Custom Map: Gold Miners Path

Started by AutoPost, May 19, 2011, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: rchev on August 06, 2011, 04:31:44 PM
No way you'll stand off the creeps with just two blasters...at least not in my edition of the game. Fess up!

rchev, when are you finally going to realize that you are a pretty poor player? The harder maps are just too much for you, so better concentrate on the easier ones, which will give you more satisfaction (and us some decent map comments on the forums ;)).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

rchev

Snotty comment, but we'll let that pass. No way this balances energy and weapons...what's the fun in this map?

rchev

Well, I've tried to replicate your so-called screenshot and no way you can (a) build enuf energy (b) stand off creeps with just two blasters and (c) rescue the survivors. Andwhy why make the city un-movable. This could have been a great, fun map--you got carried away.

Grauniad

I tried the strategy outlined and I can attest to its success. I got a pretty bad time, as is usual the first time one plays a map - somewhere in the 30+ minutes, but it was certainly do-able. Hard, but do-able. Tight management of energy was a prerequisite. Two blasters suffice for the first 5 minutes or so.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

udobud

I knew I could not have been far off.  Placement makes all the difference in the world!  Thank you.  MadMag, please keep the coming on creeper world 1, as I am probably the only one not digging part 2... :(

udobud

Those of you having trouble after the spoiler, remember, energy management.  Once the creeper is under control, take your time and build energy/speed before upgrading.  The spoiler is spot on! My original map only had my blasters off by a couple of mouse clicks away.  That is what is so great about this game especially when you have a map designer who takes so much time to perfect a map without the cheats.  Thanks again Madmag, your maps are the best I have found.  It is obvious you spend a lot of time and energy perfecting energy'/speed/timing/storage to defeat a map!  With all that being said, keep it up Madmag, your maps are some of the best out there, especially when you take out the cheats and play the game clean.

DethbyIT

@udobud -
MadMag does indeed make some terrific games and the graphics are superb. Definitely top-tier.

You might also want to do a search for maps by "UpperKEES" (exact spelling necessary) - but be prepared to play very tightly throughout the games. In many of them, you survive one crisis only to be enmeshed in the next one.

"Shodan7" also comes to mind, "Fisherck", ...(someone help me out with others).

Finally, thank you for recognizing those who take the time and trouble to make up all this fun stuff for the rest of us. They certainly deserve the accolades.

CatoSterling

Thanks, dbit!  With your excellent starting screenshot, I was finally able to complete this map.  Even then, it took me a couple of tries to get it right (don't build the 2nd blaster too soon, don't connect to the totem too soon, don't wait too long before rescuing the survivor).

Even after getting a foothold, the terrain (and lack of drones) made it non-trivial to advance.

DethbyIT

Cato -
One of the Old Timers around here once mentioned about building Blasters and Mortars and storing them as 'unarmed' until you can fly them in to clear out space for a Collector or Relay.

That technique seemed to work here.

Also keep in mind that it is OK to ignore Emitters - as long as they aren't blocking your path to the Totems.

With the time you just posted, a couple of tricks should put you ahead of me.

Nicely done!
dbit

snowmaker (JM)

Here is another screen shot.. about 7:32. I initially had only two blasters to defend and then added another so that I wouldn't have to worry about losing OC.

Quote from: rchev on August 06, 2011, 05:45:34 PM
Well, I've tried to replicate your so-called screenshot and no way you can (a) build enuf energy (b) stand off creeps with just two blasters and (c) rescue the survivors. Andwhy why make the city un-movable. This could have been a great, fun map--you got carried away.

These types of maps are very "playable"... you just need to learn to play more efficiently, then these types of "harder" (speaking relatively) maps are the bomb.

"All your bases are belong to us"  ;)

DethbyIT

@snowmaker (JM),
You seem to be WAY ahead of me on reactor production.
Are you building them one at a time or do you go into energy deficit to build multiples at the same time?

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 07, 2011, 07:49:03 PM
@snowmaker (JM),
You seem to be WAY ahead of me on reactor production.
Are you building them one at a time or do you go into energy deficit to build multiples at the same time?

I typically build as many collectors as possible... You can build 3 collects faster than 1 reactor, which equals more energy (Don't forget placement to maximize your energy). That in turn allows you to build more reactors later  ;)

DethbyIT

Hmmm - I was building them concurrently in this game (too impatient).
Darn...guess I'll just have to play this one again.
<Grin>

CatoSterling

In my first doomed attempts at this map, my mistake was to place a blaster on that little platform just northwest of OC.  So obvious, so wrong.  It's the only rectilinear terrain in the map -- newbie bait?

DethbyIT

OK - took about 5 minutes off my time.

Cato - hunker down for the first few minutes. Build 2-3 Collectors, then start your first Blaster.

The image from (JM) is an outstanding example of how to build your network/initial defense.

Your first time is a whole bunch better than mine was.
dbit