What does THIS button do?

Started by GoodMorning, May 30, 2016, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

I'm trying to balance a "random effect" script.

So far, I've got a number of different events, some of which are very friendly, others... less so.
However, some things change the game balance significantly. (It's possible to get a Spore storm that is harmless to any unit not insta-killed, or for Digi to once again act as an impenetrable barrier to the Creeper)

Does anyone have recommendations for balancing? Currently it seems to jump between too friendly and too harsh.

There's a picture to go with it, otherwise children are invisible. Custom0 slot.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Well, then make a bunch of different options that are slightly good or slightly bad, and make those really harsh/good ones more rare.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Builder17

IMO you should fully remove these very gameplay affecting ones fully , scores in map could change lot because big luck element in map.

J

For a better random distribution, don't choose one randomly each time, but put all effects in a list and shuffle it once all effects have been played once (like a playing cards deck). You can even put the most harsh/friendly ones on a fixed position in the list to reduce the luck element in the scores.
example

1. random
2. fixed super friendly
3. random
4. fixed super harsh
5. random
6. random
7. fixed super harsh

Every time the list iterator returns at #1, four random effect are distributed accros 1, 3, 5 and 6, making it unpredictable for the player.
Make sure either the first or last element is fixed to prevent the same effect happening two times in a row.
[close]

Shockblast DX

You could also do a Select Random Number line, and then add a if-else for each number given. For the slightly good/bad, place more numbers in that if spot. Otherwise, put less for the worse/better ones.

GoodMorning

I think that J's suggestion will work best. Thanks.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Shockblast DX