Custom Map #2382: Custom Testing World. By: Fey-Yell

Started by AutoPost, September 29, 2021, 07:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2382: Custom Testing World

Author: Fey-Yell
Size: 512x128

CS Z

Putting every single custom unit you can find into a single map isn't a great idea.  This map takes a while to load because of all of the CPACKs and by the end it gets down to a painful 7 frames per sec.

Some of the units are also completely useless (e.g. Munchkins require a nearby Bluite/Redon/Greenar node).  And then there are a bunch of ERN makers to choose from.  And then there's Dorothy + Instant + any of the ERN Makers + Teleport + Rocket cheese.

Fey-Yell

Sure. It is laggy. Sure there are ways and means to cheese it. So, maybe a lot of mods was a bad idea. However, I thought people might appreciate a ready-made place to find already made custom units. I understand though, that I might be selling it as "slow" and  "difficult" and it might be more "difficult and slow to load", rather than "difficult to win", and that might discourage people from playing it.

Karsten75

Quote from: Fey-Yell on September 30, 2021, 12:43:58 AM
I thought people might appreciate a ready-made place to find already made custom units.

Not wanting to pile on, but just how do you think people will know about this map? In a short while it'll move off the front page, and can you readily identify a map about 5 pages back?

Also, as a proportion of the player base, how many do you think will be looking for a map like this?

In the end, if it's not a fun, playable map, it's just clutter and not really useful in Colonial space.