Custom Map: Bored To Death

Started by AutoPost, July 15, 2010, 02:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherck

That is what I did, but I did not move the city. And minimizing it did not help. :( Much. Of course, if I built a bit less, that might help. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Brondahl

QuoteMaybe nice to see how someone else (Brondahl) attempted to solve this map the same way:

This is obviously not the way to go.... ;) (Although the two of you definitely played very well. :))

Hey there,
yeah, that took quite a while, I was also suffering from the lag that Fisherck gets. I had to pause it, build/move stuff, play it for 30 seconds then repeat... ughh

Having said that, getting to this point isn't particularlt hard ... you can use Thor as a shield and just sit behind it until you've maxed out your energy. then the rows of blaster's require a little thought to get them built, but really getting this far isn't much of a (skill) challenge. A patience and not just giving up challenge, definitely; but not skill.

Your other maps KEES, are much more interesting, and much harder.
I may even manage to beat one at some point ;)

Brondahl
(PS. Sorry I never got round to posting the image - I've been rather busy recently.)

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on August 14, 2010, 03:03:39 PM
That is what I did, but I did not move the city. And minimizing it did not help. :( Much. Of course, if I built a bit less, that might help. ;)

Quote from: Brondahl on August 15, 2010, 06:57:18 AM
yeah, that took quite a while, I was also suffering from the lag that Fisherck gets. I had to pause it, build/move stuff, play it for 30 seconds then repeat... ughh

I'm curious to know if the latest AIR update (2.0.3) does solve the delay. Before I minimized the window I resized to a tiny window (something like 150 x 100 pixels) and had my time elapse in a rather normal way.

Having said that, getting to this point isn't particularlt hard ... you can use Thor as a shield and just sit behind it until you've maxed out your energy. then the rows of blaster's require a little thought to get them built, but really getting this far isn't much of a (skill) challenge. A patience and not just giving up challenge, definitely; but not skill.

Don't underestimate yourself! Many people aren't even able to survive within the crazonium, let alone escape from it....

Your other maps KEES, are much more interesting, and much harder.
I may even manage to beat one at some point ;)

Thanks (and I agree). :) I'm sure you will be able to. I recommend starting with NJ-1: The Hydraulic Engineer, NJ-10: The Teacher, NJ-18: The Chemist or NJ-24: The Astronomer. These maps are probably the easiest in the series and will give some clues how to solve the other ones as well. The other 3 medium rated maps turned out a bit harder than expected (and should probably have been rated 'Hard').
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

Quote from: Fisherck on July 21, 2010, 11:53:10 PM
I admit defeat >:(, or at least for now. I can and will beat this map, probally in a couple months. Then I will be back.... ;D

Finally! I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
I said I would be back and I did come back. Not only did I finish, but I beat you in the sense of getting a longer time than you :D. Unfortunately, it took me 2 tries to do this >:(. I can say one thing though, I am never playing this map again. ;D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Heheh! ;D Well, 2 tries is not bad at all! It took me 4 after messing up....

Thanks for extending the average map time! ;)

Nate Dog

I looked at this map and thought to myself "I'll just fly OC over there and get the totem by hovering." After doing so, I was kindly informed that there was still an artifact. Needless to say, this map is no longer in my collection of custom maps  ;D

UpperKEES

Oh! :o Picking up an artifact shouldn't be that hard? Or is it? ;)

You actually made a very wise decision (after making the big mistake of downloading it.... ;D)

Nate Dog

Yah, I'm trying to become slightly better are some of these tricks. I used to just stay back and build up lots of energy and take forever, but after seeing some scores (read: this week's chronom contest) I became determined to get better. First time poster, long time player btw :)

UpperKEES

Quote from: Nate Dog on September 16, 2010, 06:24:58 PM
I used to just stay back and build up lots of energy and take forever, but after seeing some scores (read: this week's chronom contest)

Hmmm, that's actually exactly how I set my scores. ;) Just don't stay back too long (know when you have enough energy to rush to the totems).

Nice to see you participating as well!

Quote from: Nate Dog on September 16, 2010, 06:24:58 PM
First time poster, long time player btw :)

Never too late to join the forums! :)

BTW: tip for this map now the new update has been released: use the double speed option (up arrow)! Would have saved me about 5 hours during my 4 attempts.... ;)

Nate Dog

I've decided to work on your Nice Job series instead (at least for the moment). These look like a lot of fun!.. and less work :P

UpperKEES

Quote from: Nate Dog on September 16, 2010, 11:27:51 PM
I've decided to work on your Nice Job series instead (at least for the moment). These look like a lot of fun!.. and less work :P

Good choice! Definitely more fun, although I'm not sure about the amount of work.... (You'll find hints for almost every map in the comments. Don't read them if you like to figure it out yourself.)

Nate Dog

Yah, I'm not sure about the amount of work. I'm awful at multi-tasking, so this is gonna be tough. I was doing the soccer player one and I was like "Oh, SAMs would be good" *build a SAM* "Aww come on, another blaster died?!" Grr...

UpperKEES

Just pause before you build or move something. When I play my left index finger is on the P-key all the time. ;) You'll find that fighting at multiple fronts suddenly becomes dead easy.

BigBird

so yeah, I just spent over 10 hrs tryin to figure this one out. I got to the right side and moved OC but kept the top center and left. I was assaulting the "drool" from the head with 16 drones and 12 blasters trying to free up thor for other parts of the map. one of my blasters on the right ran out of juice and got overrun. There were so many buildings that 1 game second in double speed was about 3 seconds. its a challenge, but DAMN its BORING!! I surrender. Its hell of a map.

UpperKEES

It's probably even more boring when you know how to solve it, so I think it's a wise decision to surrender. At least you performed a heavy CPU test! :P

One star please! ;)