Custom Map: Secret Labs Day 6

Started by AutoPost, January 25, 2011, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Secret Labs Day 6

Author: Link327

Desc:
Sixth Lab.
Starting here isn't so easy, but if you know how to its easy.
The emitters outside are setted to produce only once.
But it will be enough to break the walls at your base.
have fun

tpatana

I would kill to know how SM and MM completed the map  ???

I was bit overly caution, so I could have shaved couple of minutes by taking more risks, but 10 minutes no way in hell. Sub-20 seems unreachable with my strategy, so how can you make just barely over 10 minutes.

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: tpatana on January 26, 2011, 11:36:14 AM
I would kill to know how SM and MM completed the map  ???

I was bit overly caution, so I could have shaved couple of minutes by taking more risks, but 10 minutes no way in hell. Sub-20 seems unreachable with my strategy, so how can you make just barely over 10 minutes.

Your choice of upgrades makes a difference plus the right balance of building units and upgrades.

Spoiler
I was able to cap one of the emitters before it broke the walls. It may be possible to cap two, but I haven't tried that yet
[close]

tpatana

My strategy

For upgrades I took 10% more energy and 10% less to build. (like I almost always choose)

Starting from the base, I built: (numbers represent the short cut button, e.g. 1=collector, 5=reactor)

The last one is just before the first big intersection.

Also on both side tunnels that turn back, I put 61 to protect against the creep, although I can see I could have skipped that part. Ate my resources for almost no gain.

Then at the intersection I placed 6167 for both up and down the first creep tunnel, so the mid junction was protected by 3 blasters, up and down mortar and blasters to protect them. You can _just_ build all those when the walls will collapse.

I guess I should try capping 2 of the emitters, that would speed up really a lot.

[close]

snowmaker (JM)

My suggestion would be to build more collectors initially. Your energy collection will increase exponentially and it's cheaper (faster) and then later build the reactors that you will need.

tpatana

You're right, I was able to cap 2 emitters rather easy. Still I couldn't beat your time :( I lost ~30-40 seconds on the last emitter, as I underestimated the time it takes to connect the blaster who went to cap it, and I lost almost all of them. Almost failed the whole map due to that.

Usually when I feel there's not enough space, I use the 1551551551 -pattern, or if it's really limited, I go 155515551. Seems here you gain much more by speeding to cap the emitters, than building a strong foundation.

Link327

my tactic was: have fun^^
I built the mortar first, its needed, then the Creeper outside is blocked off. Then is one blaster enough to protect the base. So i built some more, cleared the area outside and built much reactors. Then I built ca 20 or 30 blasters, maybe double amounts(i hadnt count them)
I used my "clearing room" strategy: moving EVERY blaster in taht room and connected then.
so every single room until map finished^^
Link327