[Suggestion] Rotatable modules

Started by Three_Pryme, October 19, 2016, 10:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three_Pryme

This may or may not already be a feature but i dont know. In the ship editor, can we have the ability to rotate modules like engines and fighter bays? I'm currently making a ship with engines on two sides so its much more maneuverable.
Commanding officer in particle extermination

Steam ID:Three_Pryme

Sorrontis

Quote from: Three_Pryme on October 19, 2016, 10:17:20 PM
This may or may not already be a feature but i dont know. In the ship editor, can we have the ability to rotate modules like engines and fighter bays? I'm currently making a ship with engines on two sides so its much more maneuverable.

Already asked. The answer was no (except maybe for the air strip), mostly because of the computations that would be required to make ships with rotated modules like engines and CMs.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Three_Pryme

Commanding officer in particle extermination

Steam ID:Three_Pryme

PhailRaptor

Is Virgil taking requests for additional standard modules?  Because a rotational thruster would be both cool and useful....

Karsten75

Quote from: Three_Pryme on October 19, 2016, 10:17:20 PM

Rotating engines are complex, since it would involve calculating thrust in different directions and would greatly complicate ship movement code, so unlikely to happen.

Fighter bays are the only units that can potentially have a legit reason to be rotated to make them fi within a hull - all other units are square and omni-directional.  I believe Virgil has indicated in passing that he can see a requirement to rotate them. I have not seen this appear on any to-do list, though, so I don't know if it just got forgotten about or if he decided not to do it.

Quote from: PhailRaptor on October 20, 2016, 07:19:33 AM
Is Virgil taking requests for additional standard modules?  Because a rotational thruster would be both cool and useful....

I doubt it. I believe Virgil is more focused on implementing custom modules so ship builders can do all the cool things they wish themselves.