Re: Graphics Tutorial by Sauffaus

Started by UpperKEES, August 15, 2010, 01:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Great that you publish this Sauffaus! I'm glad you came back to the forums after such a long break from CW.

Regarding the attachments: I often have problems with them. Even when every file I attach is of the appropriate type and size. Last week I attached 2 .jpg files and a .png file, which kept giving me errors (and you have to re-create the post completely, because you can't edit any more after an error). When I converted the .png to a .jpg it all worked. I guess the SMF forum software still contains some bugs.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

I think I have successfully raised the timeouts and the file size limits.  Had to make a few changes to the web server, the forums, and php... and reboot (not sure why).  But it seems to work now.  I have attached your two files.  You can mod your text as you see appropriate.  I took out the last part about the attachments not working already.

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on August 15, 2010, 01:54:37 PM
I think I have successfully raised the timeouts

Thanks, that must have been it!

Quote from: Sauffaus on August 15, 2010, 08:47:44 AM
Well... the problem is, that I do hundreds, if not thousands of operations, which makes detailed descriptions almost impossible to write.

Could you maybe tell us which operations you use most often? Photoshop has almost unlimited possibilities.... (I just downloaded a tutorial last night.) Do you do something similar to MadMag, as he describes in this topic?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sauffaus

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 15, 2010, 02:27:39 PM
Could you maybe tell us which operations you use most often? Photoshop has almost unlimited possibilities.... (I just downloaded a tutorial last night.) Do you do something similar to MadMag, as he describes in this topic?

Well... A toolset I use extensively, is "Layer Effects"... with that, and endless copying and blending of layers, I build up a convincing backdrop for which I can do a couple of more "hand-drawn" detailes. Actually, I think that you could make a cool map just by utilizing "Layer Effects" and nothing else.

So, "Layer Effects" is a good bet for a "must learn".

knucracker

I stickied and locked the original post.  This will keep it clean and easy to find.  All of these other posts I have split out into this topic for further discussion.

Sauffaus

QuoteI stickied and locked the original post.

Nice to have it Sticky, but I think it is a mistake to lock it as well.

The Tutorial-thread will work best, if ppl can ask relevant questions for the file and its techniques, and I can reply directly in the original thread.
Like the question from UpperKEES, which to me was totally unexpected, but I guess to most readers extremely relevant.
That, however, open up for clutter, as shown above from [insert name here] :D.

The optimal solution would be, for me to hold "mini-admin-status", for the Tutorial-thread alone... being able to edit & delete threads.

If that is an option in this system, I don't know.

knucracker