Custom Map #8733: Warm archipilago. By: TrickyCorp

Started by AutoPost, August 06, 2020, 04:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8733: Warm archipilago

Author: TrickyCorp
Size: 150x75

Desc:
IMPORTANT: READ ALL MESSAGES!!! This is a nice and calm group of islands... Except the vulcano decided your cursor is basicly an emitter. If you move the cursor out of the map to prevent creeper from being created, you instantly fail the mission for trying that. Good luck and Have fun! #Levelception #Vulcano #Islands #Series #Spores #NoDigitalis #CRPL #NoAC #NoForge #Cursor

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: AutoPost on August 06, 2020, 04:26:01 AM
This topic is for discussion of map #8733: Warm archipilago

Author: TrickyCorp
Size: 150x75

Desc:
IMPORTANT: READ ALL MESSAGES!!! This is a nice and calm group of islands... Except the vulcano decided your cursor is basicly an emitter. If you move the cursor out of the map to prevent creeper from being created, you instantly fail the mission for trying that. Good luck and Have fun! #Levelception #Vulcano #Islands #Series #Spores #NoDigitalis #CRPL #NoAC #NoForge #Cursor

after losing the game second time, because my cursor went 1 mm outside the map, I will not finish it. The map has nothing special to it. It is just frustrating.

you seem to have decent abilities to design maps and use CPRL. However, sometimes I get the impression, that you are applying those skills in the wrong direction. This map is certainly an example of the latter.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on August 07, 2020, 11:53:59 AM
after losing the game second time, because my cursor went 1 mm outside the map, I will not finish it. The map has nothing special to it. It is just frustrating.

you seem to have decent abilities to design maps and use CPRL. However, sometimes I get the impression, that you are applying those skills in the wrong direction. This map is certainly an example of the latter.

Don't blame me. Blame the vulcano. It makes levels hard and isn't even spelled correctly. It will be gone after 1-2 more levels in this series. Too hard to get a new creative CRPL idea for each level involving vulcano.

Seriously though, I agree with you. I should have tried something different for the vulcano that is less annoying. I accept that this level is kind of a fail. Fails are part of the learning process after all. Lesson learned: Don't drop creeper from the cursor, it is way too annoying.

By the way, try not to quote autopost. We don't need to see the map image 2 times, so just do a regular post.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Johnny Haywire

I appreciate your ability to accept critique and improve your maps. This map really doesn't offer a challenge, aside from just remembering to pause before you touch your mouse... just in case. And being a player who almost never pauses (or saves) it was frustrating for me to lose my first attempt (because I walked away and forgot about the bizarre rules for about 4-5 nanoseconds).

Trying to play this game without pausing was too annoyingly difficult. Conversely, pausing the game made it far too easy.

If you could somehow just keep the creep spawning at the last spot where the cursor went off the map, that would be very helpful. The biggest challenge was remembering not to move the cursing cursed cursor off the map.

I do appreciate that you're trying new things though. So thanks for that, and I hope you keep it up!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on August 08, 2020, 11:35:06 PM
If you could somehow just keep the creep spawning at the last spot where the cursor went off the map, that would be very helpful.

That was exactly my idea at first, but I haven't done anything like that before so I didn't bother trying :P

And I never will, I decided a cursor that creates creeper is TOO evil. (Spores, on the other hand... Nah, just kidding... unless?) I made some AC cursor levels instead, and there is no point in trying to make people stay in-limits there as it doesn't prevent anything.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Johnny Haywire

Quote(Spores, on the other hand... Nah, just kidding... unless?)

LOL! I love the idea! Actually, spores would be much easier to deal with since you could just mass-beam your base (assuming you've built smartly). But I dunno that the cursor thing is really that fun. I dunno, maybe you could have it produce a random friendly or enemy structure every 30-60 seconds? At least you didn't make the terrain disappear under the cursor. That would be evil.  >:(

I did notice that the creeper pulsed regularly on this map, so it actually would be possible to do without pausing but man, would that be stressful.  :o

Thanks for continuing to come up with clever ideas!  ;D

Martin Gronsdal

ok, so now I forced myself to finish the map. I am now afraid to move the cursor too far from the middle of the screen while typing this. I will not sleep tonight

Johnny Haywire

Hey Martin.... zoom in as far as you can. That will at least help.

Also, I refused to touch my mouse without pressing "p" first. Maybe the "p" was for "paranoid" but at that point, I didn't care. It's not paranoia if they really are lurking outside your bedroom window just waiting for you to fall asleep so they can break in. Just sayin'.  :P

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on August 11, 2020, 11:16:34 PM
Hey Martin.... zoom in as far as you can. That will at least help.

Also, I refused to touch my mouse without pressing "p" first. Maybe the "p" was for "paranoid" but at that point, I didn't care. It's not paranoia if they really are lurking outside your bedroom window just waiting for you to fall asleep so they can break in. Just sayin'.  :P

yes, that's what I did as well. 2-3 times I forgot to hit P and got some creeper in the middle of my base, but I kept some cannons everywhere as preventive measures. Also, my heart stopped everytime I forgot to hit P and even looked at the mouse.

That's the reason for the (undeserved venting of) frustration in my first comment on this map

Johnny Haywire