General-purpose selection script and PaC adaptation

Started by GoodMorning, June 20, 2016, 04:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Hello again all,

I've been looking at custom unit scripting, and more specifically making the Siege Laser something that can be disengaged or otherwise commanded.

However, the best way to do this seems to be something like the PaC Select.crpl script.

While the existing script is very good, it depends upon a number of other scripts, and is sometimes cumbersome to use. Also, some units should not be destructible.

Therefore, I propose to develop a variant which will work in a less specific way, and can be easily persuaded to ignore parts of the screen (for the PaC menu, and other such things <innocent whistle>). This would behave in a similar way, but require no additional scripts. The existing one uses GetCoresWithVar already, which can just as easily hunt down the variable within the script that needs it. Also, this can allow for units to set the size of their selection circle. It would need a bit of internal calibration to ensure that the selection knows which script it is setting the variable in.

However, this seems to be something which would likely have been done before. Rather than reinvent the wheel...

Either way, at the rate I'm going, this selecter script will likely be built into a custom menu tab core dedicated unit, allowing construction of any custom unit it to be tidier. If I do the full menu, the CRPL tab will be interesting to make, as I'll need to do some tricks with EnableAlternateControlMode. Does anyone know if it's possible to show only a segment of an image?

Edit: It seems that such a thing does exist already, although in a different form to that which I expected. Does anyone know if there's one other than planetfall's Celestial menu?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

planetfall

Quote from: GoodMorning on June 20, 2016, 04:02:29 AM
Edit: It seems that such a thing does exist already, although in a different form to that which I expected. Does anyone know if there's one other than planetfall's Celestial menu?

If you want just a single button, you can use Estrox by Mikoz as a basis. If you want an entire menu, I think mine is the only one out there.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

GoodMorning

A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.