Custom Map #2380: [RUSH] [TUTORIAL] Training Day. By: CS Z

Started by AutoPost, September 29, 2021, 02:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2380: [RUSH] [TUTORIAL] Training Day

Author: CS Z
Size: 128x80

CS Z

This is a little walkthrough/tutorial mission map that covers all of the RUSH mode units.  Hopefully this will help improve delicious cheese skills.

That 2:15 hold time was fine at first but then I got a lot better.  There's still plenty of room for optimization and improvement over the times I posted.

This map also fixes a bug with the Leveler unit where Tower connectivity got a bit weird on leveled terrain.

hbarudi

What is this landfill unit and what does it do? It seems to try to build around the island, but I built many and it just did absolutely nothing at all. Map is broken because of it and best to "rush" nullify the phantoms before it puts creeper on the hold base.

CS Z

Quote from: hbarudi on October 10, 2021, 02:56:37 PM
What is this landfill unit and what does it do? It seems to try to build around the island, but I built many and it just did absolutely nothing at all. Map is broken because of it and best to "rush" nullify the phantoms before it puts creeper on the hold base.

The map is beatable as-is and requires using all five of the units in the Custom tab to win.  The main goal of this tutorial is to teach players to get comfortable with chaining a variety of combos together, primarily by leveraging the powerful and very versatile Instant unit.  If you can beat this map in about 3 minutes, then you've got a pretty good mastery of the RUSH mode units and the other RUSH mode maps will be a lot more enjoyable.  RUSH mode maps are designed to be beatable in under 10 minutes of game clock time.

The Landfill unit fills void with terrain.  Landfill is built primarily by Instant units that are in range.  The tutorial detects when sufficient void has been filled.  At that point, the tutorial guides the player to move the second Microrift to collect the Info Cache, which unlocks Rockets.  There are later RUSH mode maps that depend on using the Landfill + Instant combo to rapidly complete them, so you should try to get comfortable using that combo.

I'm not sure how you can nullify the spore launcher without collecting the info cache.  The spore launcher is buried in creeper to encourage following the intended order.  It is technically possible to collect the info cache with the rift lab but I recommend learning how to use the Landfill + Instant combo.