Custom Map #5062: DotGalore. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, November 28, 2017, 02:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #5062: DotGalore

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 78x78

Desc:
The land, it's fully dotted! #LimitedUnits #CRPL #Cropple #ChangingLand #Sorrontiphobia

Sorrontis

I'm sure there's a petition somewhere online to get me to stop making maps... :P
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

toolforger

Yeah, the Terp is too squishy and too expensive (read: slow) to rebuild whenever you fail to move it away in time.
And I haven't figured out whether I need the Terp to get to my next target or not. Or what the first target should be.
(I did figure out what to do with the ore. That's some devious thinking on your side!)

It's pretty new and interesting, though it's a bit frustrating right now.
Mostly because I hate having to restart just because I didn't know what the rules of the land are; but that's essentially my playstyle, I'm pretty sure the riddle solvers will love this.

BTW what the heck is #Cropple?

Sorrontis

Quote from: toolforger on November 28, 2017, 05:41:45 PM
Yeah, the Terp is too squishy and too expensive (read: slow) to rebuild whenever you fail to move it away in time.
And I haven't figured out whether I need the Terp to get to my next target or not. Or what the first target should be.
(I did figure out what to do with the ore. That's some devious thinking on your side!)

It's pretty new and interesting, though it's a bit frustrating right now.
Mostly because I hate having to restart just because I didn't know what the rules of the land are; but that's essentially my playstyle, I'm pretty sure the riddle solvers will love this.

BTW what the heck is #Cropple?

There are no rules!

#CRPL + OPE = #CROPPLE  ;D
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Loren Pechtel

Major pain in the rear, micromanagement hell.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Sorrontis

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on November 28, 2017, 08:31:29 PM
Major pain in the rear, micromanagement hell.

Yes it is! Part of the fun? I want to see Alter Old play it!

Quote from: yum-forum on November 28, 2017, 08:38:32 PM
Very original game play!  :o 8) >:( :D :)

Well... it's "different" :D

Alter Old

Bravissimo! Very Good #CRPL.
For me this #CRPL map, in complexity and variability, divides the first place with the Custom Map #2441: Tripwire. By: warren. Thank you.
As usual, forgive for my English.

Sorrontis

That is the biggest praise I could have hoped for. Thank you Alter!

toolforger

Still stuck :-(
Can't find out how to control the dots.
Can't keep the mine alive long enough to be practically useful (besides it's a huge energy investment).
Can't destroy more creeper than I'm getting.
Can't keep the mortars powered, even if it's just two of them.
:-(((

Sorrontis

I can give it a quick play through maybe tonight or tomorrow. Give you a video. I'll see if I have time.

Sorrontis

Here's the video:

It's uploading right now, give it a couple hours, it's a 1.5gb video.

EDIT: nearly 2 hours in.... only 30% .... so, umm... come back in the morning?

Here ya go, it's ready.

daniels220

Hah, glad I saw this on the forum or I would never have seen it—I tend to filter by rating just to weed out junk, but that weeds out good-but-hard maps too...

My tips & takeaways:

Spoiler
* In case you don't already know this—pause a lot. Like seriously, I issued basically all commands while paused, and rarely unpaused for more than 5-15 seconds of game time, especially early game. This is good advice on any map, but becomes more important the more difficult the map is and/or the harder you're trying for a fast time.
* You can't control the dots, sorry. But it's worth noting that they won't destroy units that find themselves on no-longer-buildable terrain, so take advantage of opportunities to build—they may vanish later.
* You can get to a lot of the pickups extremely quickly. Take advantage of the 0 build cost of collectors to rapidly build and destroy long chains of them to get to each pickup in turn. Some of them require waiting for the first ones to take effect so you have more collectors, others need a couple relays, and some are at least easiest to reach by bridging with a flying unit—I used a disabled Shield, as the cheapest thing to build, and later the Terp as well. Also, the first terrain change makes accessible some spots that are not when you start the map—pay attention!
* Build all your Collectors early—even the tiny bit of extra power is enough to keep you in the green building a Nullifier, though charging it will take some time.
* Focus on nullifying the two emitters under your CN and getting a Mortar working on the Creeper there. If you can have it clear before the terrain-change reaches you, you can build two reactors on the PZs (they don't have to finish before the terrain change gets there, just be placed) and you're pretty much set on energy—or at least you'll have plenty to build more reactors.
* I didn't actually use the mine until late-game, when I had collected and had space for the bomber—though I snuck my way to it earlier than you might think, waaaay before nullifying those emitters. I assume you're thinking of the AC rain when a CN lifts off...could be a neat idea, but I didn't bother.
* You need the terp less than you might think—the constantly-changing terrain will usually open up opportunities sooner or later. I did need it very early, to kill the left emitter under the CN, but after that I hardly used it until I had a bunch of mortars and shields established.
* Remember that shields can stop spores—and you don't have to leave them armed all the time, just when spores are in flight (or even better, when you know roughly where the spore will land—watch the shadow!—just arm the shield(s) it might hit).
[close]