Custom Map #8087: Flight by Death. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, January 05, 2020, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8087: Flight by Death

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 256x84

Desc:
It is the dream Of all who chase freedom To take flight far from home It is the nightmare Of all who have lost freedom That the only true fight comes in death #Sorrontiphobia #CRPL #YouKnewThereWouldBeCRPL #WhatElseWouldThereBe #HugsAndKisses #DontBeSilly #IDontGiveHugs #UnlessYouReallyNeedOne #ButYouDont #WeBothKnowIt #ThatsWhyYouAreHere #YouWantTorture #OrAtLeastDiscomfort #ThisWillBeUncomfortable #IPromise

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

knighty

love it.... but idk what to do, how to stop it? how to fight it?

get my ask kicked as soon as it starts shooting.... any tips anyone?   just rebuild?

Sorrontis

Quote from: knighty on January 05, 2020, 08:03:05 PM
love it.... but idk what to do, how to stop it? how to fight it?

get my ask kicked as soon as it starts shooting.... any tips anyone?   just rebuild?

Rebuild. Smartly.

It's not predictable, and it cannot be destroyed.

Spoiler
However, laser don't destroy units currently being constructed. Use that to your advantage
[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

knighty

Quote from: Sorrontis on January 05, 2020, 09:11:24 PM
Rebuild. Smartly.
It's not predictable, and it cannot be destroyed.
Spoiler
However, laser don't destroy units currently being constructed. Use that to your advantage
[close]

'm still lost,

Spoiler
ones it starts shooting a lot is destroys all my collectors and reactors - the chain reaction it sets off screws me over

I tried relays and reactors instead but it's no better

I must be missing somehting?
[close]

Sorrontis

To help you on your journey:

Spoiler

Here's a screenshot of my final positions when I won

[close]

knighty

I'll have another go tonight :-)

Spoiler
I did the same thing with reactors down the right hand edge, but they kept getting killed by the chain reaction when things get hit....

I thought I could beat that using relays instead of colectors later on and spread stuff out more but it didn't seam to help

I'll keep trying
[close]

thanks for the help, I really aprreciate it :-)

Lightforger

Laser can't hurt you if you beat the map in less than 10 minutes :D

knighty

I'm still totally lost

I normally build a base/fortress and then expand out from that... no time for that here, going my best but as soon as the laser starts shooting I'm done for, no matter what I try I'm lways retreating :-(

Lightforger

The laser can be avoided by going very slow (pause + N key to go frame-per-frame)
This way, if you keep some distance from the laser-shooter, you can see it before it damages your buildings, delete those that would be hit (no secondary lasers) and instantly rebuild them, since it doesn't hit in-progress buildings.

As for staying connected to the reactors, the most efficient would be something like this.

Edit; alternative tactic:
As long as you can clear the map about halfway, destroying the top 150/0.03 emitter and the spore launchers, "don't lose" becomes trivially easy, allowing you to sit back on x4 speed and collect 1000's of forge points like this:
bertha's are set to fire at the same time, cutting digitalis.
Spoiler
[close]

Johnny Haywire

Nah, an even easier alternative tactic:

Spoiler
Build to the right as shown in previous pics, but use guppies instead. The laser won't insta-kill pulse cannons or mortars, and will barely even scrape a bertha.
[close]

I didn't rebuild anything at all. That's just annoying. But this map is definitely cool and made me think for a bit.

And when I thought about the title, and listened to the rap music that Orville and Wilbur used to listen to back in the day, I realized something:

You gotta FLIGHT! for your WRIGHT! To PARRRRT-EEE! 

Thanks for the map, you non-hugging, hashtag-abusing, always-amusing dude, you!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Sorrontis

Johnny Haywire

You should totally go for a lower score on this map and release it with your "no pause, no save" crpl. Or was it limited pauses? That's one of my favorite crpl maps ever. Might cause a little bit of rage though. Maybe. Just sayin'.
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

knighty

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on January 08, 2020, 02:14:09 AM
Nah, an even easier alternative tactic:

Spoiler
Build to the right as shown in previous pics, but use guppies instead. The laser won't insta-kill pulse cannons or mortars, and will barely even scrape a bertha.
[close]

I didn't rebuild anything at all. That's just annoying. But this map is definitely cool and made me think for a bit.

And when I thought about the title, and listened to the rap music that Orville and Wilbur used to listen to back in the day, I realized something:

You gotta FLIGHT! for your WRIGHT! To PARRRRT-EEE! 

Thanks for the map, you non-hugging, hashtag-abusing, always-amusing dude, you!

you're a genious
Spoiler
gummies did it for me
[close]

thanks for the help

Alan :-)

Sorrontis

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on January 08, 2020, 05:06:19 PM
You should totally go for a lower score on this map and release it with your "no pause, no save" crpl. Or was it limited pauses? That's one of my favorite crpl maps ever. Might cause a little bit of rage though. Maybe. Just sayin'.

Well, now you interest me very much. I should do that. Modify the land a little bit.
Yep. I'm doing it. Thanks for the suggestion