Map puzzle

Started by Karsten75, March 27, 2010, 05:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Here's a map I made to test out a theory.

What do *you* think is happening here (or might have happened)?

Answers on the back of a postcard, please!

Echo51

The creeper is advancing in a unequal line, which means the engine is flawed ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

mthw2vc

I have no postcard for you, but I can tell what you did. You effectively "turned off" (Adding emitters set to 0 intensity on top of the active emitters) the emitters right before the creep overflowed into the high ground, and the reason the creeper's advance is asymetrical is  because the emitters that are the source of the creeper are ever so slightly off center (They are centered 0.5 squares below the middle, but this makes a bigger difference than one might think).

Karsten75

Quote from: mthw2vc on March 27, 2010, 06:40:23 PM
I have no postcard for you, but I can tell what you did. You effectively "turned off" (Adding emitters set to 0 intensity on top of the active emitters) the emitters right before the creep overflowed into the high ground, and the reason the creeper's advance is asymetrical is  because the emitters that are the source of the creeper are ever so slightly off center (They are centered 0.5 squares below the middle, but this makes a bigger difference than one might think).

And we have a winner!

The emitter in the center of the cluster is a high-output emitter that flooded the lower plain. After 3 minutes, the 9 emitters surrounding it activated, and drained all the creep to the depth of the wall surrounding the creeper. There was a slight miscalculation in that the creeper had not entirely flooded the lower plain, hence the edge in the creeper.