Unofficial Beta Poll

Started by Karsten75, June 01, 2016, 07:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay a premium to participate in an early Beta of Particle Fleet (next game)?

I am not interested in Beta participation
1 (2.4%)
I would have to be paid to perform Beta testing activities
1 (2.4%)
I would pay less than the market price of the game to Beta test the game
11 (26.8%)
I would pay full price of the game for a Beta copy
25 (61%)
I would pay between 1 and two times the market price for a Beta copy
2 (4.9%)
I would pay more than 2x the market price for a Beta copy
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: June 30, 2016, 01:50:55 PM

Karsten75

This poll is unofficial and unsanctioned. If Virgil sees it, he may remove it.

I was wondering if those people that are eager to get the game would be willing to pay a price premium to be involved in the early testing of the game. At best your name would appear in the game credits. Some early maps you make may appear in a special section of the game. No other rewards or recognition will be forthcoming.

For this you would have to play several missions many times over, your game progress gets wiped a few times and you suffer from more bugs and an unbalanced game at some point in time during development.

You are also prohibited from talking about the game, making videos, screenshots or in any other way release information on the game during development.

GoodMorning

I can't commit to the time needed, so I will have patience.

The chance to give early feedback would be more than enough for me, were I in a position to do this.

It feels like the Creeper Nation will step up to the mark, though.

If nothing else, pay-for-beta might be a way to donate-to-KnuckleCracker as has bee requested before.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

jaworeq

I'm not a fan of early access, or what it became lately, but there is a bunch of studios that do it properly. Games like Factorio, Kerbal Space Program or Prison Architect did just that, I bought all of them in early access and I'm happy with my purchase.
I feel the same about PF, that's why I would be willing to buy it and play/test early. Hence, the full price answer.

mzimmer74

Assuming that paying the full price of the game for a beta copy gets me a full game when it comes out then yes, I would pay full price (since I'll be buying the game anyway).  Not sure how much testing I'd be able to do though.  I'm not a map maker (tried once...that was enough) but do like playing other people's maps.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Fireball14

If i get full game eventually i would pay full price.

4xC

On one hand, I would be quite willing to pay full price for the beta version if it meant I would get the final copy free.

On the other hand, I got into CW3 beta as a MapMod from CW2 and subsequently got CW3 beta access and the final copy for free, plus a free Steam key. So I don't know for sure if I would pay any more than full game price for a beta key; it probably would be with the expectation that I would get the final copy for free. Beyond that, I guess I can part with somthing less than the full price as extra for having early access.

Whether I would actually want financial returns or not depends on how much is asked of testers by comparison to how much was asked for CW3.
C,C,C,C

Shockblast DX

Well, based on how much the game is finished, the beta testers wouldn't have much to worry about. It's basically: here's a mistake; fix it. Here's a mistake; fix it. This part of the game could be better; make it something like ___.

The beta version is made for updates and upgrades. The testers are there to spot the problems the developers can't see.

strigvir

Why is the second option even a thing? It is [THE CURRENT YEAR], beta-testers should pay to beta-test.

planetfall

Quote from: strigvir on June 05, 2016, 08:12:12 AM
Why is the second option even a thing? It is [THE CURRENT YEAR], beta-testers should pay to beta-test.

Tell that to all paid QA people.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

SuperTerminator

Quote from: planetfall on June 05, 2016, 09:26:42 AM

Some development studios hire professionals to test virtually every aspect of the game and its engine to see exactly what can be/needs to be fixed.

As to the topic, a paid beta would be cool, but I don't see a reason for virgilw to actually make a beta because the game is too small of a scale to have many elements that require a high number of testers.
I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

hbarudi

Do wish to beta test this game or any game. From the videos it looks like the game is so close yet still have some left before completion.

bobthebike

Going by the Quality and support for previous games,  it should be grand.

Vanguard

Which currently is exactly my job. Yes, I get paid to test computergames. Dreamjob, right? Wrrooonnnggg!

After the hundreth iteration of the same scenario, to try and recreate this one specific bug, you are ready to throw yourself of a cliff. Thrust me. Luckily, I get to code as well so it´s not as bad and I can go ahead and fix the bugs myself for a good part.  8)

Fireball14

Quote from: Vanguard on July 26, 2016, 09:57:32 AM

Which currently is exactly my job. Yes, I get paid to test computergames. Dreamjob, right? Wrrooonnnggg!
Yeh, same here. After playing my game for 4000 time, its a little...boring.

After the hundreth iteration of the same scenario, to try and recreate this one specific bug, you are ready to throw yourself of a cliff. Thrust me. Luckily, I get to code as well so it´s not as bad and I can go ahead and fix the bugs myself for a good part.  8)

Sorrontis

I didn't vote, but if there's a beta, I would join depending on the price (I'll pay up to full price - assuming I get the game once the official comes out). KC's work is great and I want to support it. But if virgil will give it to me free, I won't say no :P
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."