Untraversable ground

Started by Katamoran, June 18, 2010, 02:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katamoran

Well, exactly what the title said. What if there was ground that you could not build on? I've made several maps where I don't want you to be able to build in areas (pits, creeper zones, heights). Perhaps it would just be a switch that you could toggle while making ground?
I've included my idea in a helpful picture, illustrating my idea. Of course, it wouldn't have to look exactly like that.

Anyway, I want ground that you can't build on. It's too frustrating to make bars on different terrain in order to keep the player where I want them. Also, the bars thing disrupts the flow of the creeper. The untraversable ground wouldn't.

See attached.

-Katamoran

UpperKEES

Yep, I've thought of the same thing and that would indeed be useful. There are workarounds however and these are not visible like your bars on the left. Check out this map for instance.

Nice picture by the way! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Twi

Such things have been suggested.
Hate to say it, but use the search function. Of course, I don't think the word 'untraversable' was used in any of them...
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Katamoran

@Twi
Aye, I figured other people might have said something to this effect, but I didn't really know what to search for. I did do some searches, with stuff like 'ground', but nothing really popped up. I also didn't want to root through 18 pages of suggestions, and figured it might be time to get this back into the eye of the people. It would be a useful feature.

@UpperKEES
While that idea does work, I want to be able to have edge height, and if creeper flows over it, I want it to flow naturally, not like there are squares or bars in its way.

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 18, 2010, 03:14:38 PM
Yep, I've thought of the same thing and that would indeed be useful. There are workarounds however and these are not visible like your bars on the left. Check out this map for instance.

This is to UpperKEES. I have been working with the paint program a bit, and uploaded a few maps with paint backgrounds. But I have not figured out how you kept the background the same while changing the terrain like in NJ-14: Squad Leader (wich I had a fun time beating). How did you do it?
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

F0R asked the same thing, so first see here.

The trick is to only change the image where you know a different elevation will be, so you have to design your map in advance. For NJ-14 the background looks like this:

In this case it was rather easy to create, as I didn't have to paste in other textures, like with The Teacher. So after loading the image with the clouds into the Map Editor (terrain levels were already designed), I changed the level tint for levels 3-5 to zero (which makes them black). Then I took a screenshot (use the backspace key) and loaded that image into a paint program. Don't use MS Paint for that; the quality of their JPG compression is terrible. I use IrfanView, which is for free and much better. (If you do use Paint, save as PNG-file).

Then I use the fill tool to replace the black parts by grey (because different shades of black don't exist, but you can use any color, except for black and white). Save that image and use it as background in the Map Editor. Change the level tints 3-5 back et voilĂ .

When you like to use different textures like rock or wood for parts of your background, you have to make custom selections that you manually replace (so that means calculating & counting pixels :P). Therefore you better crop (ratio = 1.4583333) & resize (to 700x480) the image first. Every 10 pixels become 1 block in the Map Editor.

Hope that helps. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

Thanks. this will help a lot :D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.