Custom Map Video Series

Started by Mare, July 30, 2010, 07:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mare

Map: SPIFFEN'S Pyramid 2
Author: SPIFFEN (Who doesn't know this guy?)

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2312&page=

Personal Rating: 4
Personal Difficulty: Trivial, looks like it might be an easy on Double Down.
Personal Thoughts: I had recently played an extremely difficult map, so I wanted a Trivial just to Calm and Relax myself down. This map is perfect for a relaxing battle, you are at the safest spot, and can just spam buildings with little effort(You can do this on any map, however on this one, they can actually be built without being destroyed). I suspect that Spiffen's maps are all easy but fun as after the battle on this map, it was the most enjoyable easy victory for me. Recommended for people who like nice, easy battles.

Video Walkthrough:
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

SPIFFEN

Oh nice to see that you selected one of my maps for this thread =) ( I think it should be in the custom map main thread )

I make some more info , because you might need to edit your post a bit =P ( you forgot the 2 )

SPIFFENs Pyramid 2

In the chat i asked you if my SPIFFENs Face map is qualified for your video series ,
so if it is , here it is :

SPIFFENs Face

More Face maps here :
Face maps
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Mare

I have tried Devil's Den and have concluded that I think it is not possible to beat it on double down, here is a screen shot:

Right now I am tired so I will try Devil's Den on normal mode tomorrow.
The Three emitters I have circled are Highly aggressive emitters, Probably 1000 intensity.

Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

ontheworld

Quote from: Mare on August 02, 2010, 08:10:50 PM
The Three emitters I have circled are Highly aggressive emitters, Probably 1000 intensity.

i looked at it in the editor.

start     : 3600
interval  : 0.1
intensity: 1000

you were right, and for as far as i remember they were ment to put the level on a time limit

also on the middle there is another 1000 emmiter, start 240 interval 60

mthw2vc

Yes, but even before the 1000/0.1 emitters come on, there are 1000/60 emitters that start at 240 stacked there. Even on Double-Down, though, it is possible to finish before the time limit. See the pictures I posted in the comments of that map. (Given here for convenience)

Mare

Quote from: mthw2vc on August 03, 2010, 05:15:15 AM
Yes, but even before the 1000/0.1 emitters come on, there are 1000/60 emitters that start at 240 stacked there. Even on Double-Down, though, it is possible to finish before the time limit. See the pictures I posted in the comments of that map. (Given here for convenience)

Yes it is possible, you know why?

Map: Devil's Den
Author: Apocalypstic

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=7&page=

Personal Rating:5
Personal Difficulty: Hard, because it requires little thinking and more action.
Personal Thoughts: Very good map, I love how the terrain is exactly perfect to match the author's needs of " I purposely made this map to be extremely Difficult. Also, IN YOUR FACE, I completed it on Double Down and it wasn't that hard. The three super-emitters in the Horizontal center of the map are 1000 intensity and are very difficult to cap, as you can see in my video, I could not cap them, just stop them at a certain point. The middle one is impossible to cap, as there is not enough room for units. Wondering how to reach the totems? You have to time it between the intervals of the super-emitters and build relays as fast as possible, its tricky at first, in fact when I first played this map on DD, I gave up. Then I retried the map and saw it was possible to accomplish. Good map Apocalypstic!!!

Video Walkthrough:

Blaze

Dang, your skilled.

I'd never be able to do that in a long time.

Mare

Quote from: Blaze on August 03, 2010, 12:54:03 PM
Dang, your skilled.

I'd never be able to do that in a long time.

I get a lot of encouragement from people who want to see my videos. Thanks for the compliment!!!

Mare

Map: Twi's Canals
Author: Twi

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2448&page=

Personal Rating: 4.6
Personal Difficulty: Medium
Personal Thoughts: Good map, I like how the techs were placed in a hard to reach spot. If Twi had fixed Odin City to thats spot, I could not have been able to reach the tech by flying. Then this map would be rated hard. Unfortunately, I was being smart and cheap so I thought why not just fly the city to get the techs then go back, of course its your choice, play the hard way by being stationary or take the method I used and fly over to pick up the techs. In the very east side of the map, it was the most challenging, I had to not only cap the bottom emitters there, but had to fly some blasters over and cap the emitters on the high ground. This map was enjoyable and can be play in many ways and no matter how you finish the map, it was a satisfying victory.

Video Walkthrough:

Twi

I specifically told Mare, "I don't care which one of my maps you do, as long as you do it and like it."

I believe his reaction was "YAAY". :D

Anyways, thanks. The terrain is quite simple, but quite effective, it seems.  I myself had some trouble getting the reactors without flying the city.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Mare

Map: Spiffen's Face
Author: Spiffen

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2491&page=#

Personal Rating: 4
Personal Difficulty: Medium
Personal Thoughts: WOW...just WOW. Out of all of Spiffen's maps, this is the first one I have played that is actually hard to beat, even on double down it was challenging. The beginning is the hardest part, you have to make a blaster or a mortar quickly in order to not die by the pool of creeper right next to you. It was a fun map and enjoyable for people who love building things up like me.

Video Walkthrough:

SPIFFEN

QuoteVideo Walkthrough:
Thx =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mare on July 31, 2010, 08:03:03 PM
Map: Hard Art 3- Color Planes
Author: UpperKEES

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2739&page=

Personal Rating: 4.4
Personal Difficulty:Medium
Personal Thoughts:.....how to put this........time consuming....but fun fighting the Creeper. On this map, you start out on a single "Square" and in order to win you must capture (cap the emitters) another square until you have access to the totems without a building being destroyed. It was fun but I was saddened with the fact that in game time it took 33 mins, and in real time, ONE HOUR. Good map for a long but interesting fight, each square you capture does something to the other squares around it, either making the square empty with nothing or fill up faster with Creeper, nevertheless, fun. I like how the "second type" of Emitter was implemented into the game's system, where you place an emitter but then place a wall right below it in order to cap it off, if the wall dissolves, the emitter will emit...in other words, Your screwed. However when I played I never noticed if the capped emitters activated or not, I just ignored all non-emitting emitters and capped the ones that seemed like an actual threat to me. The most annoying part....most likely the fact that there were many emitters all over the map, capping each one costed more units then I expected and, surprisingly, less energy then I expected. One question I asked myself after I was finished......HOW THE HELL DID EVERYONE GET BETTER SCORES THEN ME!??!?!?!. When I looked at the score board, I was saddened to see many people above me and some below, I thought to myself, "Ah Who cares about a score, when you have fun with a game, no one cares about the points you get. Also, it was an ingenious way to make a capped emitter because the mortars I had kept firing at it instead of the place I wanted it to fire at. Upperkees made a good map, enjoyable for a self-satisfying victory after completion.

Video Walkthrough:

Thanks for the review Mare! :)

I think you made it a little hard on yourself by conquering the complete map the 'old fashioned' way instead of first concentrating on stopping some of the already capped emitters and going straight for the totems after that. Like you concluded yourself you could have done with less energy (capping an emitter doesn't cost that much) and when you prevent emitters from going off you don't need that many units either (which results in a game time almost equal to your actual playing time, although this also depends on the speed of your computer). If you use mortars better put them just out of range of the emitters (this goes for almost every map). I like the music you've put under the video!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Mare

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 10, 2010, 07:24:22 AM
Quote from: Mare on July 31, 2010, 08:03:03 PM
Map: Hard Art 3- Color Planes
Author: UpperKEES

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2739&page=

Personal Rating: 4.4
Personal Difficulty:Medium
Personal Thoughts:.....how to put this........time consuming....but fun fighting the Creeper. On this map, you start out on a single "Square" and in order to win you must capture (cap the emitters) another square until you have access to the totems without a building being destroyed. It was fun but I was saddened with the fact that in game time it took 33 mins, and in real time, ONE HOUR. Good map for a long but interesting fight, each square you capture does something to the other squares around it, either making the square empty with nothing or fill up faster with Creeper, nevertheless, fun. I like how the "second type" of Emitter was implemented into the game's system, where you place an emitter but then place a wall right below it in order to cap it off, if the wall dissolves, the emitter will emit...in other words, Your screwed. However when I played I never noticed if the capped emitters activated or not, I just ignored all non-emitting emitters and capped the ones that seemed like an actual threat to me. The most annoying part....most likely the fact that there were many emitters all over the map, capping each one costed more units then I expected and, surprisingly, less energy then I expected. One question I asked myself after I was finished......HOW THE HELL DID EVERYONE GET BETTER SCORES THEN ME!??!?!?!. When I looked at the score board, I was saddened to see many people above me and some below, I thought to myself, "Ah Who cares about a score, when you have fun with a game, no one cares about the points you get. Also, it was an ingenious way to make a capped emitter because the mortars I had kept firing at it instead of the place I wanted it to fire at. Upperkees made a good map, enjoyable for a self-satisfying victory after completion.

Video Walkthrough:

Thanks for the review Mare! :)

I think you made it a little hard on yourself by conquering the complete map the 'old fashioned' way instead of first concentrating on stopping some of the already capped emitters and going straight for the totems after that. Like you concluded yourself you could have done with less energy (capping an emitter doesn't cost that much) and when you prevent emitters from going off you don't need that many units either (which results in a game time almost equal to your actual playing time, although this also depends on the speed of your computer). If you use mortars better put them just out of range of the emitters (this goes for almost every map). I like the music you've put under the video!

Thanks for the compliment!! If you know any good maps to review I would appreciate it because I cannot find many maps that are good anymore...

Sauffaus