Custom Map: Hard Art 3: Color Planes

Started by AutoPost, July 29, 2010, 11:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: NNR_Alex on July 30, 2010, 06:30:25 PM
Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 30, 2010, 05:00:02 PM
I really liked the scenario with the variable emitters! You really do have to be aggressive if you want it to be easier towards the end. I always have to be careful with the blue square north of OC if you run low on energy. Again, loved your map  :)
ugh, yeah that square and a little later (or not if things are capped, i'm not sure) the west square as well.  I was having gravedigger flashbacks when i saw the creeper inching onto my red square.

still those upperkees i really do like this map, it's one i don't feel really intemidated by, because you can hold your starting spot for a long time, it's expanding outward that can be tricky.  I dunno if i can keep the greys contained but I bet i can stop a few reds from ever starting.

That is a key (stopping the reds), I played too conservative the first time I played and had to deal with everything... not fun! The second time I got a 1 or 2 more blasters towards the start. That made a difference.

Miss Melissa

very interesting concept. managed to save all but two red squares in time, so it wasnt that bad for me. had a few restarts of course, but overall it was a pretty good map. thanks again!

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on July 30, 2010, 04:50:31 PM
ok the good news, i beat it on my first try, the bad news, well look at my score (if i improve my time anytime soon then it'll go down of course but right now it's around 93 minutes).  

Sounds like more fun for the same amount of money. ;) (Yeah, I'm Dutch.... ;D)

I don't think i could do a worse job at this so that's the good part, and i think if i can cap (or semi cap) one of those blue squares by odin city, namely the one north of it, at the start, that'll help keep some of the reds from ever going off.  

Spoiler

Although I concentrate on protecting the walls and still collect some energy during the first minutes, I do cap that blue emitter to the north. I just need the space....
[close]

It looks like there are 3 emmitters that never activate, two reds (one i might have actually saved but i doubt it) and one grey that i didn't even notice never got started till i'd cleared away all the creeper around it.

Correct. This is because I decided to make the map easier. Initially the red emitters had to be saved for 10 minutes and their intensity was set to 10. The blue emitters were also a little stronger. In these last 2 minutes every red emitter could go off; I just left them in to give every colored plane the same characteristics.

Anyways it feels good to beat one of your maps again after so long and this is like 'the teacher' to me, most people can beat it, but there's usually room for improvement.

:) I'm sure the next few maps will also be possible for most people. HA-5 will be based on your painting (but I'm still working on it, so I hope it will be finished in time).

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 30, 2010, 05:00:02 PM
I really liked the scenario with the variable emitters! You really do have to be aggressive if you want it to be easier towards the end. I always have to be careful with the blue square north of OC if you run low on energy. Again, loved your map  :)

Thanks!

Spoiler
Flying around a few weapons can indeed make a difference....
[close]

ugh, yeah that square and a little later (or not if things are capped, i'm not sure) the west square as well.  I was having gravedigger flashbacks when i saw the creeper inching onto my red square.

Spoiler
That blue one to the left is more tricky because your blaster will get distracted easily. I often put an additional one there to be safe.
[close]

still those upperkees i really do like this map, it's one i don't feel really intemidated by, because you can hold your starting spot for a long time, it's expanding outward that can be tricky.  I dunno if i can keep the greys contained but I bet i can stop a few reds from ever starting.

Spoiler
The greys are easier to save (although you need to keep doing this for the entire game). A mortar is most useful for this (as you only need to prevent the creeper levels from rising above elevation level 4).
[close]

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 30, 2010, 06:57:09 PM
That is a key (stopping the reds), I played too conservative the first time I played and had to deal with everything... not fun! The second time I got a 1 or 2 more blasters towards the start. That made a difference.

Yes, I think so too. The reds can potentially flood the complete map, while the greys will only fill it up to level 4, but at a much faster rate.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 31, 2010, 02:10:51 AM
very interesting concept. managed to save all but two red squares in time, so it wasnt that bad for me. had a few restarts of course, but overall it was a pretty good map. thanks again!

So did I. I don't think you can even save the other two, because they're just too close to the blue ones. Thank you as well. :)

I have the impression that most people like the concept, so I might make another map with it. This time I had the restriction of the original painting, which made it harder for me to place the emitters at the 'perfect' distance of each other. Next time I'll create a dedicated terrain for it, but this will be after the Hard Art series.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RichieRich

Fun map and so many ways to go.

Played it a few times and found moving OC at the start suited me best.

Interesting emitters but found the first time I finished it, the 2 drones I built to keep reds dry didnt work for me on a cost/benefit analysis as I was continually distracted. The last time I finished (3rd, not 2nd as I deleted the map by mistake) I built only blasters apart from 2 mortars to help move through the deep pools nearing the end.

Thanks as always.

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on August 01, 2010, 08:14:12 AM
Played it a few times and found moving OC at the start suited me best.

Oh, you moved OC? I really wonder where, because I figured the central starting position would be rather good.

Quote from: RichieRich on August 01, 2010, 08:14:12 AM
Interesting emitters but found the first time I finished it, the 2 drones I built to keep reds dry didnt work for me on a cost/benefit analysis as I was continually distracted. The last time I finished (3rd, not 2nd as I deleted the map by mistake) I built only blasters apart from 2 mortars to help move through the deep pools nearing the end.

Spoiler
Yep, the drones will cost a lot of energy (to build and to fuel) and they'll waste most of it because the pools don't fill up that fast.
[close]

Spoiler
For a review/walkthrough by Mare, see here.
[close]

RichieRich

There was really only one place to go  ;D

UpperKEES

Hmmm, I never even considered that and I am actually surprised by your completion time as you have to cross most of the map from that corner. Didn't you have a lot of pre-capped emitters going off on the left side?

RichieRich

I actually found it pretty straightforward to go across with blasters. I found with moving OC I was able to close out the right side with just a few blasters (7 I think). This gave enough space to build power and speed very quickly without creating any deficit.

Lots of pausing to build blasters and reactors but essentially moving across the top and then down.

DethbyIT

Another very enjoyable map - on my list of those to try again.

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on August 10, 2010, 10:12:13 AM
I actually found it pretty straightforward to go across with blasters. I found with moving OC I was able to close out the right side with just a few blasters (7 I think). This gave enough space to build power and speed very quickly without creating any deficit.

Lots of pausing to build blasters and reactors but essentially moving across the top and then down.

Always nice to see a different approach!

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 12, 2010, 04:47:04 AM
Another very enjoyable map - on my list of those to try again.

Thanks dbit! :) This is another map that you most likely will be able to improve your time for by a lot.