Custom Map #2650: PAC Prototesting. By: Vertu

Started by AutoPost, December 13, 2021, 05:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2650: PAC Prototesting

Author: Vertu
Size: 192x120

GadgetBoy

Feels like you're starting to work in a nice balance between difficulty and entertainment. I like the reskinned PAC units, too.

There did seem to be a bug with the forge, though. When I placed it, I had 400 power in a few seconds.

ikkonoishi

Vertu

Quote from: GadgetBoy on December 13, 2021, 07:35:56 PM
Feels like you're starting to work in a nice balance between difficulty and entertainment. I like the reskinned PAC units, too.

There did seem to be a bug with the forge, though. When I placed it, I had 400 power in a few seconds.

I would love to know how you managed that. Sounds like an overflow problem as it's progress is capped to absorbing 100 Creeper a second. So what ever happened was it literally breaking. Like, I can't express it... DA DUN BOOOOM kind of breaking. Where the code just dies. So if you or anyone else encounters this, please give as much detail as to what might of caused it.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

reddwarf12

Fun map!  The stashes didn't work for me (as is the case more often than not in recent PAC maps), but it's ok - the Burster is super satisfying.

I got all the totems but one to activate, so I couldn't get the optional completion requirement. The whole map was under 20 feet of creeper, and I built mesh to the last remaining totem, but it just sat there. Only got 23 out of 24, with no idea what I did to get the first 23 and so no idea how to get that last one.

Toward the end I had like four bursters lined up against their last hill, and with a few well placed crimsons, it was very satisfying to sit back and watch.

Vertu

The totem objective is proof for if you go down the challenge route, picking to bring out the Fighters. It's something I have been doing a lot lately. An optional side. Also I fail to see how the stashes are broken, they worked fine for me. I hate to ask, but did you place the stash itself down after placing the unit?... You may of thought they were like the normal PAC stash unit and didn't check it's UI.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

ha11oga11o

wfo92gt

Quote from: Vertu on December 13, 2021, 09:07:20 PM
Quote from: GadgetBoy on December 13, 2021, 07:35:56 PM

I would love to know how you managed that. Sounds like an overflow problem as it's progress is capped to absorbing 100 Creeper a second. So what ever happened was it literally breaking. Like, I can't express it... DA DUN BOOOOM kind of breaking. Where the code just dies. So if you or anyone else encounters this, please give as much detail as to what might of caused it.

I had the opposite happen. I placed my forge badly, up against the edge of the map, and it wasn't absorbing well. So I deleted it and moved it. When that new forge got to 100%, I immediately lost 5 power units. With the forge in its new home, it didn't take long to recoup, so it just resulted in a 5 maybe 10 minute delay overall. I really liked this map!

Vertu

Quote from: wfo92gt on December 15, 2021, 04:05:25 PM
I had the opposite happen. I placed my forge badly, up against the edge of the map, and it wasn't absorbing well. So I deleted it and moved it. When that new forge got to 100%, I immediately lost 5 power units. With the forge in its new home, it didn't take long to recoup, so it just resulted in a 5 maybe 10 minute delay overall. I really liked this map!
I think I know what happened as I have seen it happen after recompiling scripts in it's development. When the forge gives ERNs, it adds them to the modifier variable, if that script is reloaded by being destroyed and rebuilt then that modifier variable is reset, making you loose power as the forge is no longer providing that power as it's a newly built one. This means you can't have more than 1 forge as they will fight to modify that same variable and you can't reposition it.

Thank you for this insight I will be sure to get on it when making my next PAC map.

Mr$Hyper$

Arsoluna

I have four specific gripes about this map: three fighters and the reactor fighter. I had seven missile launchers doing my best to manually target them down with holding fire and chain firing. For an hour. I was unable to kill even one of them. They were all attacking the armored lure, so they were within range and they were the closest units to the missile towers. Each salvo would connect with at most 2/7, usually 1/7 of the missiles. Then, once I got the big fighter down to 3 bars... it just ran away after getting hit once. Then it would heal up and come back, get hit once, and run away. The big one would typically take 3-4 hits because it was sitting still while firing, but after it hit a certain "low health" threshold, it ran away and the other 3-4 missiles would guaranteed miss. The small ones were even worse. Thanks to their small, erratic movements while firing, of the seven missiles I was launching, I was lucky if even one missile hit. I got extremely bored of watching the missiles fly around and re-attack the target, only to realize that the missile would never hit because the turning radius was far, far too wide to even have a prayer of hitting. My best and only chance was to wait for it to go "low ammo", fire, and hope the missiles would chase it out of the right side of the map back to the Rift Lab. Then the missiles hit the shields and did no damage.

I ended up finishing the map out of sheer boredom by simply selling all the missiles, replacing them with 21 launchers with skimmers, and just dead-braining it to the end.

Not one fighter died. Even at the end.