Freeplay Mode?

Started by zackron, January 10, 2010, 03:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackron

In the game credits, it showed a 'free play' mode which seemed to have 100 different levels to it

I'm sure that 25 of those levels probably went to the conquest mode, and 10 to the special ops mode, but what happened to all the rest?  I beat everything so that I have supreme victory, I figured that might onlock it, but it didn't.  Am I missing something?

Aurzel

btw now that someone brought something like this up, i seem to recall several screenshots of the campaign maps with more than the 20 missions

knucracker

Somebody finally noticed and mentioned this :)
I was wondering at what point someone would mention this little 'egg' left in the credits screen shots.

This was a screen I had mid way through development.  It was when I developed the infini-map generator code.  I just generated 100 maps and would use them for 'random' testing in the later stages of development. 

I had thought about releasing the infini-map generator in a major update to the game, but it looks like I may not do that now.  I may just hand craft another 20 missions, add some new units, and release that as an expansion pack.  I might decide to throw the infini-map generator with the expansion, though.... not decided.  If I do, I would market the expansion as "includes over 2 billion new maps!"  :)

Kamron3

Quote from: virgilw on January 10, 2010, 11:10:27 AM
Somebody finally noticed and mentioned this :)
I was wondering at what point someone would mention this little 'egg' left in the credits screen shots.

This was a screen I had mid way through development.  It was when I developed the infini-map generator code.  I just generated 100 maps and would use them for 'random' testing in the later stages of development. 

I had thought about releasing the infini-map generator in a major update to the game, but it looks like I may not do that now.  I may just hand craft another 20 missions, add some new units, and release that as an expansion pack.  I might decide to throw the infini-map generator with the expansion, though.... not decided.  If I do, I would market the expansion as "includes over 2 billion new maps!"  :)

Better marketing scheme:
includes OVER 9000 new maps!

_k

nic nac

As long as I don't have to play on crappy maps that don't have enough terraces to let me build in freedom before the creeper knawls on odin's bones...

I find it funny that you are heavily inspired by norsk mythology.
logical S... means big S... - me

Aurzel

so what about the 25 maps in story mode screenshot i've seen?

Kamron3

That's actually like 100, unless you are talking about something different...

_k

Karsten75

Quote from: nic nac on January 10, 2010, 02:53:22 PM
As long as I don't have to play on crappy maps that don't have enough terraces to let me build in freedom before the creeper knawls on odin's bones...

I find it funny that you are heavily inspired by norsk mythology.

If all the maps offered you a large area that you could build on, then the challenges are siminished. part of the "fun" is to figure out a strategy to cope on difficult terrain.

Have you played much of the game?

Aurzel

tlking about something diff kam, i've seen a screenshot of the story mode map but with an additional 5, i cant remember where is saw it but i'll try to find it again

edit: sorry there's 10 extra not 5 its in the credits, and i'm sure i've seen it somewhere else

knucracker

Yep... you'll notice that only the first few have names above the planets.  The others are just numbers.  This screen shot was made before I knew how many story missions there would be.  So, I just put a bunch of world on that screen and then started making the story worlds one at a time (which took many weeks believe it or not).

nic nac

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 11, 2010, 10:45:10 AM
If all the maps offered you a large area that you could build on, then the challenges are siminished. part of the "fun" is to figure out a strategy to cope on difficult terrain.

I played the demo on Kongregate like 100 times, still have the offline demo lying about and I am currently creeping through conquest.
The point is, there are some maps where you cant really build up some force. I dislike that.
logical S... means big S... - me

Kamron3

Quote from: nic nac on January 11, 2010, 08:04:45 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on January 11, 2010, 10:45:10 AM

I played the demo on Kongregate like 100 times, still have the offline demo lying about and I am currently creeping through conquest.
The point is, there are some maps where you cant really build up some force. I dislike that.

Those are the best ones :)

_k

Aurzel

with plenty of room comes less challenge :P

Kamron3

Unless those Spores and Creeper emitters are hellish. I like maps with hard spores and hard emitters, but also maps you have to use strategy moreso than Blasters to win.

_k

jem

and when does the expansion comes? and have we to pay again for it or will it be a patch for the game?
remember to play my maps. maps from the player jem! http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=jem