Custom Map #3054: Mass Driver. By: Rhadamante

Started by AutoPost, January 18, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #3054: Mass Driver

Author: Rhadamante
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Originally made for the wrath of gods achievement.

TLFP

Currently ghosting, don't mind me.
Christian, my list of various content creation groups can be found here

Johnny Haywire

Yeah but you have to actually do something to win - and unlike many people's maps that come across as being a challenge when in reality they are simple "kill-the-inhibitor-and-win-in-less-than-2-minutes" maps... this one doesn't claim to be anything it's not. I'd much rather a map be honest than deceitful.

This map is a "who-can-win-the-fastest" map. And although I don't claim to be a prophet, I'm going to guess Alter Old will post 1:10 or less, since I hit 1:24 pretty easily on my second try. Won't be surprised if he figures out a way to do it under 1m.

So think of this as more of a puzzle map than a regular map.
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

teknotiss

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on January 18, 2016, 10:27:39 AM
Yeah but you have to actually do something to win - and unlike many people's maps that come across as being a challenge when in reality they are simple "kill-the-inhibitor-and-win-in-less-than-2-minutes" maps... this one doesn't claim to be anything it's not. I'd much rather a map be honest than deceitful.

This map is a "who-can-win-the-fastest" map. And although I don't claim to be a prophet, I'm going to guess Alter Old will post 1:10 or less, since I hit 1:24 pretty easily on my second try. Won't be surprised if he figures out a way to do it under 1m.

So think of this as more of a puzzle map than a regular map.

achievement maps AND insta-win maps are not permitted in CS...  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Karsten75

This is not, IMNSHO, an achievement map, even if OP said it was "originally" intended as such, the wording lead me to believe it has been modified. And it presents a challenge.

Johnny Haywire

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking... a bit different than maps like this one...
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=19991

:-X

*Refraining from comments which would compare IQ's with imaginary numbers and shoe sizes*
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Grayzzur

First I thought, it fell prey to the "make it challenging by cranking the creeper up to 2000" paradigm. There are more interesting ways to make a map challenging. But it's not an instant-win achievement map, and at the same time not one that requires a slog through piles of creeper. So, I would hesitate to report it. It is easy once you figure out the right tactics, but that can be said about many of the best maps.

I would simply recommend the author go for a better description next time.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Rhadamante

First of all, sorry for the late explanation/possible necro-posting, as, as the fool I am, I just discovered that little 'forum' button in CS.
As you may have guessed, I'm the creator of the map and I had no idea achievements map weren't allowed.

With that being said, although that map would give you the Wrath of God achievement (the reason I started the project), if I decided to upload it, it's because I thought playing with the Mass AoO was funny. We don't get enough in regular maps to experiment so I just created one with that in mind. Basically, a "use the AoO in the right way to win quickly or get overrun" kind of map.

I don't know if I missed the uploading rules or if I overlooked them, but I'll keep them in mind if I ever upload another map in the future.

Karsten75

It's all fine and your map (as well as future maps) is welcome.