields so they have been hard wired not to stun creeper. The problem with stunned creeper was similar to turning off a shield at the worst time possible.

You sound like Virgil. I guess you wrote a CW3 alpha simulator? ;D Anyway, you made a wise choice. It will be a very useful unit nonetheless with all those CRPL-cores moving around the map.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

The virgil: Creator and Destroyer

"And so I become death, destroyer of worlds" (ring a bell from another game :))
We have become the creeper...

Shrike30

That or hindu scripture, yeah.

A titan shield-type structure might be interesting.  Not necessarily a spherical shield, but one that could be projected to a location or maybe in a direction; allow the user to plant a point or line like you'd do with a Strafer/Bomber and shield an area (at significant energy cost) along there.

Microwave Cannon with Orbital Mirror - Designate a target area, pump packets continuously into the ground emitter, fire a beam into orbit and reflect it back off the mirror, and the target area has continuous creeper reduction.  Unfortunately, this also disrupts/cooks anticreeper, and does nothing to digitalis, but it can clean up your target area pretty well :)

hoodwink

Quote from: Shrike30 on March 06, 2013, 12:58:20 PM
Microwave Cannon with Orbital Mirror - Designate a target area, pump packets continuously into the ground emitter, fire a beam into orbit and reflect it back off the mirror, and the target area has continuous creeper reduction.  Unfortunately, this also disrupts/cooks anticreeper, and does nothing to digitalis, but it can clean up your target area pretty well :)

I like this. A continuous AOE weapon is what we seem need. Either that or giant space mirrors are too amazing. :D
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

lurkily

Quote from: Shrike30 on March 06, 2013, 12:58:20 PMMicrowave Cannon with Orbital Mirror - Designate a target area, pump packets continuously into the ground emitter, fire a beam into orbit and reflect it back off the mirror, and the target area has continuous creeper reduction.  Unfortunately, this also disrupts/cooks anticreeper, and does nothing to digitalis, but it can clean up your target area pretty well :)
I remember this one - this is similar to the suggestion for transiting dark beams into a 3D topographical environment, while limiting their power enough to be interesting.  I still like this one.

EDIT: I still like the idea of assigning them vectors, though, like bombers, and having them periodically sweep the area, instead of turning the area into a creep sink, like you poked a hole in the bottom of the map or something.

Grauniad

This can easily be achieved by a combination of the current two Titans.

The issue with the titan described above is that in CW2 the DB gave passage and created a barrier. A beam from space is point-based. Given that it is powerful, there isn't much creeper to reduce over an extended period of time.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Shrike30

That does give us some insight as to what the Singularity Weapon feature of the Aether Forge might do, unless you're referring to a completely different titan.

Ronini

I think he was referring to Berthas with a number of firing rate upgrades (i.e. the Aether Forge). You could target a number of Berthas on the same spot, manually, couldn't you?

Just so that this post remains on topic I'll repost the Wind Generator idea. I am still hoping for that one.

Shrike30

I'm not sure the Bertha would benefit from firing rate upgrades, actually.  The PCs have a magazine that they draw from, which can fire a couple dozen shots without a refill; a firing rate upgrade drains that magazine faster, but the PC doesn't seem to request packets more often.  The Bertha empties it's entire magazine (one shot) and then has to receive an entire magazine's worth of packets before it can fire again.  In order for it to benefit from a firing rate upgrade, it would seem like the Bertha would need to get packets sent to it at a higher rate than baseline.

The Singularity Weapon feature of the Aether Forge seen in "Aether" is intriguing to me, as it has a percentage slider (for what? we can only guess!) and seems to use Aether as ammunition, implying that it is quite powerful as you must power several buildings to use it.

Ronini

Okay. Then it's the packet speed upgrade.

My guess regarding the percentage slider is that it regulates how much of the Aether the forge is receiving is transformed to upgrade points and how much is used for charging the singularity weapon. But it's just a guess, really.