Custom Map #132: Unexpected help

Started by AutoPost, August 31, 2011, 05:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #132: Unexpected help

Author: florrat

Desc:
You're in deep trouble here. The only weapons you can build are makers, but there's hardly any ore. How can you ever survive the creeper and the phantom waves?

florrat

This is a hard map where you have to use an unconventional strategy.

One tip: don't nullify the gateway too soon ;)

jkljkljkljkl

Wow, I'm completely stuck!!  ;D

I eventually get overwhelmed by bad creeper no matter what I do.

Kithros

Quote from: jkljkljkljkl on September 02, 2011, 12:49:43 PM

The gateway should be the last thing you kill.

florrat

Wow, I'm completely stuck!!  ;D

You indeed have to handle quickly. The amount of creeper the emitters make is 1.2M per second, and there's just 1M anticreeper coming per second (10 phantoms with 1M every 10 seconds). So you need to do everything you can to nullify one emitter quickly.

EDIT: There's now one score by SkiWV of just over 2 minutes. I'm puzzled how he has done that (if it was Kithros with that score, I wouldn't be nearly as much surprised :)).

Kithros

Quote from: florrat on September 02, 2011, 03:16:33 PM
Wow, I'm completely stuck!!  ;D

You indeed have to handle quickly. The amount of creeper the emitters make is 1.2M per second, and there's just 1M anticreeper coming per second (10 phantoms with 1M every 10 seconds). So you need to do everything you can to nullify one emitter quickly.

EDIT: There's now one score by SkiWV of just over 2 minutes. I'm puzzled how he has done that (if it was Kithros with that score, I wouldn't be nearly as much surprised :)).

I haven't actually played through the map, I just looked at it in the editor pretty much - as a guess I would say he probably vacuums all th anti-creeper quickly and then bursts it to nullify one emitter quickly - but again, I haven't really played the map so I couldn't say how effective that would be.

EDIT: Looking back, there's a reasonably high chance he is using some kind of bug - he has a time on the portal 2 ending map that's blatantly impossible to get playing normally (it is impossible to reach all the creeper until 8 minutes when fields teleport it, and he has a time under 2 minutes on it), so I wouldn't take any of his scores too seriously.

florrat

Quote from: Kithros on September 02, 2011, 04:09:47 PM
I haven't actually played through the map, I just looked at it in the editor pretty much - as a guess I would say he probably vacuums all th anti-creeper quickly and then bursts it to nullify one emitter quickly - but again, I haven't really played the map so I couldn't say how effective that would be.

EDIT: Looking back, there's a reasonably high chance he is using some kind of bug - he has a time on the portal 2 ending map that's blatantly impossible to get playing normally (it is impossible to reach all the creeper until 8 minutes when fields teleport it, and he has a time under 2 minutes on it), so I wouldn't take any of his scores too seriously.
I think the tactic you suggest is not very effective... You should play the map yourself  ;D

If he's cheating, it would explain his score... I already thought he might have been doing that, because 2 minutes on this map is also almost impossible...

jkljkljkljkl

Quote from: Kithros on September 02, 2011, 01:03:14 PM

The gateway should be the last thing you kill.

Yeah, I got that far :) 

ea3401

There are three fantastic maps from "florrat". This one needs some more scores.

SmileyCoder

I must say it, this is a truly devious map.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.