Custom Map: How Long Can You Go?

Started by AutoPost, November 12, 2010, 02:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: How Long Can You Go?

Author: Matt

Desc:
A completely different way to play the game. The goal of this map is to post the LONGEST time. Anyone could finish in a few seconds, but can you last 5 minutes? Can you last 10?

Remember, you still have to activate the single totem to post a score, so don't wait too long!

Karsten75

Here's the problem: Once you have posted a time, you can't ever post a longer time. So even if, by your metric, you "improve" your time, you can't post it.

Edit: OK, I'm bored now. Can I stop? 17:23 and no danger of being overrun by creeper yet.

Matt

Ahh you're right about posting times. I hadn't considered that.

As for your time, that's better than I expected people to do. There are some hardcore spore waves coming pretty soon that would challenge you, but yeah, you seem to have the emitted creeper well under control.

Still might be a different style for people to try. Too bad about the high score chart, I hadn't thought of that.

burguertime

Actually this map can be played forever.

There is one thing with the thickness 1 elevation walls, is that when the creeper overflows it, blasters right behind it will fire, and their splash damage will hit the creeper on the other side of the walls. So on this map you can stuff the lower corridors with blasters, and the creeper never overflows it.

Then you just have to get your energy to a sustainable level, and make enough SAMs to kill the 30 spore wave. In the end i deleted all the mortars and drones to make room for more sam and reactors.

adn then i got bored and turned on the green bulb
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Matt

Yeah, this was sort of a concept map, and I can see that I didn't pull it off. I may take another crack at it, applying the lessons learned here. I still think it could be an interesting way to play the game. I just need to make a better map for that purpose.

Karsten75

Quote from: Matt on November 14, 2010, 02:19:33 AM
Yeah, this was sort of a concept map, and I can see that I didn't pull it off. I may take another crack at it, applying the lessons learned here. I still think it could be an interesting way to play the game. I just need to make a better map for that purpose.

Actually, it is not a viable idea. Firstly there is the problem with no-one being able to post an inversely better score since the web site only records the shortest score as the best score. So it is a one-shot deal.

Then, as you have already seen, unless you continuously jack up the emitter strength, either everybody gets overrun by creeper at more or less the same time, or one can get to a stable-steady-state position where you just let it run, hammering the creeper indefinitely. Then it is a matter of how long (how many days) you don't need your computer to do anything else.