Custom Map: Quagmire Quest 1: The Golden Maze

Started by AutoPost, November 29, 2010, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kapoios on November 30, 2010, 07:13:07 PM
I have a new screenshot using only 24 out of 28.

Heheh! :D I like it how you can make a challenge out of everything! That's my kind of looking at things as well!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

Quote from: Kapoios on November 30, 2010, 07:13:07 PM
Quote from: UpperKEES on November 30, 2010, 06:50:34 PM
Oh, I must have lived with a very old number in my head. The initial version only had 21 and I created this map a while ago.... Will correct this in my previous posts, thanks! :)
I experimented a bit and it turns out I also found a way to defend that mid-right set of emitters with only 2 blasters. So, although not optimal at all for a highscore (you should probably use all your blasters for a good time, or at least leave only 1-2 in their homes so that they can serve as a kind of bridge between areas to make distances a bit smaller). I have a new screenshot using only 24 out of 28. This time, some of the extra 4 blasters I'm not using are not in their little homes, but sitting beside OC disarmed and deactivated. That's because I used them to do some shuffling more easily, but the situation is still reachable without ever removing them from their homes, since you could do that early when you still have plenty of them. Note that this time some creeper leaks near that area. However, it "evaporates" quickly enough not to damage any structures. Again, the situation is stable, since I let it run for ~10 minutes, while going to the store to get booze and back, and everything was alive and kicking when I returned!

Spoiler
You can connect those three totems from the end of the upper right path by moving the city, thus saving another 2 blasters.
[close]

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on December 01, 2010, 12:36:45 AM
You can connect those three totems from the end of the upper right path by moving the city, thus saving another 2 blasters.

Yep, I already wrote that here:

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 30, 2010, 10:53:36 AM
When you lost 3 or more blasters you can only complete the map by bridging, but as you all know I never require that to solve one of my maps. It was impossible to prevent it from being used (because I wanted the player to be able to move OC through the aisles), but I didn't care this time. If people like to solve it doing so that's fine with me. I didn't use it myself by the way....

If anyone can finish with just 25 of the 28 blasters without bridging I'm very much interested in a screenshot! I'm actually already interested in someone who finishes with just 26 (without bridging OC or destroying the blaster after connecting to the last totem; just leave it in its tower ;)).

Colin

Well I finally finished it! Thanks for another great map KEES!  ;D

I also lost a blaster somewhere in there when I wasn't looking, but
I was able to makeup for that mistake.  ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Colin on December 01, 2010, 01:57:55 AM
Well I finally finished it! Thanks for another great map KEES!  ;D

Thanks Colin, glad you liked it! :)

Quote from: Colin on December 01, 2010, 01:57:55 AM
I also lost a blaster somewhere in there when I wasn't looking, but
I was able to makeup for that mistake.  ;)

Well, the margin seems to be a blaster or three, so that should indeed work out fine.

Kapoios

Quote from: Sqaz on December 01, 2010, 12:36:45 AM
Spoiler
[close]
Yeah, I know, but I was going for the "no bridging allowed" sort of challenge/request for a screeshot by KEES. I wonder if those spoiler boxes work within quotes.

Edit: Indeed they do!

Kamron3

KEES, I absolutely love the look of this map. It's pretty amazing

UpperKEES

Thanks Kam! :)

I'm still experimenting with new graphics that enhance the looks of a map and still keep it playable. It's important to be able to see where the creeper is, where you can build or not and to be able to distinguish between the various terrain levels. The fact that you can't set the level tint for the new 0 and 6 terrain heights makes it a lot harder to create a custom background for it, as it unfortunately becomes impossible to apply custom shading.

Kharnellius

The beginning was the hardest to figure out but, once you got past that, it wasn't too bad.  I made one bad move when trying to cap the last creeper farm and I had to retreat a bit adding a solid 5 minutes of work.  Doh!

Good times.  On my slow ass computer, it took about 3 hours to finish even though my game time was something like 33 minutes.  Lol.  

Also, like the custom textures.  Good job, man.

BTW, people are awfully opinionated around here.  As a newer visitor, it is certainly a bit of a turn off.  Everyone needs to chill out and realize their opinion speaks only for themselves and stop acting like they were granted some God given right to tell people how to make their FREE CUSTOM maps.  Make your own if you don't like what is out there.  And for the record, I have no problem with spore waves. ;) :P  

(Also UpperKEES always posts whether there are any in his map.  Why would you waste people's time posting if you knew it had them to start with?)

Sqaz

Quote from: Kharnellius on December 01, 2010, 02:48:05 PM
BTW, people are awfully opinionated around here.  As a newer visitor, it is certainly a bit of a turn off.  Everyone needs to chill out and realize their opinion speaks only for themselves and stop acting like they were granted some God given right to tell people how to make their FREE CUSTOM maps.  Make your own if you don't like what is out there.  And for the record, I have no problem with spore waves. ;) :P  

Nothing offensive here, but I really thought the comments on a map where meant to tell whether you like the map or not, and spores are a part of that criteria. If someone can't say his opinion because the map says that it's in there I think you take away a part of our freedom of speech. I could for example make a map, write in the description that it's awfull, and yell at everyone that they are awfully opinionated because I clearly said that my map was bad, so why do they think they're allowed to complain.

Please don't understand me wrong, but if there are things that someone doesn't like about a map he should say so, and thus letting the map maker know that that type of gameplay doesn't please him. This is not because he thinks he's granted a god given right to tell people how to make their maps, but a help for the map-creator, cause if many people say so, it might be a good idea to make that element less present in his map.

And I must honestly say you are a bit hypocrite yourself, just because you don't mind the spores doesn't mean noone is allowed to find them frustrating.

Make your own if you don't like what is out there.

Everyone that complained has already made some Custom Maps, but if you go for a dinner at Kees' exquisite Map Restaurant, you expect quality, and even though the quality of this map is higher than most (99%) of the Custom Maps I expected more (or actually less  ;)), but this still keeps him the best CW map maker the world has ever known, this just shows that everyone can make mistakes (even if it are just little ones that some people don't see as mistakes).

UpperKEES

The beginning was the hardest to figure out but, once you got past that, it wasn't too bad.  I made one bad move when trying to cap the last creeper farm and I had to retreat a bit adding a solid 5 minutes of work.  Doh!

Good times.  On my slow ass computer, it took about 3 hours to finish even though my game time was something like 33 minutes.  Lol.  

Yep, that path finding algorithm indeed slows down the game a lot. With a dense network with lots of interconnections like you will probably build for this map this becomes very noticeable. This is not due to the amount of units! When you would build the same amount on a map with less connections between them, you would be able to play much faster. Kapoios tested this and when you would build less collectors (that connect to anything), but instead would build collector - reactor - collector or collector - speed - collector, you would experience a more than double increase of game speed! I think this is the main reason Virgil stepped away from this for CW2.

Also, like the custom textures.  Good job, man.

Thanks Kharnellius! :)

(Also UpperKEES always posts whether there are any in his map.  Why would you waste people's time posting if you knew it had them to start with?)

Yes, people are. I don't mind some constructive criticism however, especially when it comes from experienced map makers. I'm never too old to learn.

When it comes to taste however, we could discuss endlessly without ever agreeing. I know what most people think of spores and that's why I only include them when they really add something (in my opinion) and try to limit the amount of them.

This is exactly why I warned you for your first map. Not to teach you a lesson, but to prevent you from being disappointed about the comments after a lot of hard work. I think some people (and you will quickly learn their names) tend to only comment on negative things. When they did like a map, they don't even take the effort to post a compliment or a brief thank you. Something you maybe can expect from a 12 year old, but in fact it's often older players doing so! You'll get used to it however and will realize the same thing happens all over the internet. People often seem a little less tactful when typing their comments than when they would give their opinion face to face in real life.

Quote from: Sqaz on December 01, 2010, 04:07:39 PM
Nothing offensive here, but I really thought the comments on a map where meant to tell whether you like the map or not, and spores are a part of that criteria. If someone can't say his opinion because the map says that it's in there I think you take away a part of our freedom of speech. I could for example make a map, write in the description that it's awfull, and yell at everyone that they are awfully opinionated because I clearly said that my map was bad, so why do they think they're allowed to complain.

Please don't understand me wrong, but if there are things that someone doesn't like about a map he should say so, and thus letting the map maker know that that type of gameplay doesn't please him. This is not because he thinks he's granted a god given right to tell people how to make their maps, but a help for the map-creator, cause if many people say so, it might be a good idea to make that element less present in his map.

And I must honestly say you are a bit hypocrite yourself, just because you don't mind the spores doesn't mean noone is allowed to find them frustrating.

Sqaz, you are a bit offensive. Didn't sleep well? :P I think you are also a bit stubborn. Not because of your opinion, but because you don't seem to realize that some things are a matter of taste. You can state your opinion once and then it's clear to anyone, but I get more and more the impression that you are entirely missing the point. It seems I have to repeat the same things over and over and I don't like that. Why play a map that contains spores, when you know it does and you don't like them? Play it and don't complain, or just skip the map. It's that easy.

Taste can not be forced onto anyone. Some people like puzzles, other don't. Some people like long intense fights, others rather finish in 5 minutes. There is no wrong and there is no right here. Both are good!

Quote from: Sqaz on December 01, 2010, 04:07:39 PM
Everyone that complained has already made some Custom Maps, but if you go for a dinner at Kees' exquisite Map Restaurant, you expect quality, and even though the quality of this map is higher than most (99%) of the Custom Maps I expected more (or actually less  ;)), but this still keeps him the best CW map maker the world has ever known, this just shows that everyone can make mistakes (even if it are just little ones that some people don't see as mistakes).

The funny thing is that this map indeed contains a mistake. The mistake is that it is too easy to my likings. I should have offered at least 1, but probably 2 blasters less, making the puzzle element more important. Or limit the amount of energy, which would force the player to think more about the 'capping' instead of just adding some more reactors and finish 2-3 minutes later. One of the things I'm very happy with, are the spores! ;)

When is something a mistake? When a map does not turn out as the map maker himself intended! When my map works out exactly as I like, I don't care what any other person says about it!

Please realize your opinion is just your opinion. One out of almost 7 billion people! It's not very important and neither is mine, especially when it comes to taste. Let's be happy that tastes vary so much; this makes the (Creeper) World a lot more colourful! :)

fraterpotens

Hi all,

I started this map then ran out of time and had to quit.  I wanted one hint but did not want to read the thread and get all the spoilers.
What I want to know is do you need to leave one or more blasters in their original positions as relays.  I was working on getting the city tot he center with at least blaster/relays nearby still in their little divots, but not sure if I am making things unnecessaraly hard for myself.

on the ohter hand I dont want to pull all the blasters out and then find out 30 min later that I cant seem to finish the map because packet routing is too slow.

hint please! ;D

UpperKEES

Nope, you don't need to leave them in their towers to finish, although it may be convenient to do so at the start of the map to obtain the first upgrade quicker and unlock some more blasters.

Tip: once the game slows down considerably, you can just keep playing at double speed!

fraterpotens

thanks for the help Mr. Kees.
I always get a smile on my face when you release a new map
even if I can't seem to beat some of them
(@%#&@& xrays)

UpperKEES

Quote from: fraterpotens on December 01, 2010, 09:13:39 PM
thanks for the help Mr. Kees.

You're welcome. :)

Spoiler
By the way: moving Odin City closer to the frontline (where most of your blasters will be) will also speed up the game, as the packets will have to travel less and calculate their route less often.
[close]

I always get a smile on my face when you release a new map

I assume that's a positive thing.... ;)

even if I can't seem to beat some of them
(@%#&@& xrays)

Yeah, X-Ray Visor is a pretty weird and tough one. Don't hesitate to ask for a few hints in the comments of that map as well if you like. :)