Weekly 5-Map Tournament - Coming Attractions - closing 18 Nov 2012

Started by Helper, November 12, 2012, 06:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

I've been tracking Virgil's progress and am looking forward to the new version of CW.
While we wait, play these games based on his blog posts.

Theme: Coming Attractions - closing 18 Nov 2012

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
The Island of Dr. Wall 11/11MediumMedium
NACDAR 11/3MediumLow
Space Invaders 10/28SmallHigh
Digitalis 10/21MediumHigh
Big Bertha 10/14LargeLow

A few useful links:
All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Helper

Results Per Player

RankNameThe Island of Dr. Wall 11/11NACDAR 11/3Space Invaders 10/28Digitalis 10/21Big Bertha 10/14Total ScoreTotal Time
1Helper12087130091103411969126976079630:44
2UoADeadeye1097211909823011177117795406793:01
3TheSmileyCoder1300211530122611271849511
4ctuna1207912821118611274149502
5dt421204312700106601187647279
6inept_celt1137312006108111197246162
7Martin1248612486
Best scores in Bold Blue.
Scores recorded at 2012-11-16 06:26:42 forum time.

deety42

Smiley & Helper, any chance of posting some tips on how you go those awesome scores on NACDAR 11/3.  I can't even kill the first emitter by 5 minutes! 

Helper

For NACDAR, keep in mind that those are very low level Emitters and you have all the remnants/jewels you need to power your way through.
There are no nasty surprises waiting for you anywhere, so just charge all the way.

SmileyCoder

I redid the level and recorded it. Even managed to shave a few seconds of my previous time. You can find the video

This time I chose to do the video in real-time, to give a better impression of my methods. When you deal with low power emitters, makers are especially usefull, as I am sure the video will show.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

deety42

Oh no!  I've been playing that level on Medium/High, so there were combating fields in those cavities.  I was watching SmileyCoder's video thinking, how can he put an emitter up there when the field is going to push all the creep into it and then I realized what was wrong.  Well, if you want an interesting challenge, try it on High.  Now, I'm going to try it on Low which should be sooooo much easier.  Thanks again!

SmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoder

Grauniad

I believe the preceding post was intended as a joke. At least perceive it as such. I intend to take no further action. Too thin a skin is never a good thing.

Edit: As for the video itself, its very.... professional. :P
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

lurkily

Definitely was intended as a joke.  The video's very smooth, better than anything I could do, with my inexperience - I haven't the tools or knowledge to do as good a job.

I'm not REALLY a jerk.  I just play one in real life.

SmileyCoder

I really don't know how to respond to that.

I agree with Grauniad, that thin skin does not go good with the internet, luckily the internet is a big place.

I find that I don't really understand the humour behind the post, and find it both weird and uncalled for, and fail to see what the post was meant to achieve. I doubt many read the post and laughed.
TheSmileyCoder

lurkily

Quote from: SmileyCoder on November 15, 2012, 03:32:13 AM
I really don't know how to respond to that.

I agree with Grauniad, that thin skin does not go good with the internet, luckily the internet is a big place.

I find that I don't really understand the humour behind the post, and find it both weird and uncalled for, and fail to see what the post was meant to achieve. I doubt many read the post and laughed.
Well, nothing's funny when you have to explain it.

My humor is often blended with sarcasm and irony, and can sometimes have a near-British dryness to it.  And we all know how comprehensible those British are.  So I'll admit that, although it's usually not as opaque as this one seems to be, judging from people's reactions, it is not always something that everybody gets.  (And what joke is?)

With that in mind, since this seems to be taken more seriously than intended, I'm taking down the post.

Helper

Grauniad -
This isn't about thin skin, it is about common courtesy and common sense.

There is no humor involved in someone jumping into a thread and posting snarky comments - a thread in which he had no involvement of any kind.

The old adage about not saying anything if you have nothing good to say stands up well in this situation and your own snarky little "Edit" comment is entirely out of place.

It would seem prudent for you to quit taking sides (for or against) other members and simply be a "Moderator" instead of an advocate.

lurkily

Quote from: Helper on November 16, 2012, 06:40:29 AMIt would seem prudent for you to quit taking sides (for or against) other members and simply be a "Moderator" instead of an advocate.
It's a moderator's job to take sides.  I know posting now seems self-serving of me, but the situation's over, and I've admitted my fault in it, and the post is rescinded.  I don't think that questioning his judgement, integrity, and professionalism after you've gotten what you want is the best way to lay this to rest.

Helper

Why would I want to "lay this to rest"?

Your actions were improper and so were Grauniad's. I did wait a couple of days to respond in order to not post too hasty a reply, but I have no intention of letting it rest.

And, no - it is NOT a Moderator's job to 'take sides'. It is understandable that one might think so, but a real moderator stays carefully neutral and doesn't allow his personal favoritism (or disfavor) to show.

You are apparently suffering under the misconception that it is acceptable behavior to jump in and post your "humor" in a thread where you have no involvement and where you think it is OK to take a cheap shot at work that someone else has done. In that you are wrong and might be better served to move on down the road.

Your criticism is one of form over function and is meritless. One of the other players asked for some help and Smiley graciously took the time and effort to provide it.

If you have something to contribute, why not beat his 4:09 time and make your own video? Criticizing others is so much more effective when done from a postition of merit.