Map previews on the "Custom Maps" screen

Started by Timwi, February 16, 2010, 10:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timwi

The previews on the "Custom Maps" screen show only the map's terrain. They are missing the walls, emitters, and everything else. For some maps, that makes them hard to recognise, especially those where walls are the distinctive feature. It would be nice if the next version could render those previews completely.

While I'm at it, though, I also want to suggest that perhaps the rift position should NOT be shown in previews (including the images on the websites). It often obscures a significant part of the map, and quite frankly, the rift position is not very useful information (it has no effect on the gameplay).

Perhaps it would make sense to consolidate the code you use to generate previews so that the Custom Maps screen uses the exact same code as the website? This would have two benefits: the previews are completely consistent, and also it would allow you to have larger previews on the website, which could be displayed on the map's own page. (Currently the web previews are not very easy to read because they're so small.)

SPIFFEN

I agree that we should be abel to see more on the previews ,
but to see the rift might give some other options to complete the map ,
if they move the city around to do so ,
so i think it should be shown .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Timwi

Spiffen, your answer made no sense. The rift position has absolutely no bearing on the game whatsoever. Are you sure you've played this game before?

SPIFFEN

LOL , and you can prove that it doesnt matter =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Quote from: Timwi on February 16, 2010, 10:50:48 AM
The previews on the "Custom Maps" screen show only the map's terrain. They are missing the walls, emitters, and everything else. For some maps, that makes them hard to recognise, especially those where walls are the distinctive feature. It would be nice if the next version could render those previews completely.

While I'm at it, though, I also want to suggest that perhaps the rift position should NOT be shown in previews (including the images on the websites). It often obscures a significant part of the map, and quite frankly, the rift position is not very useful information (it has no effect on the gameplay).

Perhaps it would make sense to consolidate the code you use to generate previews so that the Custom Maps screen uses the exact same code as the website? This would have two benefits: the previews are completely consistent, and also it would allow you to have larger previews on the website, which could be displayed on the map's own page. (Currently the web previews are not very easy to read because they're so small.)

I see walls on some previews. Especially crazonium walls that are pink. I think it depends on when the map author cuts the thumbnail image of the map.