Weekly 5-Map Tournament - Coming Attractions - closing 18 Nov 2012

Started by Helper, November 12, 2012, 06:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkily

Quote from: Helper on November 16, 2012, 08:21:44 AMAnd, no - it is NOT a Moderator's job to 'take sides'. It is understandable that one might think so, but a real moderator stays carefully neutral and doesn't allow his personal favoritism (or disfavor) to show.
What I'm saying is that, neutral as a mod must be, every decision has to be in someone's favor.  I didn't mean it's his job to be unprofessional. Trust me, I'm likely no favorite of his.  ;)

I've apologized to Smiley, and removed the post.  Now, I'll apologize to the community I've disrupted: I'm sorry.  (EDIT: I looked back, and realized, I did NOT post an explicit apology, I allowed it to remain implicit.  I'll make it clear now - I do apologize to you, Smiley, that my post was expressed in a different spirit than it was intended.)  

I can't apologize to you, since you're championing someone else's cause.  That being the case, I'll not post here again.  Since this is now between you and Gran alone, my suggestion would be to complete this in PM's.  If you want to further discuss with me, you can contact me by PM, though I don't think I have anything left to contribute.  I won't check in here again.

Hopefully, with this, the community can start healing from the drama I've incited, and any issues that need to be addressed can be addressed privately and productively.

SmileyCoder

I was going to stay out of this, as its most likely going nowhere, but I wont let that one slide:

Saying "No-one here gets my humour, so I removed my post" does not technically count as an apology in my book.

If you have honest and constructive criticism of my work, please let me know. If you do find the intro lame, I actually do want to know. I can't improve my work, without knowledge of where to improve. But a half sarcastic half snide remark just leaves me wondering.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

lurkily

Quote from: SmileyCoder on November 16, 2012, 08:41:48 AM
I was going to stay out of this, as its most likely going nowhere, but I wont let that one slide:

Saying "No-one here gets my humour, so I removed my post" does not technically count as an apology in my book.

If you have honest and constructive criticism of my work, please let me know. If you do find the intro lame, I actually do want to know. I can't improve my work, without knowledge of where to improve. But a half sarcastic half snide remark just leaves me wondering.
Sorry, I saw that as well, and edited my post immediately above.

EDIT: The intro wasn't lame - the only constructive criticism I can offer is that it seems to clash stylistically with CW2's styles - the look and colors and music, but on its own merit as an introduction to a video, it is very smooth and well done.

SmileyCoder

Apology accepted.

I hear your point (and appreciate your oppinion), that the style does not really match. The intro is something I made for my MS access tutorials, and just re-used for my CW2 videos.
TheSmileyCoder

Helper

I normally only post this chart once (then update it during the week) but will post it again as a 'do-over'. Time to move on down the road.

Results Per Player

RankNameThe Island of Dr. Wall 11/11NACDAR 11/3Space Invaders 10/28Digitalis 10/21Big Bertha 10/14Total ScoreTotal Time
1TheSmileyCoder12249130021169312261127186192322:31
2mopa4212103129881143212235126956145325:48
3Helper12087130091103411969127176081630:36
4ctuna12079128211113311861127416063531:48
5dt4212043127001094711876124916005735:22
6UoADeadeye1097211909823011177117795406793:01
7inept_celt1137312006108111197246162
8rob3k1040011893104121197244677
9Martin119721248624458
10ea34011178011780
11Wheatmidge1155411554
Best scores in Bold Blue.
Scores recorded at 2012-11-18 18:46:43 forum time.

inept_celt

Any tips or hints on beating Space Invaders 10/28 would be greatly appreciated.  I get burnt up at about the 4:00 minute mark.

Thanks.

Helper

That one pretty well kicked my butt.
Here is how I started out (1:00).
The key to survival (for me) was getting that white jewel down the left side.

inept_celt

ctuna

Quote from: inept_celt on November 16, 2012, 08:30:37 PM
Thanks a lot, but I can't get all that done in a minute.

I'm with you, Celt - though I can get close to that, I can't sustain the beam with the energy I can produce that soon, so far. Guess there's more to it - and I'll keep looking for a solution

Wheatmidge

Quote from: ctuna on November 16, 2012, 11:30:43 PM
Quote from: inept_celt on November 16, 2012, 08:30:37 PM
Thanks a lot, but I can't get all that done in a minute.

I'm with you, Celt - though I can get close to that, I can't sustain the beam with the energy I can produce that soon, so far. Guess there's more to it - and I'll keep looking for a solution

If you are really efficient with your energy you can build enough reactors to fuel the dark beam by the time of the break out.

The advice I would add is to grab the top tech resource. Even though it exposes decayable ground the added bonuses are more important, and the top ground will break first.

rob3k

Bought the games after playing the flash versions for free and finding a surprisingly thriving community around them. I'm sure most here can relate with becoming slightly obsessed with the game after first playing.

I don't think I'm any threat to win these weekly challenges, but it's fun to jump in. Interesting to see the top times for a map like NACDAR and then note how far I am from polishing off the creeper at the 5 minute mark!

I played 'The Island of Dr. Wall' (no 11/11 on the end) as my first map towards this weekly and didn't realize my mistake until I checked the online scores after submitting.   ;D

Helper

Hi rob3k - a hearty welcome to CW!
I laughed when reading your comment about playing the wrong version of the game you wanted...something that (IMO) everyone here has done more than once.

I've even done the wrong ones (size/difficulty) on games that I selected for the week's competition.

You might want to look at all the advice over in "Gameplay Discussion" (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0) for a load of tips/tricks for improving your scores. Every time I read through those I find things that I've missed/forgotten.

Have some fun with these games and feel free to ask any specific questions about any of them. Smiley might even make a video for you to review. ;)

EDIT:
Looking at your times/scores, it appears as though you are leaving behind some Gems/Remnants. That is why you have better times than others, but lower total scores.

deety42

It was a real balancing act to keep the beam going on that map for me.  I kept adding reactors one-by-one.  And the beam sometimes broke off for a second a leaked.  And I used all my tech to increase reactor efficiency and packet speed.  And, I restarted several times to focus on amassing as much energy production capacity as possible.  It was an interesting one...

rob3k

Quote from: Helper on November 17, 2012, 08:52:04 AM
Hi rob3k - a hearty welcome to CW!
I laughed when reading your comment about playing the wrong version of the game you wanted...something that (IMO) everyone here has done more than once.

I've even done the wrong ones (size/difficulty) on games that I selected for the week's competition.

You might want to look at all the advice over in "Gameplay Discussion" (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0) for a load of tips/tricks for improving your scores. Every time I read through those I find things that I've missed/forgotten.

Have some fun with these games and feel free to ask any specific questions about any of them. Smiley might even make a video for you to review. ;)

EDIT:
Looking at your times/scores, it appears as though you are leaving behind some Gems/Remnants. That is why you have better times than others, but lower total scores.

TYVM! I have realized I have to grab those pick ups, though I forget about them some of the time...

Space Invaders has pretty well whipped me. I think I need to experiment with dark beams a bit as this map is the first time I've attempted building one and it just gets destroyed as soon as the creeper breaks through.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a Space Invaders video after the weekly comp is finished, but I don't want to start any fights.  ;)

SmileyCoder

Here is a video of the start:

Remember that all my videos are available in a higher quality then youtube's default settings.
TheSmileyCoder