Custom Map #8070: MPZ-22. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, January 02, 2020, 12:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8070: MPZ-22

Author: yum234
Size: 256x190

Desc:
One more experimental map with units and features created by Master Harrymcb and Master Regallion. You can enjoy FASCINATING FREEDOM by using Movable Power Zones. Also when you destroy emitters or Spore Towers thanks to Power Redistribution System game became more and more interesting (by time). At the end of game you can obtain surprise - conversion of creeper spores into anti-creeper spores!

Helper

Great one to wake up to in the morning, but it's taking a lot longer than I thought.
Killing lots of Creep and Crawlers.
Thanks,
H

chwooly

Power Distribution system is another idea that should not have made it into maps.

It is a feature in Particle Fleet that is so over used that it helped to bring about the early demise of a game that has a lot of potential by turning maps that could have been fun into boooring slog fests and it is doing it to this map as well'

the only valid strategy here seems to be to not destroy anything and just hope you can get everything suppressed enough that you can then set off all nullifiers at 1 time and get all emitters/towers at the same time. I am over 1 hour into the game and want to rip my eyes out instead of continue placing nullifiers and slogging thru this mess. I am not even sure if you can reach all emitters with standard nullifiers or do you have to place them on a PZ to get to some of the emitters.

I have nullified a few towers and emitters and have no feeling of accomplishment, With conventional maps at least you can see where you have been and even when it is taking along time you can zoom out and see that "hey I have cleared up a bunch of stuff. Just a little longer" With this map zoom out and there are a lot units and and lots of stuff firing but nothing is cleared up and if 1 spore slips thru all the time you have played is wasted.

Yum I hope you continue to make maps but PDS should die a quick and silent death and never be used again.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Builder17

Quote from: chwooly on January 02, 2020, 11:29:49 AM
Power Distribution system is another idea that should not have made it into maps.

While I agree that it isn't perfect, maybe this problem could be fixed?

yum-forum

Why it is impossible to think that this map just long battle with increasing difficulty of gameplay? In many maps after starting middle and end part of game too easy and repeatable...
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

chwooly

Quote from: Builder17 on January 02, 2020, 11:46:27 AM
Quote from: chwooly on January 02, 2020, 11:29:49 AM

While I agree that it isn't perfect, maybe this problem could be fixed?

I am not sure it could be fixed because the problem seems to be the people that use the scripts and the few more vocal players that seem to enjoy these maps. if there was a limit to how it is used maybe that might help but there doesn't seem to be.  If  the amount that was transferred was 1/2 or 1/4 of the existing item you nullified again maybe; but it at least in PF most set it at 100% transfer so by the time you got to the last emitter your are still dealing wth 6000 particles.

Possibly that is not the way here but the few spore towers I destroyed seem to increase every remaining spore tower by at least 1 spore. And when you have 20 or more towers and they all increase by 1 when you have destroyed a tower that only has 1 something is broken, Of course I could be wrong, But this is my impression from playing, Not that I sat with the map and made a detailed analysis,

I dislike the way PDS is implemented both on this map and in general. So while in general it is not impossible to enjoy increased difficulty, the real problem is most maps over a certain size become repetitious, easy should follow as you get better skills from the Forge. The forge is a major part of game play and 1 reason for that is that it makes things easier. Just look at how poorly maps do that don't have or reduce the forge. Comments on a map with out a forge are almost always "Were is the forge" Because most people want the map to become easier. With PDS the forge might as well not exist. IF it stays at the same difficulty level thru the whole map there is again "No sense of accomplishment". 

Cheers

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

yum-forum

Fresh video from PRG:

Please subscribe to PRG channel and support his activity!  :)

The same video with 2X speed;

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

TrickyPlayer

I myself made a quite lazy script/method to simulate growing in power when the player progresses. This automatically scales the difficulty to the amount of progress, as long as you input the right values. Description is in the spoiler. 
Spoiler
Move any delays on top of the script if possible. Then, below that, add a few 'randcoords getcreeper 0 gte if' lines, and don't forget to add 'endif' at the end of the code. Boom, your unit now gets stronger the more creeper is removed! When using this you should make sure most of the level is filled with creeper at the start. Also, it doesn't work very well with space, but you can fix that without too much problems. Method to do so is to replace the above code (at the same place) with:
Spoiler
randcoords ->random
<-random GetTerrain 0 gt if
<-random GetCreeper 0 gte if
(The script you want to be stronger if less terrain is filled with creeper, and weaker with more terrain covered)
endif
endif
[close]

I used it in a few levels myself. I only used it with simple things but there is no reason it wouldn't work with complicated scripts as long as they only use 'delay' once in the code. Use #---------- to make visible where this 'code' is, so you won't confuse it with other scripts.
[close]

Also, in this case your progress actually matters. If you have to fall back the enemies also weaken a bit, so you don't instantly lose the level, just some time.

I know nobody asked, but I thought it could be useful to share this because the topic is about a scaling system that doesn't work the way people like it.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P