Custom Map: Uphill Struggle II

Started by AutoPost, May 25, 2010, 07:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Uphill Struggle II

Author: Xirema

Desc:
Much, MUCH harder version of Uphill Struggle, with a stricter time limit and and earlier onset of difficulty effects.

Xirema

EASY MODE: http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2000&page=

Won my own map with 2 seconds to spare. I'm hoping better players than me can find some better times, because I only used 9 minutes to make sure that the game was winnable.

EDIT: Added link to prior, easier version.

EDIT2: of the hard mode, to help players who probably haven't pulled it off yet.

mthw2vc

Overall a nice puzzle map, but "brutal" is not the word. I beat it on my first try with over 2 minutes to spare. The real trick is to realize that the emitters in the low ground are very weak and make almost no difference to your space if you don't build blasters.

Xirema

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 30, 2010, 04:55:23 PM
Overall a nice puzzle map, but "brutal" is not the word. I beat it on my first try with over 2 minutes to spare. The real trick is to realize that the emitters in the low ground are very weak and make almost no difference to your space if you don't build blasters.

You're a pretty good player then. =D

That thing with the emitters tripped me up a little, design-wise.... They spread quickly when they first start generating, which then is rather deceiving up until the point where you realize that they aren't going to extend past a certain distance.

And to be fair, I used the word "brutal" when I first put up the map a week or 2 ago, and back then, it WAS brutal..... for me, anyways. I am far from a good player still.

mthw2vc

Yeah... I only know because I didn't quite get all of my blasters up before the emitters actually came on. I figured i could get them up a few seconds late, and I was right. I probably shouldn't have even built them.

If I remade this map, I would make the emitters on the low ground come on a minute earlier and emit 1 every 1 second or so, a bit longer if needed, but out of sync a little so you can still cap more than one with a single blaster but it kills your base if you leave it unchecked.

Xirema

Well, I'm making a third (and final) version, so I'll remember that.