CW2 restart game script

Started by Michionlion, June 23, 2011, 01:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michionlion

well, most of this owes to this topic.  download the zip and extract it, then open the readme.  follow the instructions.  this program will also backup the cw2 directory to the folder it is run in.  (used some of the script from thepenguins script, here.)

ok, whatever.  it wasn't needed enough, and got some false positives on a virus scanner.  just to simplify, i used the del (directory of the cw2 folder in %appdata%)/*.dat /Q /S.  and before that i backed it up by putting thepeguins script with a modified end result.  i don't see what happened, but whatever.

I removed the attachment as per discussion with Virgil. Feel free to post source- or human-readable only. -G.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

I'd prefer if folks don't post exe's to the forum.  I'm sure this one is fine, but folks can accidentally have virus infected exes (they may not even know it) and pass it along here.  Scripts are borderline... but at least people can see what the script will do before they run it.  If you want to post the source for the exe (just not the exe itself) that is cool as well.

I don't want to squash creativity or interest in utilities like this, I just don't want an accidental issue to arise because I didn't do anything to stop it.

Michionlion

ok i'll try and convert it back to a .bat file or something.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MadMag

.bat files = more dangerous than a virus :)

Michionlion

- Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

While a .bat file can be dangerous, it is possible to visually inspect the file in an editor. That should give an experienced user some opportunity to establish what the file will do. For an inexperienced user, they can either post the source or try and Google th eindividual statements.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

Quote from: MadMag on June 23, 2011, 03:04:10 PM

.bat file can be used to delete system32
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Grauniad

Quote from: The Commander on June 23, 2011, 06:54:46 PM

So can a .exe file. That's not the issue here.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

Quote from: Grauniad on June 23, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
Quote from: The Commander on June 23, 2011, 06:54:46 PM

So can a .exe file. That's not the issue here.

Good point. Subject Dropped

DarthVader12

Not to burst your bubble but look at these virus scans.

1 - Jotti            5 out of 20 scanners reported malware.
2 - Virscan        16% Scanner(s) (6/37) found malware!
3 - VirusTotal    Result: 10/ 41 (24.4%)

Can post more scans if needed.

CobraKill

Quote from: DarthVader12 on June 24, 2011, 01:53:40 AM
Not to burst your bubble but look at these virus scans.

1 - Jotti            5 out of 20 scanners reported malware.
2 - Virscan        16% Scanner(s) (6/37) found malware!
3 - VirusTotal    Result: 10/ 41 (24.4%)

Virus Alert
Can post more scans if needed.

Only problem is the only virus scanner on there that was even remotely good was AVG. All the others are crap, and did I see win32!? Isn't that the system files!?

DarthVader12

Please don't bash antivirus programs.

CobraKill

Hey I'm just saying I don't like the other ones and some of the...erm... Directories or what ever there called looked kinda reiduculos, like you ha the virus and not the .exe

Echo51

You can never trust anti-virus, it just looks for the patterns of what a virus uses and then decides if it's unsafe or not. Either you trust the source, or you check the source.
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

CobraKill