Custom Map #5991: CSM-10 NEW ADVENTURE. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, June 21, 2018, 08:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #5991: CSM-10 NEW ADVENTURE

Author: yum234
Size: 144x144

Desc:
Cirnucanis Style Map. Stargate game with new features. First. Spore Tower (red color) may have negative Power and decrease output of all anti-creeper emitters. Second. In game was introduced new mode of stargates - "semiconductor". White color inside stargates means that only anti-creeper can pass. Blue color inside stargates means that only creeper can pass. Black color inside - the same as befor. #BravoCornucanis #GoodLuck

chwooly

So I am still in the middle of the game, But something doesn't seem correct.

To the west of the top landing strip are 2 red colored dots with white insides, This means that only AC can pass, However they keep flooding with Creeper. did you reverse the colors and mean that white allows creeper and blue allows AC?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

yum-forum

Mechanics of one color networks of gates so that each/every gate add creeper or anti-creeper to SUM which divided to all gates. Usually any normal gates (black inside, not semiconductor type) add creeper or anti-creeper. Gates with white color inside can add to SUM of all gates only anti-creeper. Gates with blue color inside - only creeper. And if SUM of all gates "creeper" in this case through gate with white color inside will flow creeper.
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

cornucanis

Yum and I discussed a few different ways to make the "semiconductor" portals operate, the way they work is that unless they have the proper type of creep under them (either creeper or AC) they will remain inactive. Once they are flooded with the proper type, though, they will connect to that color of portal network just as any other portal. So a white (AC-conducting) portal can still receive creeper once activated by AC, but it can't operate without AC on it.

chwooly

Thanks, Now it is clear. LOL

Fun map, hope you keep them coming

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

wick

It was an interesting concept, but in the end it kind of failed on delivery.  I largely just ignored the evil spores and ate the negative impact of them.  They are far too difficult to segment off.  You can't terraform around them while they're submerged in creeper, and I found that trying to segment them away when I finally got my anti-creeper near them was just too time consuming.  Once they're submerged in anti-creeper, there's basically no going back other than trying to somehow let the creeper back in, which is sort of counter to the whole concept here.

As others have noted, the blue/white/black mechanics of the gates is utterly confusing.  Again, I just ignored them.  The blue ones seemed to produce AC and the white ones seemed to produce creeper.  I didn't really care, in the end, because by the time they made a difference the entire map was filled with AC.  What I was *expecting* to happen was if the AI shoved creeper in the blue gates, it would average across all of the blue gates.  If the AI shove creeper over the white gates, nothing would happen.  Similar for the player.  I still have no clue what the black gates do.  In the previous map(s) they appeared to just produce an averaged amount of creeper across all of the black gates?  I don't know.  I remember on one of the previous maps, even when I had most of the map covered with creeper, the black gates were still producing creeper.

Don't get me wrong here.  I just binged on all 8 of your maps and enjoyed all of them.  This last one was, by far, my least favorite of the 8.  If the mechanics of a map are so complicated that you have to visit a forum just to understand what it's supposed to do, then you've basically failed on the mechanic.

I rarely post.  I just figured I'd give some constructive feedback, particularly on this map.  The concept of these maps is really good.  Obviously you're looking for something to differentiate them.  I applaud that.  I wouldn't continue with either of these mechanics though.  I do like the averaging across the colored wormholes.  That mechanic is excellent.

yum-forum

Very nice and constructive feedback! Big thanks! :)

We with Cornucanis now thinking how to improve gameplay in future maps. And your comments is very helpful!

Best regards,

yum234
last

cornucanis

Thanks for coming to the forums to share your feedback, wick! It's great to hear what people do and don't like about the maps since honestly the popularity of the series has been a bit surprising for us. We've been enthusiastic about the series from the start, but the reception has been pretty great! I'd be happy to address some of the points you raised.

QuoteI largely just ignored the evil spores and ate the negative impact of them.  They are far too difficult to segment off.  You can't terraform around them while they're submerged in creeper, and I found that trying to segment them away when I finally got my anti-creeper near them was just too time consuming.  Once they're submerged in anti-creeper, there's basically no going back other than trying to somehow let the creeper back in, which is sort of counter to the whole concept here.

We're experimenting with these new ideas and trying to see if it's possible to fit them into the gameplay as a way of adding an additional layer of difficulty to the late game of the maps. One of the common complaints has been how easy it is to steamroll the maps when you get a foothold, which admittedly is a problem with all CW3 maps but still one we'd like to address if at all possible.

I agree that this map didn't give the best options to "protect" the negative emitters, but I'm confident yum can give us better options in the future as he gets more used to working with the different tools. You'll definitely notice a rapid increase of his mastery when designing maps with the original portals after the first few.

QuoteAs others have noted, the blue/white/black mechanics of the gates is utterly confusing.  Again, I just ignored them.  The blue ones seemed to produce AC and the white ones seemed to produce creeper.  I didn't really care, in the end, because by the time they made a difference the entire map was filled with AC.  What I was *expecting* to happen was if the AI shoved creeper in the blue gates, it would average across all of the blue gates.  If the AI shove creeper over the white gates, nothing would happen.  Similar for the player.

After some discussion we have changed the way the portals with colored centers work so it should be more intuitive now. The way it now works is that they will always be able to receive creeper as normal from other portals, but they will not send anything other than the "proper type" of creeper. This should behave more like what you've described.

QuoteI still have no clue what the black gates do.  In the previous map(s) they appeared to just produce an averaged amount of creeper across all of the black gates?  I don't know.  I remember on one of the previous maps, even when I had most of the map covered with creeper, the black gates were still producing creeper.

Yeah I think the black gates may not have been the best addition to the series since they're so counter-intuitive. As you've mentioned, you shouldn't have to come to the forums to learn how a map works, but since you're already here: The black gates take an average across all black gates just as the other color gates would, except the average is then inverted. So if the average was 100 creeper it would instead send out a bunch of anti-creeper. Basically they were just intended to cause chaos and encourage the player to avoid them, but I'm starting to think there may not be many "good" ways to incorporate them into maps.

QuoteI rarely post.  I just figured I'd give some constructive feedback, particularly on this map.  The concept of these maps is really good.  Obviously you're looking for something to differentiate them.  I applaud that.  I wouldn't continue with either of these mechanics though.  I do like the averaging across the colored wormholes.  That mechanic is excellent.

Thanks for your honest feedback. I think yum will probably make at least a few more maps with these elements as this map was more of a learning phase for both us and the players. I cannot speak for yum, but if we continue to get negative reactions we certainly may reconsider some of these elements. I'm confident in yum's mapmaking abilities though and think he can make some very interesting gameplay with these new tools.

yum-forum

last

yum-forum

last

yum-forum

last