Custom Map #1200: PACursor 2: Bunker Buster. By: Heritor

Started by AutoPost, March 30, 2021, 03:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1200: PACursor 2: Bunker Buster

Author: Heritor
Size: 320x200

delfiler

great map but the mesh, seems to have reverted to the older version of having to place 'structures' but that doesn't work either

heritor

Quote from: delfiler on March 30, 2021, 05:07:45 AM
great map but the mesh, seems to have reverted to the older version of having to place 'structures' but that doesn't work either

:-[
Nope, that's 100% a screwup - I didn't test out mesh and forgot to place the meshcontroller which enables it to work.
Pro wrestler, graphic designer, video editor, programmer, cat daddy, game designer - I'm more caffeine than man.

delfiler

Quote from: heritor on March 30, 2021, 05:22:12 AM

:-[
Nope, that's 100% a screwup - I didn't test out mesh and forgot to place the meshcontroller which enables it to work.

can happen hope it gets fixed soon then

Shatterstep

I like how resources were split out so you could resource starve the AI. Very clever. Well done.

fraterpotens

More great work with this map!

I would put in a vote against the "cursor" mod

I find it quite constraining, I would like to be flying around the map seeing how my  various plans are doing, and instead I am stuck hovering my cursor over whatever spot I want to add creeper and can only build or check on other progress by pausing or by accepting that I am losing out on one of my most powerful tools....

Malignantmind

I for the life of me cannot overtake the large area in the southern middle. The amount of AC buildup there combined with how fast the AI reacts to everything is making it impossible to overrun.

Shatterstep

Quote from: fraterpotens on March 31, 2021, 10:31:22 AM
I would put in a vote against the "cursor" mod

My opinion is the cursor makes things much nicer and helps the map be more engaging. Love the cursor, feels more complete with it added.

Jican

Quote from: Malignantmind on March 31, 2021, 04:54:39 PM
I for the life of me cannot overtake the large area in the southern middle. The amount of AC buildup there combined with how fast the AI reacts to everything is making it impossible to overrun.

I'm in the same boat. There needs to be a hard limit to the amount of buildings the AI is allowed to build. With the constrained amount of ERNs available, the reaction speed of the AI, and the massive amount of AC and places that make it, it seems like a slog more than it's fun. I'm going to keep trying, but if I past a certain amount of time with little to no change, I'm going to quit and move on to maps that are more fun for me.

Durikkan

I don't think this is the intended strategy, but it is possible to attack the upper left corner relatively early, (with two or three spore launchers to create creeper over there) which shuts down the majority of the income for the AI, if you manage that and shut down the rift by the solars after taking taking one of the ultra-capacitor rooms, the enemy income will drop to 1, allowing you to clean up the rest of the map with ease. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Vyce223

Quote from: Jican on March 31, 2021, 06:18:49 PM

I'm in the same boat. There needs to be a hard limit to the amount of buildings the AI is allowed to build. With the constrained amount of ERNs available, the reaction speed of the AI, and the massive amount of AC and places that make it, it seems like a slog more than it's fun. I'm going to keep trying, but if I past a certain amount of time with little to no change, I'm going to quit and move on to maps that are more fun for me.

I got stuck on this myself then rage quit :\

Malignantmind

Quote from: Vyce223 on March 31, 2021, 07:45:13 PM
Quote from: Jican on March 31, 2021, 06:18:49 PM

I got stuck on this myself then rage quit :\

So, I figured it out. First thing: The chamber on the bottom right should be your number one priority. If you let the sprayer in there gather up too much AC, it'll release a flood that will make it impossible to gain control of that area, leaving you with a constant flow of AC nipping at your heels.

Secondly, and this ties into the first one in how to take it, crimson is your best weapon on this one. Generally I don't bother using it much, especially on the cursor maps. But here it is absolutely needed. Your frontlines should be crimson as much as possible. In a few cases, it'll be the only way you can push forward. (that annoying middle room, for instance).

Third, keep your emitters as far back from the front lines as you can, while still keeping them in relevant areas, and keep moving them up, but keep them behind the crimson. For that middle room, I found if you stick four emitters on the southern end of that long hallway, and then just leapfrog two crimson structures down the two smaller halls, you can fairly easily take that large room. Your priority should be cutting the supply line coming from the north west and south west entrances, and then targeting any micro rifts that might get built in there. Once you can get a steady stream of creeper into that room and to the north west corner, move your northern crimson structure to that corner to create a buffer (they almost act as shields in a way) so that the AC can't get back in there.

By keeping your emitters further from the front lines, I found the AI isn't quite as aggressive. 

heritor

This map in particular hinges heavily on building up a good amount of creeper to power your cursor (another thing I should have noted - Cursor is powered by the amount of creeper present on the map - the more you have, the stronger it is), and I've also added a few little surprises to help people along the way (check under the solar panels on the bottom-right, and there's a way to knock the rift labs' mrift fairly early on with a combined use of blobs and Cursor).

I'll upload my playthrough a bit later on, if that helps.
Pro wrestler, graphic designer, video editor, programmer, cat daddy, game designer - I'm more caffeine than man.

Jerle

For anyone having trouble with this one anywhere you point your mouse creep will grow as long as there is some present.
The fastest/eazy way is zip down top most path with a few emitters behind you.  When you get into the room put all 6 emitters down right where you enter then push as hard as you can to the timed door top left.  Once you get to the door replace all 6 emitters next to the door and while you wait for it to come down work backwards.  Wipe out all the batteries first to severely put the AI into a deficit then back to the second room to take out the solars and just forget about the first room for now.  Once the door is down push to the second set of timed doors.  You can put a Launcher down and blob the rift in the first room to help if your not cheesing it and emitters to build up supply while waiting on doors.  When the doors come down work to the top left as soon as you can to halt the anti creep then clear the room.  This is the point where you can just cheese it or go for how it was meant to be played.  To cheese it put down 6 launchers at top of room right next to lower left sniper in base room and make sure you have them firing at the same time.  It takes 2 volleys but 1 will hit and just move it over to base.  If your not cheesing it emitter up at the hallway and one next to the bluite room then work down the hall.  Push past the door leading to the redon and get to the north and south doors leaving a few emitters next to each then work on the bluite/redon rooms.  The rest is easy just drop a few stashes in the blue room for a cpl pushes then all emitters next to front line as you head to base.