physically impossible scores

Started by reebster, April 03, 2010, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reebster

So, I am assuming that the high scores posted are physically impossible without manipulating the system  somehow. Unless some of these guys wanna post the walkthrough? If not, why cheat?  ;D

Karsten75

And at the same time, why post your walkthrough just so a bunch of people can get the same score without dong the hard work that comes with some of those high scores?  :)

I don't think it's good to come into a new place and start slinging accusations around.  :)

But welcome, stranger.  Stick around and you may find some of the techniques mentioned in some threads here.

kenb

Dont be despondent, you need to see the way some of these boys n girls do there thing, try finding the one where siccles does Corvus, when I started I was a little doubtful about some of the high scores but I can now get half decent scores myself and only through keep playing and pick up the tips, its an excellent game though is it not.

Ken

Flyboy

So, by practising and playing the games repeatedly, I'll be able to match the All Time Leader score for Grim 1 of 9989?

As the game starts its timer at a score of 9992, this means I would have to complete the game in 3.5 seconds!

I don't believe a word of it.

PS pour scorn on me for being new on the forum all you like......I still won't believe that anyone can achieve these high scores without some form of manipulation of the game parameters.

UpperKEES

Some scores for the story missions have definitely been manipulated. I think you want to be looking at Kapoios' scores for an indication of a fair and very fast time. The faster ones belong to cheaters.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mszegedy

And how would one do this? The most blatant thing I can think of is just SHing into the database and logging your score; but in that case, why not make it 9999? Or perhaps they are playing modified versions, but then there would have to be some source code floating around... and then they would has the SH address anyway. You can probably get that via Gameshark or whatever that program is called (I'm sure I am confusing it with a critic site).

Flyboy

The fastest scores are being logged by cheaters...no doubt about it.  And the only people they are cheating are themselves!  They need to get a life - one that does not involve manipulating the rules and proving nothing except that, far from being the All Time High Scorers, they are in fact the All Time Losers.

I think you are right.....Kapoios's scores seem to be credible.  As for the rest....I ignore them!

thepenguin

as long as computers have ram, people are going to change the values in it  :(
We have become the creeper...

mszegedy

That's what I was thinking, but how would they know which ones? Energy etc. isn't that straightforward. Or perhaps score?

(I am aware that you can isolate RAM addresses based on value and changes in thereof)

UpperKEES

Well, I don't think we want to be discussing that here. Neither the programs to use, nor the way to do it. Cheaters are losers.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mszegedy

Oh, okay. I was just curious, as certain RAM values are easily protectable (one simple solution is to multiply it by a random number and divide it by the same random number when displaying and uploading, but this number gets recalculated every, say, 10 frames... I'm chock full of ideas...).

Kamron3

It's not just RAM you can edit, you can use something to capture packets sent to and from this website. One of them, when you submit a score, will contain the score submitting code.

Though this is just a theory. I've never personally tested it.

Echo51

Well, its easy cause some who hack thought it would be fun to make some public program that assisted in it, thereby bringing hacking to the masses... sad eh?

Eitherway, where theres highscores/leaderboards, there will most likely be hackers...
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

burguertime

I was always pretty amazed at how cheater-clear the highscores are. Virgil coded some security into the checksums the game uploads, but they are just zeroes and ones in internet packets.

But you just disregard these scores that seem impossible.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Beoir

Thanks for the heads up on that indicator for reasonable scores.

I have wondered how it is possible to finish the game in less time
than it takes to build two collectors.  >:(

Great game just a shame that the skill of the masters isn't
necessarily reflected in the high scores due to a few idiots

ps: It will be a long time before my name appears in the top 100   :-[
The early bird may get he worm! but
it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese