Re: Custom Map: Lost Temple

Started by Ebon Heart, May 06, 2011, 03:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

Context: This and the following posts have been split from the custom map discussion  for the map "Lost Temple." I have edited this, the first post, to explain the circumstance and to provide context. Once again I will remind all forum members that criticizing other members for their posting content is off-topic in the custom maps board. If you have issues with a post, don't respond, click the "Report to moderator" link in the post. If we do not take action, it is because we do not agree with your point of view. The original post follows:

rchev, seeing as you don't like ANY of the maps here, and constantly complain about them, and insult the maps, along with the authors, will you please just get off the forums? no one will be sad to see you go. The door is that way. *points to red X button* or if dragging the mouse that far is too much of a slog for you, just press alt f4
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Quote from: rchev on May 05, 2011, 08:10:59 PM
A useless, boring sweat-slog. What WERE you thinking?

The guidelines for posting comments clearly state that your remarks are inconsiderate, so I assume appropriate action will be taken to avoid other members from adapting the same behaviour. I sure know that I am tempted....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mthw2vc

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 06, 2011, 03:42:22 PM
rchev, seeing as you don't like ANY of the maps here, and constantly complain about them, and insult the maps, along with the authors, will you please just get off the forums? no one will be sad to see you go. The door is that way. *points to red X button* or if dragging the mouse that far is too much of a slog for you, just press alt f4
I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon here, but I know better. Respect is mandatory for all members. You may have good intentions, but that is no way to treat another member, regardless of circumstance.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 06, 2011, 05:23:45 PM
I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon here, but I know better. Respect is mandatory for all members. You may have good intentions, but that is no way to treat another member, regardless of circumstance.

You just jumped on it. Being politically correct is nice, but reprimanding Ebon_Heart in this situation just shows a lack of empathy.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 06, 2011, 05:32:31 PM
Quote from: mthw2vc on May 06, 2011, 05:23:45 PM

You just jumped on it. Being politically correct is nice, but reprimanding Ebon_Heart in this situation just shows a lack of empathy.
I know it's mean.... but it's also rchev. May I ask, how is he not banned yet?

DethbyIT

I concur with the other players.
This time he has gone way beyond the pale.

I usually find that ignoring this type of attention-seeker is the right solution, but the Mods need to step up to the plate and put an end to this.
dbit

Ebon Heart

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 07, 2011, 06:34:47 AM
To get this topic back to what it should be about: just have a look at the old comments to get a good impression of the quality of this map.
Two things: first, I think, looking at the old comments, that rchev was the only one with anything negative to say about this map. Second,
In the rules for posting, it says the frequency at which people post negative comments like that will affect the severity of the punishment. How true is that, considering that well over 80% of posts rchev has made have been negative and insulting comments?

Grauniad

Please take this thread back to a discussion of the map, not individual posters' comments. Not liking a map and making a negative comment on a map is NOT cause for us to take action. While it is true that honey attracts more flies than vinegar, some people prefer to voice only their disappointment or frustration with maps that they do not find appealing. This is a personal choice and should not every time disrupt the Map Comments for a particular map.

Both Virgil and I have reviewed the comments made on this and other maps and while we understand that they are negative, they are within the bounds of what we will allow. Having said that, someone will also reach out to the individual to see if there is a way to "explain some things about working and playing well with others."

The very last thing we want to see is the Map Comments section erupt into a meta-discussion on personalities and having to lock threads or split posts off to preserve the integrity of the map comments.  Please also note that it is only a very small number of posters that invariably reacts to postings of this nature. If a post has been reported, there is no need to post off-topic comments on the thread itself. Moderators and Admin reviews all reported posts and will decide if action needs to be taken. That decision will not necessarily be relayed back to the person reporting the post.

Next off-topic post on this thread splits all posts from here to the end of this thread off.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Grauniad on May 07, 2011, 10:04:45 AM
Please take this thread back to a discussion of the map, not individual posters' comments. Not liking a map and making a negative comment on a map is NOT cause for us to take action. While it is true that honey attracts more flies than vinegar, some people prefer to voice only their disappointment or frustration with maps that they do not find appealing. This is a personal choice and should not every time disrupt the Map Comments for a particular map.

Both Virgil and I have reviewed the comments made on this and other maps and while we understand that they are negative, they are within the bounds of what we will allow. Having said that, someone will also reach out to the individual to see if there is a way to "explain some things about working and playing well with others."

The very last thing we want to see is the Map Comments section erupt into a meta-discussion on personalities and having to lock threads or split posts off to preserve the integrity of the map comments.  Please also note that it is only a very small number of posters that invariably reacts to postings of this nature. If a post has been reported, there is no need to post off-topic comments on the thread itself. Moderators and Admin reviews all reported posts and will decide if action needs to be taken. That decision will not necessarily be relayed back to the person reporting the post.

Next off-topic post on this thread splits all posts from here to the end of this thread off.

I'll post here anyway, because I don't like the way you often try to have the last word about topics being discussed without others being able to answer; that's what forums are for. Split if you like.

First of all your guidelines for posting comments state that comments shouldn't be personal. "What WERE you thinking?" implies a personal attack. If you (and Virgil) don't agree then better describe the guidelines in more detail or just forget about them, in particular when they get violated over and over by the same person.

Secondly I believe anybody should be able to comment on a previous comment; agreeing or disagreeing. Whether this is about the quality of the map, strategies used or the way someone expresses him-/herself (although I agree responding shouldn't turn into flaming). Again this is what forums are for, especially in a country that is so proud of its freedom of speech.

Thirdly I'm getting more and more the impression that the moderation team is too hesitant to take appropriate measures against flamers, while respected forum members get reprimanded because of responding to these unfounded insults. Too easy Grauniad! Time to show some balls! I really wonder how you would have reacted when you would have been insulted personally, like happened to Karsten75 by Cheesecake a year ago. No-one got reprimanded when some of us stood up for him.

And finally: don't you see that rchev is just testing you? He's probably reading all of this with a big grin on his face, knowing he can continue the very same way as he's done before. Keep allowing this and you'll lose the friendly attitude on these forums.

Grauniad

Virgil is out of town. I am locking this topic temporarily until he is back in town and can be involved in deciding on what actions to take.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon